TKR 2nd time around

Feeling so bummed at the moment. I am 4 weeks post op had the first knee done in 2018. I feel like everyone around me is way far ahead of me, I know not supposed to compare but darn. I belong to another group and I swear everyone was running marathons and jumping tall buildings at week 2! If I miss my pain meds I’m in agony. I have been able to go about 16 hours with just Tylenol but I have more days then not where I just cannot make it without my rx pain meds. Pain control was an issue for me last time and I was on the meds for almost 9 weeks but had no issue weening off and moving on. I just don’t get this after week 2 I was taking an aspirin, lol. That’s just not me. I know I will get there just needed to vent, thanks for listening!

Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!
We'd love to hear how you're doing. Hopefully you're feeling stronger each week and enjoying your progress.
We'd love to hear from you. :) Take good care!
@donnag1108

Whoops...our posts crossed.
I am sorry you're feeling a bit disappointed with your recovery. Four weeks is really early into a healing process that can last a full year or longer. It has to be difficult not to compare your recovery to other's or even your first TKR. However, it is true that no two recoveries are alike even with the same person. Hopefully you're icing and taking activity slow and easy, not pushing yourself or engaging in any PT that's pressuring you. The healing process does take time and lots of patience. You're right you will get there, so hang in there and feel free to vent here anytime. We'll be here and we care. I hope you have a good week!
@donnag1108

We were on this forum together in 2018. I saw your screen name on several of my old threads. So here we are again.
Tomorrow I'm 8 weeks post op. Hallelujah!
But, 4,5,6, into part of 7 were challenging. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.
I'm still taking a hydrocodone at night. First tkr I took pain meds til maybe 10 weeks.

You are struggling, but it will get better. Stay off those sites with the overachievers/ fibbers/truth stretchers LOL
Concentrate on your recovery. Ice always while elevating. Take pain meds and supplement with tylenol, ibuprofen to stretch them out. You know what to do. Better times are coming.
Are you still in pt? If so, give it a rest for a bit.
You got this!!

@beachy sorry missed your question. I am doing gentle PT twice a week. Honestly he is just the best. He absolutely never ever pushes me and everything we do is agreed upon trying before we do it. I refuse to be in agony during PT or after. Thank goodness my husband is amazing. I hope you are doing well!

That's the best way to PT!
I stopped after 4-5 appts. But, restarting Fri at my PT from first tkr. I need the massage, ultrasound, e-stim that I wasn't getting.
We ARE doing this!!

Better day today. Went to PT and was pleased with the difference I could see and feel since my last visit last Friday. He really awesome in terms of letting me lead the way and helping me along. I had a productive day all the way around which is just what I needed! Thanks all!

Positive post** so glad I get to say that! 7 weeks post op from second knee replacement, first was 2018 and this one has been a real bear! I’ve been struggling like many of us and yesterday knee was more painful and stiff then it has been. It’s 230 am and of course bam I am wide awake for no apparent reason. When I woke up it did not even occur to me I woke up with no pain and stood straight up out of bed and walked straight to my bathroom with no pain!!! I walked straight and my gait was normal! Didn’t even think about it until I was almost back to bed! I knew I would start seeing progress and eventually turn the corner I hope and feel that is today. Painful 7 weeks you bet, but that has been improving daily! Knee fighting me to bend but can straighten no problem. My incision is healing well. I was on crutches and could not get around without them, had not walked properly since I could not remember and in tears from frustration every day and probably a dose of depression. I had to do the second knee and I am grateful I had the same amazing surgeon. Please hang on, for the vast majority it does and will get better! Baby steps! ❤️❤️‍ Thankful to this group for all the encouragement!

Wonderful news. I am happy for you!
Thanks for taking the time to share such a positive update. I am certain it will benefit many in the future. Very encouraging words and a testament to giving the healing process time and patience.
Have a great weekend!
@donnag1108

Great news! We're in the same time frame for both knees. This recovery has been up and down like yours. I'm glad you're finally seeing improvement!

@beachy yep! I’m getting that message from her today. She is telling me good job but you’re pushing a bit much. I got a little nutty last night and decided to do heel slides, leg raises etc. well she ain’t having it. Lol. It is swollen after weeks of virtually no swelling but thankfully it seems I backed off just in time. She is demanding rest today and I’m giving it to her :no-fin: thanks for the reminder!

Well at 7 weeks I got to a 90 bend today. Prior to surgery I was at 100. My quad fired up at post op day 3 and I got the leg straight pretty quick, but darn thing is fighting me to bend. I am happy with this progress as it was at 72 when I started PT. It is definitely a slower healing process then my last knee in 2018 but I am pretty good about not comparing myself to others for the most part and I did not have RA in 2018 so this makes me happy, My PT never pushes me to far and respects my boundaries in this process when it comes to pain levels etc. Take this at YOUR pace you will get there! My knee is a bit fussy tonight but I expected that after pushing myself today. I see my surgeon this Friday 3/31 and I hoping to return to work 4/10. We will see but mentally I am feeling much more positive. Be kind to yourselves. :) :-) (:

You have two things different from your previous TKR. Your diagnosis of RA and this new knee had 4+ years of more damage on it at the time of your recent TRK. Having a 90 degree bend at 7 weeks is just fine. It will bend as the healing continues and the swelling goes down.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back