Revision THR 2nd hip replacement

Tesjohn

Country
United States United States
I have just had my second hip replacement. Had the right one done Dec 31, 2018. Was a member here for that one..I just had the left one done on August 23…. Still on pain meds, but not as often…still on walker. Really haven’t made as much progress as I wanted…2 days of terrible constipation held me back. Biggest problem for me right now is the burning sensation….this site helped me so much last time.

It's very early days yet @Tesjohn. I hope the constipation issue is over! Sorry to hear about the burning pain. There is so much tissue to heal that some pain has to be expected at this stage I suppose.
If you've been on Bonesmart before you'll know the Bonesmart way. It certainly helps me. Take it easy. Take it slow. Good luck.

@Tesjohn Welcome back to BoneSmart! You are now a member of the double hippie club! You know the drill - ice, elevate, meds, rest and repeat.

I'll leave your recovery guidelines here in case you need a reminder:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you @Spex10 when you are in pain you think you will remember it forever…lol. I forgot about all these little side effects from the surgery. Seriously forgot how bad the constipation bout can be and definitely forgot about the burning!!!!! That is the worst when I’m walking. This forum certainly eased me through the last one and I’m sure it will through this.

Thanks for the welcome @Jaycey . And thanks for the refresher on the tips and links. today Is #7. I going to go through everything today….seems like I forgot a lot but do remember the most important part….Walking is the only real therapy you need. But there is a wealth on info and help on here. Starting to review all links now

Oh yes, the burning pain is not fun. Hopefully it will subside very soon. My burning pain was gone after week 1.

Try roasted squash for the constipation thing. Just saying. It works.

Last edited:
Well it is one week today and I hope I follow you @Starmarie …although, I messed up….did not realize it was the week-end and ran out of pain meds on Sunday afternoon. Getting a refill in about half an hour….this is horrible……was using Ibuprofen til I got more. Just doesn’t quite help………having lots of different feelings right now…

I had mine a few days before you. On the 10th day out I stopped needing anything stronger than Tylenol. Kind of sudden. You will get there.

I hope so @chopper72 . I hate relying on them but so far I feel the need. I did notice, however, that they don't seem to help the burning….I wish something would…..that’s what still bothers me most….

I just took Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) it seemed to work quite well. I hope you find something that helps. If not then ice?

Hi @Tesjohn
:wave:
Last one and Done.:friends:
Now to get through the tough parts....
I'm sorry its been tough and the constipation problem had me miserable.:sigh:
I took my strong pain meds for many more weeks to keep myself more comfortable and more mobile actually.
I did also have to stay with stool softeners and mindful to Drink, drink, drink to keep things going.
The burning sensation when walking was very scary to me and I ran to the forum in a panic.
I do feel like the nerves calmed down considerably with time and the cessation of all the initial swelling.
So as Spex10 suggests, stay on Ice as much as possible.:ice::ice::ice:
Just make sure you have cloth to protect your skin.

All Temporary....this really became my mantra during the Hard Days.
:console2:

I feel like I will be in no hurry to give up the pain meds @Mojo333. I try to time my walking and pt around them to make it easier. Don’t want to make it any harder. I’m drinking so much water I feel like I’m sloshing……water and yogurt!!!!!!!
The burning did ease up a little. like you said…All temporary…some effects take longer than others. My sister had her hip done three months before me and she did much better than I…..she was sleeping in her bed the first week…..I’m still in the recliner…..

I’m still in the recliner

You’re not alone. I slept in a recliner for three weeks. Snug as a bug in a rug!
I hesitated getting in and out of bed, even though I knew I could. I’ll bet you can too, if you really want to.:wink: I remember you from your last hip! I hope this recovery is a good one for you.:)

@Layla …you remember me???? Good memory. I know I do not make a good patient……I seem to remember having a bunch of good days and then back pedaling. I have anxiety issues and tend to over-react…put it in my head that I was going to be stronger this time….and I really am trying. I think I have been doing a little better.

Yes, I do remember. I recognized your photo first and then your name.
I’m sorry you struggle with anxiety. Try to have confidence that you’ll do fine. You did last time, why not again? :yes!: Having some bad days is normal early on so please if it happens, don’t let it discourage you, come here and we’ll offer you encouragement.
Go, Tesjohn, You Can Do This! :)
@Tesjohn

you are right of course, @Layla . I am slowly remembering all the little side effects as they occur. Tried to see my posts from last time to refresh but I don’t know how. I only get one post…anyway, before the surgery was scheduled, i had a camping trip scheduled for Sept 8. waiting til the last minute to see if I have to cancel. We have a full size RV so it's not tent camping. I am walking about 2000 steps a day as of now….any thoughts on the camping trip….i know how much pain I’m in then would be the mitigating factor….wondering if anyone recommends it or thinks its a bad idea.

Here is a link to your thread from 2019 -

As far as the camping trip…it does seem a bit ambitious for only two weeks post op.
I‘m wondering about the commute alone as I don’t know how well you fare with extended trips in a vehicle. I found it difficult for the first couple of months post op to sit in a vehicle beyond 30 minutes or so. I became restless and uncomfortable, feeling cramped / confined, unable to stretch my legs. This would be a big consideration for me as well as wondering whether I’d feel energetic enough to actually enjoy myself. Then there is the issue of any pain and discomfort you may be feeling, while away from the comforts of home. Just a few things you might want to contemplate. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I just don’t want to see you go and wish you hadn’t…unless you’re feeling none of this will be an issue for you.
@Tesjohn

@Layla . Thanks for the link. Everything you mentioned is exactly what’s going through my head. If I only had another week or two…. Really the pain I’m experiencing now would definitely not be conducive….if I’m not comfortable here, how can I be somewhere else. I still have a few days. Today, for instance, is not a good day….

You’re welcome!
If you can re-schedule the trip for a later date, I’d consider it. If you’re traveling far, or with multiple people who’d be disappointed should you be miserable and want to go home, I’d definitely give it more thought. Grill and have a picnic in your yard and pretend you’re in the woods this holiday weekend. :wink: Then when you get uncomfortable you can go back to putting your feet up in your comfy spot at home. :yes:
@Tesjohn

Hello! :wave: We have an RV and I've had both hips replaced and couldn't even think about any kind of vacation in it so soon after surgery. Of course I had my recovery room at home all tricked out and it was so comfy..... :sleeep:
If you do improve a lot before the 7th, I guess you would be able to do it but how about your bathroom set up? Will it be easy to navigate? I think I would have had issues with the steps entering the RV, too.
Maybe yours is set up differently than ours..

That's a tough decision, when you've had the trip planned for a while.. bummer...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back