BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app will be discontinued February 1, 2018 so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 29 years old - THR on 01/09/18

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by amg1529, Jan 3, 2018.

1. amg1529

amg1529

United States United States
    Hi I'm new to the site. I'm 29 years old and I'm scheduled to have a right total hip replacement on January 9, 2018. when I was 13 I was diagnosed with Severe Aplastic Anemia and part of the treatment included long term steroids. As a result I got Avascular Necrosis (AVN) in both hips. However, my right hip is a lot worse. I've dealt with a lot of pain and tried to hold off on surgery until now.

I am scared of the surgery but I hope it will drastically change my quality of life.

I hope I can get some info from people who have gone through this and what to expect. If there is anyone around my age I would appreciate learning from your experience and how your recovery went.

I will be starting a new job late February, so I am most concerned about the recovery timeline. I hope I will be recovered enough to go to work in mid to late February.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. MammaT

MammaT

Welcome @amg1529. I am nowhere close to your age, but I was 61 for my first thr. I recovered very well and it greatly increased my quality of life. So much so I am getting right hip done next month before it has me in daily tears. Return to work may depend upon type of job. I have a desk job, I was back in a few weeks.

Read the information on this site, you will learn a lot. There are folks on here younger than you who have had very successful outcomes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @amg1529
    Welcome to BoneSmart!
    There are people your age and younger who've experienced THR.
    You are not alone in feeling anxious, most of us were leading up to surgery.
    It will be life changing in the sense that you will lose the hip pain and re-gain your life.

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
    The Activity Progression article above is a rough guideline. Each persons recovery is different but recovery normally progresses much more quickly than you'd imagine. Please stop by often. We'll be here to offer support and encouragement in the days and weeks to come. Wishing you peace and comfort as you await the 9th.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Irish Joe

Irish Joe FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Ireland Ireland
    @amg1529.
    Best wishes to you with your upcoming hip replacement.
    When I was getting mine done there was a young woman in her late 20s or early 30s in the clinic at the same time getting one done. I don't know the reason why though.
    I saw her some time ago crossing the road and she looked so different from the girl I met in hospital.

The op will make such a difference to you. Less than a week to no hip pain for you.
    shugaplum, https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/stories-of-amazing-hip-recoveries.47/ is someone you should have a look at. Here's another link to shugaplums story.

Stay here on bonesmart and you'll help ease your mind.

Joe.......

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Here is our star, shugaplum, who had her hip done at the tender age of 24 and two years later gave birth to a fine baby boy!

ai58.tinypic.com_jt6xa8.jpg

You might also take a look here Teenage hip replacements

So don't hope - KNOW it to be true!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Susan209

Susan209

Australia Australia
    Hi @amg1529, I am 39 and had my hip replaced 7 weeks ago. Whereas my recovery is not as easy-breezy as sometimes advertised, I am improving on a weekly basis, and I'm definitely better than before surgery (think increased ROM etc.). Patience is the magic ingredient...
    As for returning to work, it depends very much on what you do for work and how your recovery progresses. I am not the norm, but I went back to FT from home after 8 days off (my temp replacement didn't work out plus I was bored). I did work some odd hours (very early cause I couldn't sleep, or very late...), and I did take breaks in between whenever I felt like it, which isn't something that I could have done at the office. I have only returned to the office this week.
    All the best

• Like Like x 2
  7. dianrow

dianrow

Hi @amg1529,, I'm a bit older than you...recently turned 40 and had my LTH 12/7/17. You will do great and will feel like a new person afterward.

My 2 cents, slow and steady!!! don't push to hard and LISTEN to your body. Stay on top of your meds. Dont be afraid of taking them they are there to help you rest and keeping the pain in check will also improve your spirits and positive vibes.

Don't be afraid to ask for help!! Put the superwoman cape away and relish in someone else doing dishes, laundry, etc.

Overall, I haven't had a horrible experience with the surgery itself or.the recovery.

I to am struggling with the whole going back to work thing. i don't go back to my Dr til the 19th for my 6 week but am itching to call his office Monday about going back early. I have a desk job and they are pretty lenient on things. My Dr was not opposed to me going back at 1 month out when we were first considering the surgery taking into consideration activity, age, etc.

I'm sure I could keep yacking but I quit for now lolol. Your gonna do great!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hope surgery went well and pain is managed....first days can be rough but think temporary.
    Post when you are able!
    Healing wishes going your way :friends:

9. amg1529

amg1529

Thanks everyone for the motivation. It really helped calm my nerves prior to surgery. The recovery hasn’t been too bad and I just wanted to give an update.
    I am almost 2 weeks post op and recovering well. The first week was the hardest. I had a lot of trouble sleeping through the night but that is slowly improving. Pain has been well controlled with meds and otherwise I’m doing well. PT has been great and therapist says I am recovering very well and overall quickly. I used a walker for the first week and half and now switched to a cane. The cane is so much better. I feel I have more freedom and mobility with it and can’t wait for the day I no longer need it. I definitely need to remind myself to take it slow and not over do the walking or exercises. My only concern is that my right leg (operated leg) feels a lot longer. I was reading online about it and I see it could just be a perception issue. I hope it’s just that. Did anyone feel that way? I have my first post op appointment on the 22 and looking forward to what the surgeon has to say.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

So glad you got through the first week. I have no experience with the leg length issue ...but am awful lot have. I'm sure you will get some reassurance on that.
    This early on there will be a myriad of strange sensations...
    Sounds like you are doing well if yogi are already on cane.
    Hope you are taking all slowly and keeping that ice around.
    A new hip for a new year is wonderful! Bye bye hip pain, the rest will pass!
    Hang in there!:) :-) (:

11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @amg1529 Welcome to the other side. You will notice I moved your thread to the hip recovery area of the forum since you have had your surgery. Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread so that we have your history in one place in case we need to advise you.

I'll leave your recovery reading list here for you to refer to if needed.
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
    BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. MammaT

MammaT

I had that feeling of difference in length @amg1529. As my mobility increased it went away. Interestingly, with my right hip going, the feeling is coming back (maybe a bit real this time instead of perceived). Your recovery sounds very good. You have transitioned to cane more quickly than I did. It does give you a greater sense of normalcy. Don’t over do it in your exuberance!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. SaraK

SaraK

I didn't have the sensation with my first (or just didn't really think about it). I felt it with my second but the feeling subsided as the pain and swelling subsided so that I was holding myself more normally.

• Useful Useful x 1