TKR 2nd time around recovery

Today was different. PT came in the morning to put me through my paces. Then my sister came - did her usual sisterly things - changed the sheets, laundry, etc. We had an early lunch and then went for some beauty treatments. I got my hair cut and colored and I treated her to a facial as my "designated driver." I brought some iced gel packs that I needed and was grateful to have. My hairdresser found a stool for my leg that helped. I got home and went into a very deep sleep of exhaustion. Decided that was enough excitement for today, just lounging, icing and elevating for the rest of the day. It was so nice to do a normal person thing!

I'm glad you enjoyed your outing. That's a real booster to your emotions.

It was good planning to take ice packs to the hairdresser with you. Well done!

I know, I feel so good when I do non-knee related things. It's amazing to see people doing the fun, ordinary things. Anxious to be part of it all again. BTW I'm not sure what I'm binging next, quietly stressing about it:martini:

Today was a good day. Yesterday I was exhausted and achy after my day out, so I went to bed early. This morning PT came and I actually got to 105 flexion - my best so far! I have lengthened my walks outside and today I took 2 walks alone around my street, each about 1/4 mile long. Feeling stronger and less pain. Most of the day I am still elevating, or resting or icing, but baby steps forward! I progress to outpatient PT on July 10. I wanted it to be next week but too many of the therapists are off with the 4th of July holiday. By the 10th, I should be well beyond the oxycodone and back to driving myself. Progress!!!

Driving yourself will feel like you're almost back to normal won't it? I know it isn't by a long way, but I think that's a measurement of freedom that will mentally feel great.

Driving yourself will feel like you're almost back to normal won't it?

Could not agree more @luvcats

I always think of outpatient PT as a turning point. You get to drive and you start doing a bit more to build strength. The last time I did this I had to worry about snow and ice. It is so nice to go through this in the summer.

How are you doing?

Oh, I've reached the Not Sleeping part of pre-surgery prep. Lol
Today I'll find out my actual time, do a last run to the store, and handle 2 last things on my list. Then I'll spend the rest of the weekend doing laundry and hiding in a book.

Sorry I'm late to the party just started reading your thread -My first cold therapy system was also an Ossur! Mine died after only 16 days! I ended up running to the rehab store and purchased a Breg - it worked wonderfully

Today I'll find out my actual time

@luvcats my goodness, somehow I had not put together that you have not gone yet. We will be here for you when you do!You have been so great about cheering us on.

My first cold therapy system was also an Ossur! Mine died after only 16 days!

@Zommom my new Ossur is finally working ok! We got one in 2015 for my son's ACL surgery that worked great for him. When we turned it on for me 2 days before surgery, it was dead so ordered a new one, which lasted 3 days! But Amazon was great about replacing and the new one is working. It really does make such a difference in reducing pain without too much reliance on opiods. Love the thing! I need to go read your thread. :)

We will be here for you when you do!You have been so great about cheering us on.
Thanks. I know you will. My life is pretty isolated because I'm so disabled, I'm used to finding my social connections online. I got on here early and wanted to make friends so I'd have people I 'knew' when I need them.

Monday, check in at 10:30. So. Ready.

I got on here early and wanted to make friends so I'd have people I 'knew' when I need them.

Oh @luvcats we have got you, honey. I will be praying for you 10:30 on Monday. I have followed you and will be on the look out for that first post surgical post. You have got this!

And hopefully your life will expand after you recover. Before my first knee and hip, I had chronic pain syndrome and could barely move, and certainly could not sleep at night. With just those 2 done, I have lost 30 pounds and am way more active than I ever was before. I will never be truly athletic because there is just too much bone stuff going on in this body but the difference so far is more than I ever dreamed could be possible. Having this last knee done for me is the "icing on the cake." I look forward to a full and active life from here on in. And I am wishing the same for you.

Thanks. I know you will. My life is pretty isolated because I'm so disabled, I'm used to finding my social connections online. I got on here early and wanted to make friends so I'd have people I 'knew' when I need them.

Monday, check in at 10:30. So. Ready.
I thought you already had surgery. Please keep me updated, I’m here for you day or night. Good luck

Yesterday was 4 weeks from my surgery. That sounds like something to celebrate! I keep thinking of the progression chart and how the first 4 weeks are red but after that it begins to get better. I look forward to this next phase. Thought I would give an update on where I am.

• Medications:
    • Went off Warfarin (blood thinner) yesterday, 7/4
    • Went off Celebrex on Wednesday, 7/3
    • Taking 1000 mg Tylenol 3x/day
    • I can start taking Aleve tomorrow to replace Celebrex, once the Warfarin is a bit out of my system, but for now, I am a bit more swollen and painful. Can't wait for the Aleve!
    • I am only taking a half of oxycodone (2.5 mg) at night. I suspect once I can take the Aleve twice a day I will not need the oxycodone. Looking forward to that!
  • Activity:
    • Flexion is consistently 107. I wonder if it will be better or worse today - given the swelling and pain I have.
    • I use the recumbent bike about 3 times a day for 20-25 minutes, and moved the seat forward a couple notches. I can smoothly pedal with no resistance.
    • I can go up and down the stairs foot over foot!!! I hold the railing and use one crutch, but it is very doable for me.
    • I am still a few degrees from full extension.
    • I had been taking 2 quarter mile walks outside. This is painful without the Celebrex so I am giving myself a rest to see if I feel more able once I start on the Aleve.
  • Daily stuff:
    • I'm doing some small loads of laundry and making my temporary twin bed (yeah, I am one of those people who just cannot sleep in the marital bed post surgery - need my own space!)
    • Minor assisting with dinner, emptying dishwasher
  • Interactions:
    • Went out to lunch on Tuesday for the first time.
    • Went out for ice cream yesterday
    • Not completely comfortable going out, and need a nap after, but it is a start!
  • Sleep:
    • Sleep has still be difficult, and I rely on daily naps once or twice a day
    • Last night, I tried a meditation app before bed (Glen Harold Relax and Sleep Well) and I actually logged 7.5 hours of sleep according to my fitbit!!!
    • I can sleep on my side with the help of a knee pillow that I just got - glad I did, it is very comfortable.
  • Pain:
    • Worse level is maybe a 5 out of 10.
    • I get a straight horizontal line of pain below the knee, especially after a walk.
    • Starting to get a tingling sort of pain, feels like ants crawling around inside - wonder if this is nerves coming back to life?
  • Binge Watching:
    • Had to include this especially for @Benay and @luvcats :loll:
    • Half way through season 3 of Grace and Frankie, still amused.
    • Watched 100% Julian Edelman. Full disclosure, I am from Massachusetts and of course a Patriots fan, but I highly recommend it. It is about his comeback after ACL surgery. Going through this TKR recovery, and having watched my son go through ACL recovery, I was very much inspired by the story. And Jules makes the same faces I do during PT! Haha.
That is it for me. Overall, feeling positive about life. Can't wait to be able to have some Aleve!!!

Good news! Moving along, loved the binge update x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks