• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

2nd TKR anticipated January 2020

Lindylee

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm due to have my RTKR in January, one year after the LTKR. Today I received a copy of the letter the surgeon has sent to my doctor and wonder if anyone can explain something to me.

In the letter the surgeon says he's listed me, hopefully for early January, for 'a right PFC total knee replacement and will have the lateral femoral augments available should they be needed.'

What does that mean in layperson's language? Thank you in advance for any explanation.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It just means a total knee replacement, including removing damaged cartilage from the back of your kneecap and replacing that cartilage with a plastic button, then using a femoral component that will allow the newly-surfaced kneecap to move in the correct position.

Do you have a date yet for the right TKR?

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

graduate
Country
Thanks Celle, it was the augmentation if needed that threw me. Last time I was just booked in for a Complex TKR without a written description so was curious if this was something different. No confirmed date yet. I'll let you know as soon as it's booked.

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

graduate
Country
@Celle I have a date for my RTKR now Celle. It's 20th January 2020.

My physio has suggested I ask to speak to my surgeon prior to the operation as I've assumed my constant backache when walking is due to a difference in leg length after the LTKR, affecting the lumbar scoliosis I have, but I mentioned to the physio that for the first time my hips are level. One has been higher than the other for many years, maybe always, but I can't be sure. The surgeon said he would even me up, which should help the back.

The physio measured my legs and said they're both the same length at present and I should discuss with the surgeon whether it would be better to keep my hips level, but I'm not even sure if that's the best idea, whether it's possible and whether straightening my leg and inserting a prosthesis will actually lengthen it. I should probably say that in the past my podiatrist has said she thought my right leg was longer than my left and many years ago an orthopaedic surgeon commented on my right leg being larger than my left.

I'm feeling very confused at present, so any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I think your best course of action is to talk to your surgeon and tell him all the things you've written in you post, above.

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

graduate
Country
@Celle Thanks Celle. By the way my RTKR is 2020 - a slight typo I think. :) Shall I start a new post for the second knee or continue with the original?

In addition I don't know if you want to add to my knee history a therapeutic arthroscopy in November 2001.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Campie2
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom