BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

24 hours

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by BionicBob, Oct 8, 2017.

1. BionicBob

BionicBob

United States United States
    In 24 hrs I will be at the hospital. Have to be there tomorrow at 8 am, so I assume surgery will be about 10. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous! Mainly because the thought of what their going to do to my knee/leg still freaks me out a little. But It'll be nice to end the nagging pain,
    discomfort and lack of stability. Hoping they put me to sleep ASAP, perform the procedure, and I wake up after it's over with a nice hot fudge sunday or a burger and fries ~insert very big grin here~

Once again, pleae excuse my absense. Lifes demands sometimes get in the way. That and a boatload of tasks to complete prior to surgery as by the time I recover enough to be able to do anything, winter will be at our doorstep. My wife did recover from her hospital stay, but ended up
    staying almost a week before discharged. She's home now and doing fine. Then my GSD came down with an illness that took me by surprise and took healthy bite out of my wallet as well. At 11 yrs old, I though her time with us was coming to a close. But she recovered fine as well.

So...had my pre op pyhsical a couple weeks ago and they found a glitch in my EKG...great another delay. This required a stress test, but since my knee is spent, I had to have a Nuclear Stress test instead of using the treadmill. This was a first for me, especially the Nuclear version. And to
    be honest, hope I never have to go through that experience again!! Talk about cutting it close with the scheduled surgery date...I found out this past Friday that I passed with flying colors. Big sigh of relief!!

I still have a couple minor tasks to take care of outside after the showers move through, but in the grand scheme of things, everything I needed/wanted to get done is completed. A few weeks ago, I wasn't sure I'd make it in time.

The house is ready and I have all the needed equipment excluding the ice machine, which I'll get at the hospital when I'm discharged. Even bought a power recliner, which is super comfortable. Whew...where did the time go?? The Oct 9th surgery date was scheduled last June and at the time, I thought I still had a lifetime before it happened. Being so busy though kept my mind occupied and I didn't dwell on the TKR too much...that was actually a blessing.

So for now, time to go get dressed and take care of a couple last things, otherwise it'll be an easy relaxing day. I expect to be camping out in my new recliner post surgery for a couple weeks, so I imagine I'll be here at BS pretty much 24/7 looking for guidance, support and encouragement that all the members here so willingly offer...trust me I'm sure I'll need it!!

PS...hope I didn't violate forum protocol by starting this thread. If I did, I'll understand if a moderator moves it. I do know to start a separate thread for recovery though. I also need to go look for my previous threads and follow up with a couple that I left hanging.

Wish me luck because I need all I can get at this point. I'll try and touch bases here later tonight if I'm up for it, but no promises. I hope to be discharged by Tuesday afternoon if there's no complications and I pass the tests for release. I am extremely greatful for this forum. This is one site that I'll never forget about or abandon since it's given me an abundance of information and
    knowledge, along with the members so willing to share their experiences.

PS#2...sorry for the format errors. I typed this earlier this am using word and then C/P it here. Tried to correct it prior to posting, but it wouldn't hold the format. Not going to worry about it.

2. birdwatchr

birdwatchr

@BionicBob
    I thought I was the only one with the ekg incident. The nuclear stress test was definitely no fun, and the stress of getting everything done in 4 days (when they had 30 days to decide on all this) was horrendous. Glad you were also able to get it done in time. I also hope to never have to go through that again. And even though I used a treadmill all the time, they would not allow it for the stress test due to my knee.

Your knee will be done in no time! And afterward you will be wondering why you stressed over it! See you on the other side. Keep us posted. I don't post often, but I do read the posts.

3. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Best wishes for your surgery, Bob.

Looking forward to hearing from you from the Recovery Area.

PS: It's OK to have several threads in the Pre-Op Area, but we like you to stick to just one thread for recovery. :)

4. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

I too had the nuclear stress test. Family history of heart disease in my case. No fun! I got the result the day before surgery. Cutting it close, right? But everything goes off without a hitch anyway, so you'll soon have your new knee.

See you on the recovery side!

5. izzys mom

izzys mom

Good luck bionicbob let us know how it goes. I'm on count down also one week from tomorrow. I'll be looking to see how you do. Prayers and fingers crossed for you.

6. BionicBob

BionicBob

I thought it was odd that after all the time they had, this last minute scramble seemed to be normal for them. But I also thought that they want to know everything they can at the moment of surgery, so last minute does make sense.

@birdwatchr @Celle @SusieShoes
    Thanks for the well wishes and now back to my recovery thread that I already started. Be patient...I'm a slow typer:heehee:

@izzys mom
    Thanks and best wishes for yours too. I'll keep an open eye for your recovery thread