Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Reverse Shoulder Replacement 29 hours post op

SaraK

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hey @calminsf - I'm new to this shoulder recovery (rotator cuff surgery almost 3 weeks ago) but not to ortho surgeries. I'm sorry you're feeling so deserted right now. I don't think surgeon's really understand how patients feel going thru something like this generally. It's even worse now with access to your surgeon and PT being so limited. I opted to skip my 2 week follow up but I'm in a sling with no PT for 6 weeks so going into the hospital for a nothing follow up didn't seem worth it. But that was my choice. @momweb and I are both recovering from rotator cuff surgery and would love for you to join us in commiserate and learning from and supporting each other!

OP
OP
C

calminsf

Country
Hello, I have tried the PT online and it just was not my thing. I need more specific instruction and some motivation would help me! I will be starting with a human PT tomorrow thank goodness. For some reason my non operated shoulder started hurting because of inflammation from my ankylosing spondylitis. Fortunately I get infusions of REMICADE every 6 weeks and it has helped a great deal. My reverse shoulder surgery has been great! The pain has been manageable. I have not done any resistance exercises at all. I’m keeping up with pendulum exercises and stretching. I do hope you are doing well with your post surgery.

SaraK

post-grad
Country
I'm glad you're going to be able to work with a live human. I much prefer having someone that can direct and correct and is watching to see your individual reaction/fatigue/pain level, etc. It's, of course, a little more scary in today's times. I start PT on 4/27 and knew what they did cleaning between patients before all of this because of prior PT with them. I've still asked other questions about what they're doing to stay safe and keep their clients safe. Be sure to ask questions and observe and speak up (including with your feet) if you find something not up to your standards.

OP
OP
C

calminsf

Country
Thanks. Yes a real therapist was a good thing. It was a session in an infusion site where my therapist and I were the only ones there. She did wipe everything down and we both wore face masks! I did hear from her that there are several patients that injure the non operated shoulder by over doing! It is frustrating to be trying to get over the surgery limitations and discomfort and wham the other shoulder hurts more than the operated on one! Oh well... did I mention that I hold the softball throw record from grammar school! Ha!

SaraK

post-grad
Country
Sounds like a much better experience! I'm glad you were able to get in to see someone (and that they have good hygiene habits to make you feel more comfortable). I'm hoping this is just the ticket to get you moving in the right direction!

(And I'm impressed with your softball record even if it was from grammar school. I think I'm the poster child for the old "throw like a girl" taunt.)

OP
OP
C

calminsf

Country
12 weeks plus a couple days post op and doing pretty good! Especially in the pain department. I started with a real human PT and am having some really good results. My flexibility is really good. I can almost reach overhead! I’m still using ice maybe every other day, and still taking OTC Advil and an occasional stiff drink. My “issue” is my non operated shoulder. I seem to have developed tendonitis and it can be very painful! There are times when I have ice packs on both shoulders! Over all I am very pleased with my outcome and would not hesitate recommending this reverse shoulder surgery.

SaraK

post-grad
Country
I'm so glad things improved once you had a live person for PT! I'm at 7 weeks from rotator cuff and have had a couple weeks of PT and it has made a world of difference.

I hope the other shoulder calms down. It's hard to totally relax some joints because we use them for so much. Hopefully the pain will ease off as you begin using the op arm for more. I'm trying to use the op arm for as many things as I can just to get more flexibility from it.

Take care and stay safe!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. I found therapy to be a big help with my shoulder too. It should just keep improving. Hooray!!!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
RAS54
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom