2nd TKR May 29, 2018

missy87

Country
United States United States
Hi,

I’m having my second knee replacement this next Tuesday and am starting to get really apprehensive. The first was difficult, and although circumstances are different this time, I’m still going through it.

Hello @missy87 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the dates of both your knee replacements, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Have you joined the May Marvels monthly group yet?
Just post your surgery date in the
2018 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
thread at the top of the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area page and you'll be added to the list.
It's a good idea to get to know your fellow BoneSmarties who will be getting new joints this month. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery and do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

Here are some articles to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

This is the approach to recovery that we recommend. It works well for most people:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

Best wishes! We’ll be here for you!

Enjoy your weekend and keep your long-term goal in mind. New knees for the rest of your life!

I am going in the same day for number two but mine are only four weeks apart. You know what needs to be done each knee is different but think after you will be a new person. Set a goal and work toward that.

ME I want to get back on the dance floor and also do hiking.

Thanks everyone. I saw my Dr yesterday and i’m reassured by that. In addition to the Osteoarthritis, my leg is crooked and has been since I was a kid. I am excited about having my leg straightened! Vonnie, what time is your surgery?

Thanks everyone. I saw my Dr yesterday and i’m reassured by that. In addition to the Osteoarthritis, my leg is crooked and has been since I was a kid. I am excited about having my leg straightened! Vonnie, what time is your surgery?

They came past to do spinal block around 9.30am and there was no clock where I was in recovery.

The block started wearing off mid afternoon. By 6 I would feel my toes. The morphine knocks me around and it was midnight before I felt normal. Leg is stiff and have groin pain but all manageable. I am in Australia it is now the 30 May

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017