BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

2nd TKR vs. the 1st one--experiences?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by snorkelergrl, Sep 12, 2017.

1. snorkelergrl

snorkelergrl

United States United States
    I had my first TKR at 47, 4 years ago and it was pretty rough even though I was well-prepared (thanks to this forum) back then. The main issues were severe pain post-surgery and continued pain and inflammation to this day. I'd love to hear from you if you are in the same boat. I'm hoping the second one won't be a repeat of the first. Anyone know of people who had a significantly better experience/outcome the second time?

Tags:
  2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

Hi snorkelergrl! Is this second TKR a revision of your left knee's TKR? Or is it a first-time TKR of your right knee? I can't quite tell from your post.

If it's your other knee, it might help to know each knee recovers differently, even if those knees belong to the same body and have surgery on the same day. That would be me: bilateral replacements, where my right knee was a champ about healing (I barely know it was replaced, it healed so fast and well) and my left... well, my left is a bit of a laggard, recovering slowly. So your second knee might do much better.

If you browse on the recovery side for threads that say someone has a second knee done, you can read about their experiences. If you're looking at a revision, there's a button on the right that says Revision for threads about that. Just click on the button for all the Revision threads.

I'm so sorry to hear you still have pain and inflammation after 4 years. Have you discussed this with your OS? I would hope there's something they can do to give you relief.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd say there's something to be investigated there, that's not right after all that time IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snorkelergrl

snorkelergrl

Thank you for your kind responses. This is not a revision, just having my second knee done. Glad to hear both might be different. Every time I spoke with the doctor about continued pain and inflammation, he would shake his head and say that happens with 30% of TKRs. I finally went to a new physical therapist recently to prep for the upcoming surgery and she diagnosed it as Pes Anserine Tendinopathy and taught me how to tape it for some relief. She also taught me lymph massage for the continued swelling. It's helping quite a bit. I will check in on the recovery side of the website for additional experiences of having both knees done.

5. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    One important thing is not to compare your second knee recovery with the first one. That's because every knee is different in the severity of the arthritis and the amount of surgery that is needed. It's very hard not to compare, I know, but comparing can lead to mistaken expectations. Your knee is in charge of its recovery and you have to proceed at a pace it is happy with.

Remember to treat your new knee gently and not to overwork it. While you do need to walk around the house a bit, you don't need to do lots of exercises.
    It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

This is the approach to recovery that we recommend here, together with some useful and informative articles:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

6. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you joined the monthly surgery and recovery group yet?
    Once you have a surgery date, post it in the appropriate month's thread at the top of the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area page and you'll be added to the list.

It's a good idea to get to know your fellow BoneSmarties who will be getting new joints that month. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery and do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    By giving you the recovery reading, I seem to have put the cart before the horse, so here is some pre-op reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

• Like Like x 1