Lounge Doctor

THR 2nd Attempt at getting this done

YogaLesley

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. But I really know where you are coming from. My hip was diagnosed as needing doing about 15 years ago! But seriously bad since 2018. I cancelled surgery in Spring 2019 and tried a physio course instead. My ROM was very restricted because of bone spurs as well as bone on bone but I didn't have daily pain, could walk OK but nights started to get hard. I thought I would have it done 2020 but Covid put a stop to that! And this year the pain hit with a vengeance!! Hobbling on 2 sticks, cancelling holidays etc. I dreaded the op but the pain was worse! I had my right THR on September 29th. Yes, first few days not great for me and I have moaned on here but really the healing is amazingly quick. I worried I would feel 'artificial' but there is no such awareness and my ROM is already much better and pain-free. I just want to get the other one done and get back to some long-distance walking! I had spinal anaesthetic and heavy sedation (insisted I didn't want to be aware of operation!) and it was over before I knew it!!! As everyone says, short term pain afterwards (but manageable with the right pain medication) but long term gain!!! Go for it!!!

Bodie’sMom

Country
Canada Canada
I too, am very sorry to hear that, as well. If you are not ready, no amount of convincing, is going to get you there. We’ve all been there. Took me 12 years. What got me there, was, I was just existing. There was no quality of life, whatsoever. I was at the point, no amount of pain meds, would help, couldn’t work, couldn’t do anything and I was miserable.

When my doctor, gave me the results of the X-rays, I was devastated. She kind of put it in perspective for me. You don’t have cancer, you are not going to die and it’s a fixable problem.

Honestly, immediately after surgery, that horrible hip pain, was gone. First week or so was uncomfortable, but compared to 12 years, it was a piece of cake. Physical therapist, at hospital, said, she’s been there 15 years and has never seen a dislocation and surgeon told me, risk of infection is less than 1%.

You will get there. You are still young, with many quality years, ahead of you and only you can decide, how you want to spend them. :)

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Timo50 So sorry you have cancelled your surgery again. But the decision is yours and you must be ready before proceeding.

Have you thought about talking to someone about your phobia? And BTW - the pain you are having now is far worse than any post op pain.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
United States United States
Ugh…I’m so sorry. Many, if not most of us can relate to your pre-op anxiety and fear. I’m sure not a single one of us really wanted to lose our natural hip, nor embraced the thought of the surgery and recovery experience.

For myself personally, it did cause extreme anxiety, many private tears and lots of self talk to get to the point of scheduling my surgery. The difference between us is that while I did comfort myself with the thought that I had an escape clause and could cancel surgery at any time, the idea of doing so, only to go through the mentally agonizing process again at a later date was too unsettling and spurred me on to go through with it.

I do believe you’ll have the surgery one day. You will know when the time is right because your quality of life will be so that you are simply tired of it all and you’ll push through the anxiety to reach the finish line. I agree with Jaycey’s advice about seeking help for the fear and anxiety surrounding the process. It can’t hurt, right? Please know that there is no judgement here, we understand and we’re here for you always.
Wishing you peace and comfort.
@Timo50

Coddfish

Country
Hi @Timo50 The only person who can decide this is you. Are you able to pin down what you are afraid of / what’s stopping you? Can you identify at what point living with what you have becomes even more unbearable? Lots of us have been through this, putting off getting a diagnosis etc etc. I think many of us have to hit a rock bottom with it before we commit. I hope you can find the right balance for yourself in this.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Timo50 I have been thinking about you today. Before my spinal decompression surgery I was in a similar state - totally petrified and unable to get on with living. I reached out to my GP who was so understanding. He gave me a prescription for a tranquilliser - only 10 tablets. I only took one on the day of the procedure. But having his understanding an knowing what I was feeling was totally normal made all the difference.

I hope you can find a way to feeling comfortable about having your THR. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

KitKat3

Country
United States United States
@Timo50 it’s a tough decision to make and only you will know the right time for you. There have have been times when I considered canceling my surgery, but my day to day routine is getting more difficult with the increased pain. Delaying my surgery is not an option; when I was first diagnosed I was 100% opposed to the very idea.
Please take care of yourself and let us know you’re doing ok.

OP
OP
T

Timo50

Country
Thanks all, great support here, I'll keep you posted, no plans to move forwards with this at this point, my phobia regarding medical treatment is whats holding me back, I didn't see a dentist between the ages of 18 and my early 40's! and find it difficult to enter a hospital even for an x ray. Guess I'll just deal with it day by day for now.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knobbyknees
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom