Lounge Doctor

3½ Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel

Country
United States United States
Well I am about 3½ months out from my knee replacement surgery and I can honestly say that my knee is no longer the first thing I think about each time I move! Wow, I didn't think I would be able to say that! That doesn't mean that it still doesn't swell or that I don't ice and elevate it. I am just so happy that I can get out of a chair and walk with first leaning on something to get myself going.

I have been back to work full time since I was 7 weeks out. I will admit it was tough at first and I was exhausted each day. I also took the week between Christmas and New Year's off so I had some extra resting time. I ice and elevate my knee at my desk mid morning and mid afternoon each day, and make sure that I walk the long way to the freezer both ways so I do get some time away from my desk. I also ice and elevate both morning and night at home.

I have been doing the stretches and exercises that my PT recommended each morning, and riding my new recumbent bike 15-20 minutes both morning and night. I have had some trouble with bursitis in my hips but they seem to be better since I have gotten cortisone shots in them.

I know that I still have a long ways to go, and lots of stamina yet to gain (and much more weight that I would like to lose - 10 lbs so far), but I finally feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am not boasting by any means, I just wanted to share my story in the hope that it helps others. I read the forums everyday but don't often have time to respond to posts. However, the help that I have gotten here has been the best! Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Yes - boast, boast! That's really great, Kel. And back at work in week 8, eh? That's going some! I also think you have your schedule spot on right now. Enough but not too much. Well done you.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Way to go, Kel.....it is amazing, isn't it, that you are starting to NOT think of your knee. I remember that feeling well.

maryo52

big-cheese
Country
Kel, Thank you so much for sharing. How we need these inspiring stories! I've recently been taking stock of all the alien sensations that go with TKR. Your story plants the notion in my head that at the end of February maybe I'll have a similar report to make.

Happy for you!

leenie60

graduate
Country
Kel - I agree boast all you want - it's the ups and downs that we all have and it helps to have the positives to look forward too! I give you a lot of credit for going back to work when you did and for losing weight which is never easy. I'm hoping to be able to ice and elevate at work. You are being very diligent about that and about your PT you are absolutely to be commended for such perseverance. I went for a walk on the beach today and had to trudge through the snow to get there. We went to check on my BF's boat so I marched through the snow then made sure I walked heel to toe in the sand (with my boots on of course). I will do some stretches later. Again, congratulations on your progress - keep up the good work.

cjsmom02

Yeah Kel !!! :th_jumpy:

I had one of those Aha moments yesterday as well. I was at work, got up from the desk from doing some charting and was walking down the hall when all of a sudden I realized I did that without any pain, twinges, or soreness at all!! :th_yay: I'm 11½ weeks post op, so to have that feeling was amazing!

Boast all you want! It's what gets us all through to the same point one day! :wink:

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
That's fantastic, Chris. I so love to hear about those moments! :th_yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics