THR 2week THR sudden sharp pains.

Jcollins

Country
United States United States
Hello! First time posting. Im 44 and had double THR this year. I'm 6 weeks out on my right(it's doing amazing, little to no pain). I'm currently 2weeks out on my left hip. Everything has been smooth till yesterday. I suddenly am experiencing sharp raidating groin/thigh pains while walking, weight bearing, and even laying flat.
I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience. It is same sharp pains I experienced before surgery as well. Has anyone been through hip flexor tendinitis of any sort? Or what a possible infection pain would be?
I have been doing some pt and spinned(only 10 mins, no resistance)on a bike with no pain before this happened. So good chance I over did it and it needs rest I suppose.
I have contacted my surgeon. I will write some updates.
Thanks,
Jules

Last edited:
@Jcollins Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you give me the dates of your surgeries. I'll put the information in your signature for you.

You say you are only 6 weeks post op for right and 2 weeks post op for the left. I am afraid that is way too early to be spinning - even without resistance. You have just had 2 major surgeries. Unless you slow down and let those hips heal you are heading for a long and complicated recovery. Post both my THRs I was instructed to stay off any stationary bike until 12 weeks out and then stick with no resistance until 3 months out.

The decision is yours. But your hips are now in charge. Listen to them and you can't go wrong.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I have been doing some pt and spinned(only 10 mins, no resistance)on a bike with no pain before this happened. So good chance I over did it and it needs rest I suppose.
Oh Jules, there's your answer, luv. It's the most difficult part of recovery, tempering the activities.
My colleague left you some great reading material to go over. Hopefully you will take the time to read through it.

the best advice is at the end..
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

You are finding out that no two hips recover in the same way, not even on the same person. But! It gets better if you just let things calm down.

Would you consider skipping PT for another 4 weeks at least?

Take care and keep us posted, we are genuinely interested.

@Jcollins

Thank you all for your advice. I saw my PT today and Yes she agrees I over did it.
Yes, no problem holding off on PT. For 4 weeks.
My hip flexors are fired up and want nothing to do but rest.
So I am taking all this advice from all of you and my PT. Im slamming the brakes and letting my body heal.
I also realized with my first surgery I had so much pain still with my other hip that I definitely gave it much more rest than I have been doing now.
I got excited to be without pain foe the first time in over a year so I just want to be strong and play with my kids again.
My ultimate goal is to have an active life long term.
Yes, 2 major surgeries very close together.
Must chill and heal.
Thank you all.
Much appreciate this group.
Happy Holidays.

My head is spinning at the thought of you spinning so soon in your recovery! Your poor body is saying no, no, no, no. I overdid it, too, though, so I guess I cant lecture :dancy: Take care.

I got excited to be without pain foe the first time in over a year so I just want to be strong and play with my kids again.
Boy, does this resonate. Isn't that the truth? We want to be normal and play and well, be normal.

It will come. So pleased your PT is in agreement. You may find that you won't even need the PT after 4 weeks. Walking and activities of daily living (ADL) is usually enough.

Good news to read you're going to take it easy for awhile.
I think you'll be happy you did. You'll be playing with your kids before you know it.

We're glad you joined us. Happy Holidays!
@Jcollins

Welcome and listen to all the amazing hippies here who have come before you! They have been my lifeline this last 10 months.
So many knowledgeable and experienced voices.
Now listen to that little voice in your head and REST!!! LOL!
You will be back to yourself in good time.

I’m just two weeks out from my second THR. In the months before surgery I had a lot of issues with stabbing groin pain. I feel like my recovery is going very well (Compared to last time) but the tightness and discomfort in my inner thigh is still significant if I do much. My PT recommends that I hold off on any exercise that seems to irritate it even a little. It. I hear you on this, it’s truly frustrating to slow down and let the muscles heal when you feel like you’re ready for more. But I our case, slow and steady wins the race.

katherine

Wow, you are spot on. Yes I had the same issue before surgery. Thankfully it was completely gone for a week in a half and that's why I've had so much concern when it started again.
I am actually seeing my surgeon tomorrow to get some x-rays again just to make sure things still look as they should. Otherwise my actual hip feel great. .
Thank you thank you for your response.
Happy Holidays and healing vibes.
We got this!!
Jules.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope the visit with your surgeon went well.
A great weekend to you and a happy, healthy 2023 with those two new hips! Stay in touch.
@Jcollins
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Wow Happy New Year! What a difference some patients,time,rest can do.
I did go see my surgeon and had x-rays and they looked great. No fractures and incisions are healed. So I have been kind and rested lots. My hips feel amazing now and am for the most part pain free. I am taking all the advice and just giving my body time.
I've spent too many years already in pain unable to be active to screw these beautiful new hips up.
Thank you,
I wish the best 2023 to you all.
Love, healing, and many more amazing adventures.
Jules

Lovely post, Jules!
It's nice to read how well you're doing.
It's, Righty's, two month anniversary today. Happy Two Months!
I hope you and your two new hips have a wonderful week!
@Jcollins

I'm doing amazing. I find myself preparing everytime I go to stand for pain and it's no longer there. Truly life changing.
I'm walking to the park with my kids and even went grocery shopping. Which I haven't done in a long time. I definitely spend less doing the pick up though.
So glad I found the support, advice, encouragement here from others who have been through this or at the same stage.
Be well and keep healing on!

Keep taking your time and you'll ultimately get back to those activities, but unfortunately there is no way to rush or speed up the process. Trying to speed this up only produces pain and backlash and ends up slowing things down ...

You sound great for two months out on a bilateral.

Happy Two Months, Lefty!
Hope those two new hips are both behaving and you're feeling stronger week by week.
Take good care!
@Jcollins

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker