Lounge Doctor

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

Eire1

senior
Country
Ireland Ireland
@Sara61 Elastoplast brand do a silicone scar strip, you should be able to get it at most pharmacies. Boots do an own brand silicone scar strip and serum, and you can also get other brands of silicone scar strip on Amazon.
I am so sorry you are having a bad day with the knee, it doesn’t always help being told that that is normal etc etc so instead I am just going to say I am sorry you are hurting at the moment and sending you a virtual hug:console2:
Hope tomorrow is better!

FourCats

senior
Country
United States United States
I appreciate your saying not to compare knees. As I look ahead to my replacement in early February, that is important for me to remember. Not only is it a different knee but it is a different surgeon. Though I have a general idea of what to expect, I need to remind myself that it may or may not be similar to the first.

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Portugal Portugal
@FourCats Trouble is, that our brains only remember mostly the good of the past, I was convinced that my 2019 surgery/ left knee was, far more advanced than this one at the same stage, however what I've forgotten, is that the right knee has been the weight bearing knee for the last 2 years and that it was in the same condition as the left in 2019 so more damage & wear & tare on it and probably the surgery itself was more complex.
I had also convinced myself that my right knee was stronger, as I had done quite a few pre-surgery exercises, so to discover that actually none of my muscles are very strong was a shock and a new learning curve.

This morning my muscles hurt. Even thou we did very gentle exercises yesterday they are upset from having been woken in turn everything seems harder to do, my night was better but I was conscious of helping my knee to change position several times.

To top it off I tripped over my own crutch first thing this morning almost landing nose down on the floor, so I think that too hasn't helped my knee :hairpulling::gaah:

Eire1

senior
Country
Ireland Ireland
I thought I was the only klutz on here! Tripping over your own crutch and almost falling:bignono:
You must be feeling very sore from the actual wrench of the almost fall and I know how frightened I was when my crutch slipped out from under me when walking so I can only imagine how you feel- lots of ice today and elevation.
Mali will supervise you taking it VERY easy today, leave everything else to husband and MIL.
Take care of yourself:console2:

Susie-Q

post-grad
Country
I was conscious of helping my knee to change position several times.
I remember this WELL. Was I ever going to be able to change positions in the bed without it being an act of congress and also painful? I'd get into a position that I thought was comfortable for about 15 seconds and then The Knee would decide, NOPE, and I'd have to switch again. It will happen!!! I'm sorry it's a royal pain in the butt right now...... :censored:

mamallama

Country
After an arthroscopic procedure I was on crutches but could walk without them. I wanted to bring dishes down a short hall so like a dummy I walked but with crutches tucked in my arm pits carrying the plates. I wound up breaking my toe on the crutch on the opposite side from the leg I had surgery on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Portugal Portugal
@mamallama Ouch !

Yesterday was just awful, by noon I could barely bend my knee or even lift it off the ground, almost as if I'd wasted the weeks and was back at week 1 the pain was unbearable, I had hoped to reduce my intake of Tramadol but decided :bignono: today I'm going back on the 2 pills every 12 hours - I don't do pain at all well, huge meltdown at 6pm cursing everything under the sun - my hubby is a Saint to put up with me, Mali :puppysmooze: bless her is glued to my side, frantically trying to lick my pain away, fortunately pillow is stopping her getting to it, so my left leg is getting a good old wash.

Not sure if I twisted my knee by trying to maintain my balance and break the fall, or a combination of everything, hoping & praying a better day today but judging from right now not too hopeful.

I had, had such high expectations of this 2nd knee thinking that as it was stronger etcetera that this time round would be a breeze... lol

That light seems awful long way down the tunnel right now it's barely visible :sad:

Eire1

senior
Country
Ireland Ireland
Big virtual hug to you :console2:- anyone stumbling or partially falling wrenches their entire body trying to stop the fall. You will be sore (sorer?) for a few days, any chance you could have a neck and shoulder massage from hubbie? It would help with the tension you are currently feeling in your body- he could throw in a foot massage as well..:yes:
Keep up with the pain relief and my favourite -have a really good cry:boohoo:
You had a bad fright after having major surgery- you are entitled to feel like things aren’t going your way. :blackcloud:
Let your husband pamper you , Mali love you in her very best way:puppysmooze: and know it will get better.
Hopefully today will bring happy healing to you!

Susie-Q

post-grad
Country
I'm so sorry @Sara61 ....... :console2: I know it doesn't feel like it now but this too shall pass..... Please rest and let your hubby pamper you. Hopefully in a few days everything will settle down and you'll be back on the road to recovery. Keep that nurse, Mali, close......:puppysmooze:

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Portugal Portugal
Your words constantly lift me up, today head wise I'm feeling better, but knee not so, its almost as if I've gone back a couple of weeks,
I can no longer lift my knee if I'm standing, if I go to sit down, I'm having to stretch leg out in front then use both hands to bend it, not sure PT helped this week either, think I'm not ready for it yet, or if infact I actually need it, so cancelling the next couple of sessions, I only went as it was beneficial for my left knee and as Rui is a friend - trouble was he allowed a junior trainee to monitor my exercises one of which I said no, after his first attempt to straighten my knee, my muscles aren't ready for that level of activity so here I am hurting - more fool me.
Lol my husband's words you are a BoneSmart advisor by now you should know better, no truer word was said.

@Susie-Q Hope so, just feeling a tad foolish as I was doing so well, & here I am almost back at week 2, hoping a couple of days, icing, rest ,& medication will do the trick, unfortunately this leg dislikes being elevated which is bizarre.

MARYCOOL

Country
@Sara61 ...I love following your posts, they definitely tell the true story of the ups and downs of TKR life.
I've over done it a bit myself with #2, as I just want to get on with life! I have also injured myself, with my cane!! Jammed my toe, boy did that hurt, and was my face red ..
Anyway, making a delicious beef stew today in the crockpot, the house smells great, and sitting on the couch taking it easy! Our good days will soon be better than the bad ones!
Take care!!

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Portugal Portugal
@MARYCOOL Beef stew sounds just fabulous, I can imagine the smell from here, shame I live too far away xx
Deep down I know soon we will be looking back at our recoveries, jolly thankful we only have two knees & praying our hips stay healthy :praying: as for a very long time I do not want to see a surgeon of any sort again.
Wishing you a lovely Weekend enjoy that stew xxx

Eire1

senior
Country
Ireland Ireland
@MARYCOOL Beef stew…mmmmmm! I can smell it from here:roseshwr:
I do love my crockpot/ slow cooker, think Saturday just might be the day to make rice pudding in it, perfect for a cold wet day!
@Sara61 Take care of yourself, you deserve it!
Wishing you both a wonderful weekend :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Portugal Portugal
LOL I'm making Rice Pudding for dessert today, however here we eat it cold, I like both ways but the Portuguese prefer it cold with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. I'm also thinking of baking a Mary Berry Lemon drizzel cake as I've so many lem ons.

:fingersx: knee feeling a bit better today, not as stiff and as sore as yesterday, I've a relatively easy day, hubby gone for his weekly game of golf, so he will bring a chicken piri-piri takeout for lunch, on Sundays we only have lunch at 2pm.
Enjoy your Sunday xx

Eire1

senior
Country
Ireland Ireland
@Sara61 Tell him to bring enough piri piri chicken, I am on my way- one of my favourite Portuguese dishes! That along with the small boiled, then flattened potatoes drizzled in olive oil-mmmm! I am drooling and I haven’t even had coffee yet this morning- husband insists on making it even though I can do it- he gets up later than me so I have to be patient!
If you have lemons you can’t wrong with a lemon drizzle cake and I really like her recipes- so clear and excellent results.
Remember now I always keep a spare seat on the ODIC bench just in case :rotfl:

OP
OP
Sara61

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Jaycey another date to hold you too, it would be such fun if you could all pop over for lunch xx
Seriously now that you are able and not so tied, you should plan a trip to the Algarve once all the restrictions slacken, the sun & sea, plus chicken piri-piri would do you the world of good xx

Last edited:

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Havimom
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom