Reverse Shoulder Replacement 29 hours post op

Hey @calminsf - I'm new to this shoulder recovery (rotator cuff surgery almost 3 weeks ago) but not to ortho surgeries. I'm sorry you're feeling so deserted right now. I don't think surgeon's really understand how patients feel going thru something like this generally. It's even worse now with access to your surgeon and PT being so limited. I opted to skip my 2 week follow up but I'm in a sling with no PT for 6 weeks so going into the hospital for a nothing follow up didn't seem worth it. But that was my choice. @momweb and I are both recovering from rotator cuff surgery and would love for you to join us in commiserate and learning from and supporting each other!

Hello, I have tried the PT online and it just was not my thing. I need more specific instruction and some motivation would help me! I will be starting with a human PT tomorrow thank goodness. For some reason my non operated shoulder started hurting because of inflammation from my ankylosing spondylitis. Fortunately I get infusions of REMICADE every 6 weeks and it has helped a great deal. My reverse shoulder surgery has been great! The pain has been manageable. I have not done any resistance exercises at all. I’m keeping up with pendulum exercises and stretching. I do hope you are doing well with your post surgery.

I'm glad you're going to be able to work with a live human. I much prefer having someone that can direct and correct and is watching to see your individual reaction/fatigue/pain level, etc. It's, of course, a little more scary in today's times. I start PT on 4/27 and knew what they did cleaning between patients before all of this because of prior PT with them. I've still asked other questions about what they're doing to stay safe and keep their clients safe. Be sure to ask questions and observe and speak up (including with your feet) if you find something not up to your standards.

Thanks. Yes a real therapist was a good thing. It was a session in an infusion site where my therapist and I were the only ones there. She did wipe everything down and we both wore face masks! I did hear from her that there are several patients that injure the non operated shoulder by over doing! It is frustrating to be trying to get over the surgery limitations and discomfort and wham the other shoulder hurts more than the operated on one! Oh well... did I mention that I hold the softball throw record from grammar school! Ha!

Sounds like a much better experience! I'm glad you were able to get in to see someone (and that they have good hygiene habits to make you feel more comfortable). I'm hoping this is just the ticket to get you moving in the right direction!

(And I'm impressed with your softball record even if it was from grammar school. I think I'm the poster child for the old "throw like a girl" taunt.)

12 weeks plus a couple days post op and doing pretty good! Especially in the pain department. I started with a real human PT and am having some really good results. My flexibility is really good. I can almost reach overhead! I’m still using ice maybe every other day, and still taking OTC Advil and an occasional stiff drink. My “issue” is my non operated shoulder. I seem to have developed tendonitis and it can be very painful! There are times when I have ice packs on both shoulders! Over all I am very pleased with my outcome and would not hesitate recommending this reverse shoulder surgery.

I'm so glad things improved once you had a live person for PT! I'm at 7 weeks from rotator cuff and have had a couple weeks of PT and it has made a world of difference.

I hope the other shoulder calms down. It's hard to totally relax some joints because we use them for so much. Hopefully the pain will ease off as you begin using the op arm for more. I'm trying to use the op arm for as many things as I can just to get more flexibility from it.

Take care and stay safe!

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. I found therapy to be a big help with my shoulder too. It should just keep improving. Hooray!!!

16 weeks ago I had reverse shoulder surgery. I am pleased to report my pain is minimal my range of motion is very good! The issue for me is my muscles feel so very weak. And, the doctor says I shouldn’t lift more than 6 pounds!!! That is difficult!
This is probably a good spot to mention 20 years ago I had a total hip replacement and it’s starting to ache... after that I’ll have one more joint to go! HA HA. I would have to say the shoulder was the easiest then hips one at a time then that bilateral knee replacement takes the top honors for being the most painful! But I’m glad I did them together in retrospect. Thanks for reading bye for now

Is there a reason for the weight limit being so low? I'm 10 weeks post op from rotator cuff surgery and was told 5-10 lbs at my 8 week check and starting to move to 7.5 on some exercises this weekend. Different surgeries of course but I though rotator was more restrictive at this point. I'm also a one at time hippie but hope I never need to have the knees done! This rehab longer than hips but I've been lucky to not have to deal with too much pain.

The reverse shoulder replacement totally changes the way the joint works and so the weight restrictions are more strict while the shoulder heals and new muscles learn to do the lifting motions. If you push too fast, you risk damaging the new joint and even joint failure.

Eventually, most people will be able to life up to 50 pounds to waist height. But this takes time and work for the new muscles to strengthen and absorb the force of the movement so the implant itself is not overtaxed. With a reverse replacement, even after full recovery, movements above the waist can sometimes be more limited and a person must be very careful with weight lifted above the waist. Reverse shoulder replacements are primarily for relief of pain and not for regaining strength and range of motion for the shoulder joint. But the beauty of this procedure is that it is very successful in relieving pain and can restore a shoulder to functionality where a regular replacement is simply not possible.

Interesting - thanks for the explanation @Jamie

Drama in the recovery zone! I had an emergency type thing happen where I dislocated my hip and 9 hours later with anesthesia I had it popped back in. It’s darn painful even after a week. My “issue” is that while I was trying to get my 160 pound body back onto the bed I did this kind of push up and since, I‘ve had a new kind of pain in my shoulders. On Monday I see the PT so I’m thinking she will be able to tell me if I messed up my recent (3 months ago) shoulder replacement.

@calminsf gosh, I sure hope you didn't cause injury to your new shoulder! At only 3 months out of TSR that's a lot of pressure to be putting through the joint. Have you thought about calling your surgeon's office just to get this checked?

I’m hopeful the Physical Therapist on Monday will be able to assess any damages.

I agree with Jaycey that you need to advise your shoulder surgeon of what has happened. The therapist might be able to provide some input, but this is really something that needs a surgeon's expertise to properly evaluate.

Hello, yesterday my PT checked my pain level and my range of motion and things seem good. Since I was more than three months post op when I fell is also a good thing. I’m supposed to go back to just stretching kind of exercises with no resistance. I do have an appointment with my surgeon next week! I’m hopeful.

That sounds promising......good!

Here's a question I'm not sure where to post... Since I dislocated my hip it is hurting with weight bearing and its changing my gait a lot. I'm using a cane for awhile. Does anybody know how long this hip is going to hurt for? Silly question I know. I am sooooo ready to be on the other side of pain!

I'm sure you probably know that it's impossible for anyone to predict how long you'll have pain associated with your dislocation. But I sure can understand that you are ready for the pain part to be over with. Be sure you are taking something - even just Tylenol - on a schedule as long as you have pain. You can take 1000mg of Tylenol every 6 hours through the day and night and that should help you be more comfortable. You'r body has been through a lot and it does take some time to pop back. Hang in there!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back