TKR 2nd tkr; end of my OA!!

doodlebug60

Country
United States United States
Could someone please transfer my thread to recovery now. surgery was at 1200 hrs. am in recovery phase. thank you; doodlebug60

@doodlebug60
You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread as requested. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Let us know how are you doing, hope you are able to go home soon.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

thank you Pumpkin for transferring my thread. whenimold; thanks for the welcome. to everyone; I'm in my regular rm. now. here is a review of my day.
(1) Arrived at hospital 10 AM
(2) put in preop. room to get weight and check BP. and to wipe down body with sterile wipes.
(3) 11AM- moved to staging area to get nerve block in back.
(4) Rec. nerve block; answered questions from anesthesiologist
(5) 12PM- moved to operating rm. given general anesthesia. good night from everyone.
(6) woke up in recovery about 2:30 PM. everything is good. from waist down can't feel anything.
(7) 6PM- nerve block wearing off; lot of pain from ice wrap to cold. nurse gave me some pain relief and now I'm doing better. Ate dinner; meatloaf, potatoes, green beans and a twinkies, and a Sprite.
(8)- 8PM- nurse put me in cpm machine on minimum setting of 45 degrees. feels good to have knee elevated. going to sleep
(9)- woke up at 1am. no pain. got up and urinated; boy what a relief. back to bed and back in cpm. with ice. and elevation

This is a good recovery so far. I have had very little pain so far of which I'm very thankful. Going back to sleep; Will post again soon

up about 7am. no pain thankfully. nurse removed cpm machine due to me having sharp burning pains in my left thigh. don't know what was causing it. she thought maybe it was the way I was lying. haven't had any more pain, just a little numbing sensation in the thigh. I will ask the doctor about it when he comes around

(0800)- Dr.Rush came by. said everything looked good. told me that I would probably be released today. he gave me a on-q pain relief system to take home with me. he said it's like a balloon with medication in it attached to my leg through a catheter. you can turn it up and down as pain needs. I also have my other meds. just finished my breakfast. it was good. PT is supposed to come by shortly. not really looking forward to it, but I know I have to get up and move around before they will let me go home. Sending prayers to all for a great recovery. Doodlebug

Sounds like you are doing really well @doodlebug60 ! Easy does it with the PT. You are on your way!

(0900)- PT came by. was very gentle. did heel slides in bed, quad stretches, leg raises, and leg swings; I then walked down the hall, and went up and down the stairs. Everything was pain free. PT said I did real good. I'm back in my room now sitting in a recliner. PT said that I could go home today if I wanted to. well that's all for now. Will post again later; Doodlebug

Thanks Jaycey for the encouragement. I'm not going to do PT when I get released. like my 1st tkr I rehabbed at home and did good with it. with Bonesmart moderators advice and other bonesmarties help I'll be just fine. ADL's and walking and light stretching is all I need. Also rest, ice, and elevation. I'm sitting in recliner with ice and elevation and have no pain. Thank goodness; will update again soon.

doodlebug60,
Happy to hear you are doing well and have excellent pain control. Well done with the walking and stairs, now to wait for discharge.

I am super jealous you only had to pee one time your first night in the hospital. I had bilateral TKR on 7/6/20. I was not so lucky; I had to get up and pee 6 (SIX!!!!!) times that first night. I was totally miserable and incredibly thirsty but afraid the drink anything and make it worse.

Good luck with your recovery round 2!!!

At home now; in cpm machine on 50 degrees. took pain meds. am doing good. walked from truck to house with walker; about 30 yards. I don't know why others dislike the cpm; I absolutely love it. I can sleep in it with no problems. it keeps the pain level down also.

Congratulations on your newest knee. You sound wonderful and I am sure happy to be home. Good thing you like the cpm. I never had to use one and was quite happy about that. You have a great plan for recovery of slow and steady with lots of ice. I hope you have a restful day and night.

Mrs.Ciz; hope you're doing good with your bilateral. Sorry to hear about your having to go to bathroom 6 times your 1st night. prayers for you for a low pain recovery. Doodlebug

Leejaa; thank you for your kind words. if you had a tkr I hope you are recovering well with little pain. Doodlebug

I couldn't sleep worth a **** last night. woke up at 0200 and set down at the kitchen table with 2 pillows under my head. pulled catheter out of my knee that was attached to on-q pain relief system. I don't know what kind of medication was in the balloon but it wasn't doing anything for me. Also everytime I walked the needle was jabbing into my knee. That did not feel to good. Am back in the cpm now on 54 degrees and knee feels a lot better. I'm not going to push my knee with the cpm this time like I did last time. I don't want to take any chances of busting incision open and getting infected like last time. Everything this time is about rest, ice, and elevation and taking it slow and easy. Remember guys and gals; I can't stress enough the Bonesmart philosophy of No Pain More Gain!!! Everyone have a great recovery. Doodlebug

Sorry you are having sleep problems already @doodlebug60 . Hopefully you can catch a nap or 2 during the day.

So glad the BoneSmart way works for you. Long may it continue!

got up and walked with Walker to kitchen. Ate a breakfast burrito. Surgeon called my wife after surgery and told her that this knee was a lot worse than the left knee. He had to do a lot more work. I believe it because I'm having a lot more pain. I'm having pain behind my knee that I didn't have before. I've got a breg polar cube; but I'm using the large ice wraps from the hospital. They get a lot colder. I'll use the breg when my knee gets a little better. I'm staying in the cpm as much as possible because it elevates my toes above my nose, and I can wrap the ice around the knee while I'm in it. I have a feeling this recovery is going to be a lot worse. Like you all have said; every knee is different, even on the same body; and I'm proof of that right now. well that's all for now , I'll post again later

Sounds like you’re doing everything right. I’m also a fan of CPM in part because my leg is pretty comfortable while in it.

What I’m not a fan of is being told to increase the degrees five a day until I get to 90. That first increase second day after surgery was disastrous.

Slow and steady. Hope your pain improves soon. I had really bad pain behind the knee but it’s gone now (11 days out).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom