Lounge Doctor

THR 2nd Attempt at getting this done

Timo50

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
After having a date for replacement last year and backing out a few weeks before due to fear of the operation, I'm back to see the consultant in a few weeks, and I'm still not sure I can face this operation.
My head says I need to get this done, I cant walk far, cant climb stairs normally, (have to lead with my good leg) , and pain after doing simple things like mowing the lawn, etc, but part of me still thinks to just live with it and save going through the operation. I guess its partly because I haven't had surgery since I was very young, and cant really remember it. Also worried about complications, infection, etc.

CapnRic

Country
United States United States
I'm with you on that one brother, I have my surgery tomorrow and I just posted a "I'm freakin out" message. However, quality of life is important. If you let this go too long your activity level decreases, you put on weight or just get out of shape. Do you have any hobbies or sports you used to participate in to help motivate you and provide a reward after recovery? Mine is a 36 Ft sailboat I have down in Mexico. I can't use it now because the pain has become too much and I could seriously hurt myself.

I am hoping to go back down to the boat in January/Feb next year. That is my motivation, my happy place. I am going to remember that everytime I'm in a tough spot, pain, etc. Use this forum, I can't believe I just tripped over this. It is so great to not be alone in this process anymore.

Some outstanding info here, many have gone before us, I'm going to be listening to every one of them.
Good luck, keep posting, get your questions answered, you might feel better about it.

OP
OP
T

Timo50

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm with you on that one brother, I have my surgery tomorrow and I just posted a "I'm freakin out" message. However, quality of life is important. If you let this go too long your activity level decreases, you put on weight or just get out of shape. Do you have any hobbies or sports you used to participate in to help motivate you and provide a reward after recovery? Mine is a 36 Ft sailboat I have down in Mexico. I can't use it now because the pain has become too much and I could seriously hurt myself.

I am hoping to go back down to the boat in January/Feb next year. That is my motivation, my happy place. I am going to remember that everytime I'm in a tough spot, pain, etc. Use this forum, I can't believe I just tripped over this. It is so great to not be alone in this process anymore.

Some outstanding info here, many have gone before us, I'm going to be listening to every one of them.
Good luck, keep posting, get your questions answered, you might feel better about it.
Yes CapnRic, Im a keen motorcyclist, and while I can still ride, it is painful, especially on long trips. That is motivation for me for sure. I wish you the very best of luck tomorrow, let me know how you get on.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello @Timo50
We‘re happy you joined us here and we understand. We’ve all been where you are. No one really embraces losing their natural hip, but it boils down to quality of life at some point.

Living in pain, watching your world shrink, contemplating whether you want to do things depending upon how far you’ll need to walk, how many steps you’ll need to climb, looking for the closest parking spot to the door, declining invitations and possibly disappointing family and friends that want to spend time with you….all adds up to diminished quality of life. You’re as young as you’ll ever be, possibly as healthy as you’ll ever be. Your situation won’t improve, but only worsen, which could make your recovery last longer.
Sometimes we just take a chance in life, with our focus on a brighter future. We aren’t promised length of days, so why not live your best life now, while you’re still young?

I was terrified also, of all you mentioned, but I finally had enough. One day I forced myself to schedule surgery and prayed that if it wasn’t meant to be, there would be obvious roadblocks. Well, there weren’t any, so as much as I wasn’t into it, I just kept moving forward, realizing I could cancel if I really wanted to, but knew I wouldn’t want to start the anxiety all over again.

Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

You can do this! I can’t even recall the number of times I’ve read here, “If I only knew, I wouldn’t have waited SO LONG”.

Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you make decisions. We’re here for support and we care. Stick with us.

Eman85

supremo
Country
Completely understand. I had my first OS visit in 1985, you can see when I finally had my THR. One of the deciding factors was my GP telling me how I'm in good shape and as good a shape as I'll most likely be going forward. After 2 THR's I can say that it's worth it to get it done. I rode motorcycles for decades and it wasn't comfortable. It reached the point where I couldn't stand the ride on lawnmower because of the lack of ROM and the pressure on the joints. I can say that all of that is gone.

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
It's a big step but one that's very worth it @Timo50. I hadn't even realized how small my world (and therefore my wife's as well) had shrunk until afterwards when I could once again do anything I want to without being in pain. This site was a tremendous help to me throughout recovery, having others that have been through it, or are currently going through it eased a lot of my concerns.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Timo50 This might help you with deciding about getting the hip replaced. It's a simple survey of just how much you are currently giving up because of a bad hip. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/score-chart-how-bad-is-my-arthritic-hip-knee.19871/

Click on the attachment, print it out, complete it honestly, and take it with you to appointment with a good hip surgeon.

I had both hips replaced almost 10 years ago and am VERY glad that I had that done! Life with pain free hips is much, much, much more fun!

58hippain

Country
Tim it sounds like its time. In 2010 I ran my last Chicago Marathon of 4. I few years later I had to sell my motorcycle because my hip range of motion made riding to painful. A gradual decrease in hip function by 2020 I could not keep up with my grandsons ages 2 and 4. By this summer I could hardly walk any distance and had to give up my part time job due to the amount of walking involved. The afternoon of surgery when PT got me up I was overjoyed that I could walk pain free. 8 weeks later I can use treadmill, elliptical, Stairmaster. In a few weeks I will be getting the other hip replaced and can not wait to be 100% pain free. I had never spent a day in the hospital prior to surgery. I put it off for the fear of the unknown. Some of your symptoms sound familiar. I feel like a have been given quality of life back and I am sure you will to. Good luck with your decision and the surgery when you elect to have it. You have a huge support system here .

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carolyn67
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom