2nd TKR in near future? Reality check please.....

I wondering if you are worrying about developing peripheral neuropathy in your new knee? Would it help to have a discussion with your surgeon on why it happened and what the likelihood of it happening again is and anything that might be done to keep it from happening again? Get all the facts and then see where you stand. At least you will know what to expect.

No, I'm not particularly worried about the peripheral neuropathy because it developed about 3 months before my meniscus "repair" surgery in 2016 (so doesn't seem to be related to surgeries?) I've had lots of tests and no one seems to know why it happened and why it's still numb almost 2 years later. If it happens in my second leg, then I guess that's just the luck of the draw. Hopefully it doesn't if for no other reason, it'll be interesting to see how the recovery is different.

I had my two TKRs 3-1/2 months apart. My decision was based on the fact that both knees were equally bad and I was tired of scheduling life around my painful knees. I use a TENS machine every night at bedtime. The instruction booklet that came with mine includes diagrams for placing the electrodes for various scenarios. I basically surround the area that's bothering me. For example, I put the four pads in a square around my knee. If my hamstrings hurt or ache, I put them in a square on the back of my thigh.

HoneyB - Thanks for the info. I'm going to ask my physical therapist about it again after this next tkr.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back