TKR 2nd tkr; end of my OA!!

doodlebug60

Country
United States United States
hey everyone; just wanted to let you all know that I'm having my right knee tkr done on 7/30. I had my left tkr done on 2/13 and am healing great. hope this one heals just as well.

Thank you for letting us know. I've added your second TKR to your signature and I will add your name to the July Sparklers surgery thread.

hey guys and gals;
my 2nd tkr is coming up on the 30th. I decided to go with an ice water circulator this time instead of changing ice packs every hour. I found a Breg polar cube on Ebay for 75 dollars. It arrived yesterday. I froze me 4 water bottles last night and tried it out today to see how cold it would get. It does a good job. I used it on my surgical knee for about 3 hrs. I believe it's going to be a good buy during my postop. It is virtually brand new. With this I'll be able to sleep all night elevated with ice on as long as I have cloth between it and my skin. That's all for now. Waiting patiently for the 30th to get here when I'll finally get rid of the OA for good. Hope everyone's surgery goes well. Bye Frank Powers. SC

Welcome back, @doodlebug60 .

It sounds as if you're pretty well prepared for your second recovery.

Here's a reminder of our pre-op articles:
I
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@doodlebug60 I can tell you the Ice is key. Sounds like like you have a plan. For my 2nd. so far I have used Ice instead of Oxy. I am only 4 days out, but so far my pain has been managed with Tylenol and Tramadol. The preparation you can do the better off you will be after surgery.
Good Luck!

Thank you Rick and Celle; yes I'm trying to get prepared for the 30th as best as I can. I've got my goodie bag with my grabber; my sock assistant; my oxygen output thing; all the little tools from my 1st tkr. I've got my Walker ready. Got me a Breg ice machine. That's what's good about the 2nd one; you know what to expect and what not to expect. I've been trying to lose weight because I'm at 270lbs. I have to be down to 260lbs. by the 30th. Been working out on the bicycle some and eating less carbs. and more protein. Been cutting way back on calories. I've lost from 285 to 270; so I'm pretty sure I can get there to 260. I have 23 days to go. I'm at 42 BMI; I have to be at 40 or less. I'm going to get there because I don't want anything to hold up my surgery. I want to thank all the bonesmart moderators and family for their wonderful advice and support after my 1st surgery. I have had a great recovery so far. I will post again when I get closer to my preoperative exam on the 20th. Until then I hope all of you have a great recovery.

@doodlebug60 Sounds like you are read to go! I am a week out from my PKR. I posted it elsewhere, I purchased a small aquarium water pump to pump the water out of the ice machine. That way you do not have to lug it all over the house to drain the water out. I rented a Game Ready, It is a bit bigger than the Breg.
The other thing I have made good use of, is the lounge doctor leg wedge.
This recovery I have focused on Rest, Elevation, and Ice. Less than a week in I have gone through over 200 lbs of ice. I have had ice on 12 out of every 24 hours. I have been sleeping with the Ice on. The game ready cycles 30min on, 30 min off.
Good luck loosing the rest of the weight!!!
Good luck with your surgery!
Rick

Can you all please change the title of my thread to; 2nd tkr; End of my OA!!

just a little update; I have my surgery Thursday. I had my pre-op on the 20th. doctor said everything was good. had a Ct scan and bloodwork done. took my 1st of 3 Celebrex today. surgeon likes his patients to take 3 Celebrex prior to surgery. I think I've got everything ready to go as far as all my recovery aides. I've been doing some light activity to keep my knee limber so my recovery will go as smoothly as the first one did I hope. I believe this one will be a lot easier; given the fact that I know what to expect and what not to expect. well I guess that's all for now. will post again after surgery. ya'll wish me luck. Bye Doodlebug

@doodlebug60 All the best on Thursday! See you on the other side soon!

Good luck, doodlebug prayers all goes well. I had a TKR on 7/21 it was a revision, things seem to be going ok. I’ve been following all the advice given on this site, having a much better recovery than the first time. Again, hope all goes well on Thursday for you.

Revision lefty; thanks for all the prayers. I can never get to many. hope you have a great recovery with your revision. thank you Jaycey and everyone else for all the encouragement. I'm so looking forward to this 2nd tkr and getting rid of all this OA in my knees. Ready to go back to playing sports and roller skating again. don't worry guys. I learned from Bonesmart to take it slow and easy. Remember; No Pain more Gain !!!

Best wishes for your surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. Yes, soon all that OA pain will be gone. I love my two new (now 7yo) knees.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back