TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

Sara61

Staff member since March 23, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Rubyroo - Surgery went fine, but yesterday was awful they under medicated me, doctor wasn't available so I spent 10 hours in agony, saw my surgeon today, he has altered the medication, I have managed a shower, used the cpm machine and managed to walk 10 paces, hopefully will get discharged tomorrow xx

@Sara61 Glad your surgery went well! Sorry to hear you were under medicated, at least that is behind you! Now on to recovery, best of luck!

So glad to hear you are doing ok despite the under medication. Safe journey home - your own space will feel great after hospital. Take care! Sending you healing thoughts and wishes for a straightforward recovery.

@Sara61 Glad to hear surgery went well! Under medicated! Ugh! I’m so sorry! :holysheep:I find it amazing folks jump back on BoneSmart right after surgery. I’m scared I’m going to be hurting so badly that I’ll be holed up in bed wanting to be put out of my misery. I hope you get your pain under control & you can go home as soon as possible. Sending hugs:flwrysmile:

What a difference a day makes, I saw my surgeon this morning and thankfully he has corrected my medication, I saw the hospital physio and he put me in cpm, that was painful but he didn't put it to high, then I walked with the zimmer frame about 10 paces and back to bed, since then I have hobbled several times to the bathroom- I have no idea how people manage in the US to walk and go home on the same day.
The reason for so much pain is that the knee was in far worse condition than the left one. Hoping for a better night tonight and a brighter day tomorrow

Hi, @Sara61 Welcome to Recovery!

Im glad you’re doing better now!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Sara61 Good to hear from you and that your surgeon made some adjustments to your meds. As @Susie-Q says, we get a pain block to get us thru the surgery and home, Fortunately my surgeon prescribed a few diuladid for when the block wears off.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I understand regarding the pain medication, where I live Ireland they don’t do the nerve block either- it’s out the door with pain killers and often the dosage is much lower than what you were receiving in the hospital! :censored:
Hope you have a much more comfortable night and day tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sara61 Glad to hear you are hanging in there! Interesting to hear your 2nd knee was in worse shape than the other one. I’ll be curious if my Dr. will have any comments on my 2nd knee. We just don’t know what’s going on inside of our bodies, do we?

There were many reasons why I chose to go home the same day for my second TKR, but one of them was that I felt great (pain-wise) in the hospital when I stayed overnight the first time, and then I was sent home right about when the block was wearing off, so getting in and out of the car and into my house was excruciating.

This time I was still so drugged up and pain free that I barely remember leaving the surgery center and getting into the house. It was great!

@GiantFinnegan and Sara61. I had the exact same thing as Finnegan on my first one. so the next day when I was discharged the nerve block had worn off and it was horrible getting home. This time I was only there about 8 hrs and was still under effects of the block. I had no problem walking or getting into car, was a little trickier getting up the 4 steps into my house. I actually was sitting at 90 degrees in the car going home. I falsely thought that was a sign that this TKA recovery was going to be way better than my first which I have now realized wasn’t as bad as I thought it was at the time, LOL!
Praying for good pain control and a non-complicated recovery for you Sara!

I'm relieved to see your pain has settled a bit. Keep after staff to keep you comfortable. Hope you had a better night last night!

Day 3- I slept from 1am to 6:45 am, so I feel refreshed, hoping I get to go home today but will only know after lunch but if not that's OK too.
I just realised how short our memories are in regards to the first few days, the pain and stiffness is :shocked: but baby steps (literally) and everyday brings a little improvement, I'm just so thankful we only have 2 knees as I ain't doing this again :rotfl: :gaah: my leg feels like a ten ton log, so difficult to move it, I supposed to be doing Heel slides, but having enormous difficulty transferring my though of movement to my knee, it just does not want to move.
Anyway will update a little later on just waiting for the cpr machine and accessment from surgeon.
Wishing all my surgery buddies a good day xx

I was never asked to do heel slides, or leg lifts, or any other exercise, while I was in the hospital (one and a half days) All PT did was take me for a walks and check me on their little bridge of steps.

I would leave heel slides etc go for now. Appreciate your comment that you are glad we only have two knees. Isn’t that the truth. Just rest, ice, and take your pain meds. Every day will be a small victory and teensy bit better.

Last edited:
@Mrty2019 physio was a bit brutal with the cpm machine, so actually I'm glad to be going home, I will only think about PT after staples removed.
I'm relieved but nervous I have quite a few steps to my front door :shocked: but will do it slowly xx
How are you today ?

Glad you are on your way home! You have a good excuse /reason to chill out and relax! Your main job, as you know is to Ice and elevate. I am about 1 year ahead of you as far as replacements go. Mine were both PKRs, Other than not feeling comfortable kneeling, my knees are so much better than before! Good luck in recovery!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom