TKR 2nd TKR Left on 10/16 (RTKR 10/13/21)

Hello and Happy Saturday!
You left some great advice and you're following what's worked for the masses.
I only hope your stay in Pain City is short and you're feeling better than you were on Thursday.
Wishing you comfort and a relaxing weekend. :)
@ALOKneedsadvice

DAY 24-- WAKING UP IS HARD TO DO....

So yesterday was my last in-home PT session. We did some more advanced exercises and I had to go up and down the stairs more than usual on top of the exercises. Today I woke up with pain level 9 ( pain actually woke me up) and spent most of the day with ice and elevation! Also got another prescription for Oxycodin. You forget the crazy pain that shows up, sharp, throbbing etc. So the moral of this story is "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Also, it is just the hardest to wake up in the morning. Your knee has been in a certain position and when you wake up your new knee launches all new fresh pain! that sort of sets the day for me. It's deceptive when you are on the pain meds and you feel semi OK, but really everything is still healing and getting over the trauma.

I look back at my posts from 2021 TKR right knee and it's almost identical. Roller coaster ride, feeling good so you do too much and then pay for it. But it becomes less and less as time goes by. Now I don't even think of my right knee, it bends and kicks and squats and it does it all! Looking forward to this knee matching the right knee. For now it's healing time for me.

Sending out healing vibes to all! :yay: :good-bad::zzz::meow::meow::meow::) :-) (:

So yesterday was my last in-home PT session. We did some more advanced exercises and I had to go up and down the stairs more than usual on top of the exercises. Today I woke up with pain level 9
I’m so sorry your PT has not had better training in rehabbing a TKR, and it’s healing process. It‘s way too early for a workout like that. :console2: Spend the next few days just doing gentle bends for mobility for your PT “exercises.”

Spend the next few days just doing gentle bends for mobility for your PT “exercises.”
Thank you! I think she wanted to get everything in. It is the old school way for sure! I told her every thing corrects itself as you heal! Plus, I felt - wow I can do these exercises, no problem! HA
I will take it easy and keep exercise minimal and gentle.

You're not even four weeks out yet.
Basic soft tissue injuries, like athletic sprains and strains, take 6-8 weeks to heal. That's why martial artists are advised to take it very easy - because reinjuring sets you back to day 1.
Consider how much more trauma your baby knee has had compared to a sprain or strain: two bones, many ligaments and tendons, and two of our biggest strongest muscle groups!
At your stage, walking and gentle range of motion (not stretching those traumatized muscles yet!), staying within your current comfort level, is really all you need besides some very light household activity

At your stage, walking and gentle range of motion (not stretching those traumatized muscles yet!), staying within your current comfort level, is really all you need besides some very light household activity

Exactly! Lesson learned the hard way... thanks for reinforcing the BONESMART way!
:wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and having a good week.
On the eve of the weekend, wishing you a good one, enjoy!
@ALOKneedsadvice

30 DAYS POST-OP!

Hello All,

Thank you @Layla 30 days today! yesterday was my first outpatient PT. It was funny because I limit all of the excercises at home, (esp the ones that hurt) and the first thing she asked me to do was to show her all the exercises I have been doing! I remembered a couple, but told her I don't do the ones that hurt! She looked at me - very disappointed and told me the importance of the exercises etc etc, I told her that my right knee is just fine and I didn't do the painful moves for that TKR. She sorta ignored that remark! Lol

I continue on the oxy and still on the 4 hour schedule- I tried to do a 6 hour schedule overnight and woke up with terrible pain. They monitor the oxy, they call me every-time I put in for a refill. The nurse said that at about 6 weeks they start weaning you back.
So I have a couple of weeks and probably won't need that long.

I'm moving around a lot, my issue is digestion and having a stomach ache every time I eat. I just take tums and all the usual for constipation and then sometimes I get the opposite problem

All in all, I am moving forward sometimes quickly and sometimes I just need a day of sleep & ice and bad TV. Today I did 3 loads of laundry and laundry room is on the first floor! Yay me!

I really try and remember the blessing in all of this... new shiny knee and NO PAIN. It's all worth it - EVENTUALLY!

Wherever you are in this process, keep the faith AND listen to your body and that new knee, It knows everything
Keep on trudging!!

Oh good for you for advocating for yourself with PT!!! Wish I could have seen her face! :wink:

I had to chuckle at the look of disappointment you mentioned you noticed after telling the PT you're
not into pain.
What's the matter with you, ALOKneedsadvice? You don't like pain? Shame on you! :heehee:

Kidding aside, I'm sorry you're struggling with some digestive issues and stomach aches when you eat. Hopefully as you wean off the meds this will all regulate. You are doing well and have a great attitude. I wish you comfort and hope today doesn't turn into a bad tv day. :wink:
Happy Weekend!
@ALOKneedsadvice

DAY 44 - SAW THE DOC

I saw my surgeon on Tuesday, Nov. 28th. He had the reports from PT appointments, and they said that I was doing very well. He checked out the suture site and said it looked great and showed me the xrays and they looked good. He asked me to bend my knee and then gently pulled it back as far as it would bend without extreme pain, I did and he said that's great! no numbers were discussed - he just said "keep up the PT and see you in 3 months!" and not to worry about the oxy to take them as long as I need them. Happy with that report!:yes!:

What's happening now is FATIGUE, and burning stabbing pains, general ACHE. My husband was off of work last week so we did a sort of "staycation" going out for a meal and doing a little walk. I would last about 2-3 hours and then would need to come back home. This week I am finding no energy to get up and out, I'm wondering how I got away with it. Also, I went to my sis-in-laws for TG and was there about 3 hours. I took an extra oxy. So I guess it was the drugs that helped me get through. I started to spread the pain meds from 4 to 6 hours apart and that works sometimes, but sometimes NO. Maybe I overdid it last week, but the pain was immediate... it waited until this week started. Weird, or all part of it??:umm:

LOOOOONG Recovery, this is. Just checking in, I felt like I had a reprieve with my husband at home and being able to go out. Now he's back at work and I'm sad too. back to crying and feeling sorry for myself. Not wanting visitors at all. I cooked some soup, and chicken curry and did 2 loads of laundry so far this week. But mostly laying around with elevated ice mode. I have a flight of stairs and I can go up with one foot, but not down.

I know this is a fascinating report, LOL...but it's what's up. BEST HEALING WISHES TO ALL.... this is a turtle's journey!! :cry::bored::dubious:

this is a turtle's journey!!
That is a perfect way to describe this recovery, not just for you, but for the vast majority. It sounds like you overdid it last week and now you need to catch up on your rest, ice, and elevation. Getting back to living life is wonderful, but pretty early at your stage of healing. But, you had a good week and got a taste of what it will be like in the future. It is a rollercoaster ride, but those up times will come more frequently and for longer times!

Thank you! @sistersinhim & @MSuki
It helps me to get this encouragement. Now I'm experiencing the burn & throb, back on pain meds 4-5 hours esp at night, pain woke me up :hissy:
I have a class PT Class at 1:45 PT
But I think I should cancel. Rest, Ice
Etc. will be my agenda today.

Good Dec 1st to all! Not ready for any of the holidays so I may just ignore it all!
1701448838291.png

I agree that canceling class is prudent.
Hang in there; when the throb kicks in and there's noone in the house to distract you it's easy to feel down. It's good you were able to self distract with some household activity - puttering is generally my best defense against the blues.

I cancelled!
I only did one load of laundry...iced & elevate, meds.
A friend had her TKR today and I sent her to this website. It really helps the isolation and depression having a TKR brings. The ups and downs and to focus on healing and not trying to set ROM records!

Happy healing everyone!we are never alone:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
sophiawilson
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom