THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queenie

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there all you lovely Bonesmarties

I am now on day 26 of my recovery from my 2nd THR(had LTHR 3yrs ago). I posted a few threads back then and found this forum a huge help. I wish I had kept a diary of my progress so that I would now have something to compare to. But I didn't and now find myself in what I can only describe as Limbo Land.

Up until now I have been exceedingly positive and have spent half the time laughing with my husband and two daughters (15 &11), as we have all been able to see the funny side of things. I feel I have coped really well with the challenges facing someone recovering from a THR (it ain't been easy!) but I'm now feeling a bit low as my progress seems to have slowed down some what. I know everyone heals at a different pace and I know the worst thing I can do is compare myself to others, but I can't help it!!! I notice most people are doing a lot of PT. I was allowed to go home after 4days with a few basic exercises that I have to do before I see my surgeon again at 6wks. I was under strict instructions to do no more other than full weight bearing short walks a couple of times a day.

Unfortunately my first op wasn't a total success and I have been left with some soft tissue and muscle problems that no amount of physio, acupuncture, myofacial release, etc etc has been able to put right. Every medical person I have seen has told me that it wasn't anything I did wrong in my recovery and that I was just in that unlucky 4%. But as you can imagine I'm worried that because I don't appear to be healing as quickly as some people I might not be doing enough PT. I'm worried that I'm going to end up with two unsuccessful hips.

My muscles in my groin feel very tight. My muscles in my butt feel very tight and swollen. And I generally feel very stiff in both these areas. I can't get up from a chair/loo without pushing up with my hands. I'm also exhausted because I have to sleep on my back (not comfy), and I never get any more than two hours kip at a time. I also feel an awful burden on my husband who has been a wonderful nurse.

On a lighter note I'd like to list a few positives:
*I can hobble around the house with no crutches
*I walk 10-20mins twice a day with one crutch
*I can dress myself(bit tricky but I do it!)
*I can shower myself(although husband still likes to stand guard, just in case!)
*I can walk up and downstairs normally but have to hang on to bannister.
*I can make myself some basic meals.
Can't do much else due to 90 degree rule.

I'm so so sorry to have a little moan (actually its a big moan!), because this forum is full of positivity (believe it or not I'm usually a positive and humorous person). I just feel like I've hit a wall. I've lost my Mojo and I need a big cuddle.
Love you guys
Queenie xxxxx

I have no idea how that laughing/crying icon got there?! And I meant BIG moan not GIG moan! Scuse my rubbish typing skills. X

Here's a HUGE cuddle from me Queenie, down days are grim aren't they. I don't have any PT either Queenie - my hospital doesn't advise it for hip replacements, they just advise walking and as it's one of the top orthopaedic hospitals in the UK then that's good enough for me! I don't feel my recovery from my last THR was in any way impeded by not doing PT - in fact after hearing what others went through doing it I was grateful it wasn't prescribed! And if you were given strict instructions then follow them, they were for a reason!
Do you think you're trying to do without your crutches too soon if you say you're hobbling? You might do better if you continue to use them - everyone ditches them at different times, some much later than others and if you need them still then you'd be better sticking with them. No prizes for causing yourself pain and discomfort! And as for hanging on to the bannister, too right, keep hanging on! I think you're making great progress and it isn't a race. Better to take a bit longer and get it right than push it and mess up all your surgeon's fine work. It is so easy to make comparisons and we all do it but we are all different and will get where we want to be but not at the same time.
So go and have a nice cup of tea and put your feet up for a while, I'm certainly going to after a little potter, with my crutches, down he road and back!

Take care
Anne :spin:

Thanks Anne, I really appreciate your reply. I forget that I also have had a hip replacement from one of the top orthopaedic hospitals in the country(Exeter). So you're right I should be content with the advice they have given me. When I say I hobble around the house, it's only from chair to chair........Loo to door......etc. I'm being sensible. For the majority of the time I'm using one crutch.
I'm now off for a walk down the lane. Then I'm going to come home, put my feet up, have a cuppa and watch a few more Homeland Episodes(husband bought me the series 1 box set for Crimbo).......Top Pressie!!!! Xxxxxx

Big big big hug to you. Im also form the UK, and they dont normally give PT after hips and even after bilateral I had to pay for some and push for the NHS to provide it. I did hydrotherapy for 4 of the 6 weeks i was under wieght and 90 degree rule 2 sessions a week. Until things become easier do not try and do more than you are already doing I casued my self agony after pushing too hard.

if you can try and see if you can get some hydrotherapy, but if not dont worry about it just do the excercises you have been told to do and let the healing take place I was on two crutches till 5 weeks then sticks and I take walking poles with me when I go for a long walk or a folding walking stick as its better to walk correctly with a bit of support than to hobble as your just prolonging your recovery.
Enjoy Homeland, and your cup of tea after your walk.

Hi Queenie

I noticed your post because of your user name. My gran used to call me Queenie when I was a little girl growing up in Manchester about 100 years ago. Well, in the 1950s. It was a pet name for children in those days.

My first thoughts were exactly the same as those of Beesquare Anne. I had a 2-stage revision before Christmas, and although the crutches can be a nuisance, I am really not in a big hurry to be rid of them. Far better to take things slowly, I think, in the hopes of a better end result.

As for using the banister on the stairs... So what? I cling onto any available banister like grim death - and have no intention of ever doing otherwise. That's what they're there for, if you think about it.

Believe me, I do understand your impatience. I don't suppose there is anyone on the forum who doesn't want to be doing more, asap, and with no pain. Hang in there. Accentuate the positive. Keep on truckin'. Stuff like that.

All the best!

Glynis

Thanks For your reply Glynis,
Sometimes you just need someone outside your family and friends to tell you that you're doing ok. I think I've been putting too much pressure on myself so I really appreciate your kind words.
My husband is the only person who calls me Queenie. My maiden name was Quantick and when we first met 30 yrs ago Queenie was the only name he could come up with that rhymed. I love it. : )

Queenie, sending hugs your way, You are doing fine, here in the states we are obsessed with PT and not getting addicted to pain meds, but the bottom line as Josephine so often says, is hips take care of themself. Walk when you can and go slow and steady. Remember blues are also part of recovery so hopfully some sunshine is heading your way

welcome 10.jpg
Queenie, so please you have joined us here on the forum. Gee, sweetie, you're not quite one month post op. You are doing just fine. And PT is definitely not a requirement for a good recovery. When I had my hip replaced, I had in home PT twice a week for 6 weeks. I only did the exercises only when the therapist came to the house. The rest of the time I just got my exercise by living my life---slowly increasing my activity level.

I want to share the BoneSmart mantra with you. Following it to the letter will improve you recovery 100 percent:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

We're here for you night and day to help in any way we can. We care. And I believe you said you needed a big hug----well here you are:
big hug 4.gif

I am now on day 26 of my recovery from my 2nd THR. I'm now feeling a bit low as my progress seems to have slowed down some what. I know everyone heals at a different pace and I know the worst thing I can do is compare myself to others, but I can't help it!!! I notice most people are doing a lot of PT.
First thing you need to remember is that you are only 3½ weeks out - still in the baby stages.
I was allowed to go home after 4 days with a few basic exercises that I have to do before I see my surgeon again at 6wks. I was under strict instructions to do no more other than full weight bearing short walks a couple of times a day. I'm worried that because I don't appear to be healing as quickly as some people I might not be doing enough PT.
You were not sent home because you were recovered but TO RECOVER! BIG difference! Recovery takes anything up to 10 weeks and probably more.
Read these
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it.
My muscles in my groin feel very tight. My muscles in my butt feel very tight and swollen. And I generally feel very stiff in both these areas. I can't get up from a chair/loo without pushing up with my hands. I'm also exhausted because I have to sleep on my back (not comfy), and I never get any more than two hours kip at a time.
Nothing unusual there - it's called post-op pain! And at 3 weeks, very few people can get up from the loo or a chair without pushing up with both hands. You will be a while yet before you pass that hurdle. Sleep patterns are very fractured after major surgery. It's made worse by having to sleep on your back but is not the root cause.

Pain management is important right now. So would you tell me what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking and how often?
Here are some more articles to read
Pain management and the pain chart
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?.

I can hobble around the house with no crutches.
I walk 10-20mins twice a day with one crutch
I can walk up and downstairs normally but have to hang on to bannister.
I don't wonder you are in pain. You are doing rather too much at such an early stage. Take it more slowly - there are no prizes for getting their quickly and you might even make things worse! Remember that this is not a sprint, it's a marathon, so place yourself!

More reading!
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT).

I also feel an awful burden on my husband who has been a wonderful nurse.
This is the third time today I have addressed this issue. I am beginning to think that most women think they have a monopoly on being the caring partner! The same goes for your daughters - imagine what a wonderful learning experience it is for them to help care for you. Do please read this great article from our Library Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help.

Hi Queenie,

Hope you are feeling better! Just thought I would send you some good vibes from NZ!..

I'm glad you took the time to write this post... The support and feedback that is given on this forum from the members, admins and moderators is so reassuring and heartfelt. So post away about the good and not so good.. Trust me.. You are definitely not alone!

Rest easy and remember that you and your hips are on the same team! :)

Hi, Queenie.....I want you to know that we all care about you and will send as many hugs as it takes to get the job done for you. You simply must not beat yourself up because you aren't at some magical point of recovery and here it is three weeks from your surgery. Please, please take Josephine's advice, read all the links that she and others have provided to articles in the BoneSmart Library, and try to relax. This is YOUR time, hon!!! You must be kind to your body and allow it permission to heal on its own schedule. You can't hurry. In fact if you push, you'll find yourself even more uncomfortable than now.

Do let us know about what pain medication you are taking. Proper pain management is very, very important. And....pain can come in many forms - from hurting to the more subtle restless feelings you may have at night.

Just know that we're always here for you.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your very kind responses. I really really appreciate them.

Bottomshollo that hug was Gert Lush as we say here in the South West of England....Thank you!!

Just wanted to let you know the meds I'm taking. Paracetamol every 4hrs, 30-69mg codeine phosphate twice a day, warfarin. I've also been prescribed Diazepam 2mg for muscle cramps and spasms.
I've been desperate to come off the warfarin as I'm experiencing horrible tight muscle pain in my groin and butt and would dearly love to take some ibuprofen. I think my surgeon is being a little too cautious as I had a 'suspected' blood clot in the lung 20yrs ago. Still, only another couple of weeks on the Warfarin.
I'm not over doing the exercises and I'm doing some light stretching and massaging in the groin area. I guess it will all settle down in its own time.
Thanks again to everyone for listening, it really helps. : )

Lotsa love

Queenie xxx

Hi Queenie,

'Gert lush' ....are you from Bristol?
I live very nearby and worked there for many years...
And a big hug from me too. This difficult time WILL pass.

Ali x

Hi Queenie, I have just completed my surgery also and know matter how 'tough' and prepared I thought I was mentally (I knew this was coming for 8 yrs), I crashed and became a bit of a sooky buba and was planning my escape form hospital on a daily basis :rotfl:

I am sure that time will heal all and soon enough this will be a distant memory. Mother Nature has a way of intervening and assisting us when we least expect it. In the meantime ensure that you are pamered because, by God, you sound like a beautiful person and desreve nothing less!!!. :friends:

BIG BIG HUGS from me !!! and lots of positive healing vibes coming you way :flwrysmile:

Aaah thanks Stargirl.........I do love a hug......cyber or otherwise!
Just out of interest, you say you have just 'completed' your surgery. Scuse my ignorance, but where are you exactly in the proceedings? Also, where in the world are you reporting from?

Alipali........I lived in Bristol for 4yrs back in the early 90's. Now back in my home town Exeter. 'Gert lush' is one of my favourite sayings.
Did you have your op in the West Country?

Lotsa love

Queenie xxx

Doh!!!........sorry Stargirl, just noticed your op was on 23rd Jan xxxx

Hi Queenie

I had both my ops in Taunton, both with 'girt lush' results!!!!
You will get your life back but it just takes time which I know so frustrating, but you will be surprised....Some days you will feel like you are going nowhere or even backwards and others you will feel more comfortable or be able to do something which the day before felt was totally out of reach.
We all have our own individual journeys. By the end the bad bits will be a very distant memory...well they are for me. You will feel gurt lush.

I lived in Bristol from 1977-99. Then I moved to Somerset but continued working in Bristol until 2011.

Ali xoxox

Hi Queenie, Huge Hugs to you.
I had trouble sleeping flat on my back as it was so uncomfortable. I got myself a back rest and pile my pillows on it. It is much more comfortable for me. It's worth a try anyway. Happy healing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie