29 and scared of THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aduke

Hi,
I am so glad I found this forum. I am 29 and I have suffered from hip dysplasia since I was a child. I had corrective surgery when I was about 2 and now I have severe arthritis in my left hip. I can only walk for about 10 minutes pain free and if I walk longer than that, it hurts. Sometimes the pain wakes me up and interferes with my sleeping. I have serious issues with wearing my shoes (boots and tying laces) or clipping my toenails. I have had a limp as far back as I can remember and I am hoping this surgery will help with my gait I have been taking naproxen almost every day for about 4 years now. I have scheduled a hip replcement surgery for March 31 and I am getting really terrified.

I have heard of "Acute Rehab" facilities where I can get intensive physical therapy to help with the recovery process. Has anyone done this?
Also I live in a townhouse with 3 floors and I have no idea when I will be able to go up the stairs safely. I also love to play my piano and I hope I will be able to get back to my piano after 3 weeks! Although I can take up to 3 months from work, I am hoping that it will not take that long because not having something to do for 3 months is a scary thought and I am hoping I will not go crazy from the boredom. I am single and although my parents will be helping the first couple of weeks, they are not US residents and getting around might be a problem. I have so many concerns its overwhelming sometimes.

I am just thankful that I found this forum. Any ideas on how to prepare for and recover from surgery will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey, my sis is 57 yrs old and she had both hips replaced three months apart. She is very athletic and in great shape. She left the hospital the same day!! walked up and down the steps the same day and had therapy at home for two weeks and then went back to work. Do hang in there and stay positive. I think you are going to do great and just do what the docs say to do.

Hi Aduke

Thanks for posting. I am having ThR in March, also for hip displaysia. I have had it all my life, but not as bad as you do. Although now at 53 I can hardly walk. So I am excited that I will be able to walk for more than a few minutes and do stuff like go to the grocery store without putting it off and gritting my teeth. The 3 month estimate is what you could take, but I can't imagine why it would take that much time as young as you are.

If you are getting up and down the stairs now, it probably won't be much harder after surgery, although I plan on staying home for a few days.

I have had 2 other surgeries, so I am not very concerned about the surgery. I hope it will go well. Talking to other people is a good way to start.

Good luck sweetie!

Fear of the unknown is the worst kind of fear. You can't rationalise it. But read around these two hip forums. You will get all the information and help you need. If there are any specific questions, do feel free to post here. I, or another member, will do our best to answer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom