• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

24 hours post-op...so far, so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Okay, Bonesmarties! My day arrived and passed without any surprises so far! In fact, this has been way better than I expected. I know I have a long ways to go, but so far no pain at all. PT had me up and walking with my walker this morning and the extent of my pain has been some achiness and muscle soreness. Wow!

I understand that the recovery road is long and I will be taking all your good advice to take this slow and keep up with icing the incision area. I continue to be grateful for finding all of you here at Bonesmart who prepared me in so many ways. Thanks again to all of you.

Dan
----------
AVN, Left Hip Core Decompression Nov 8, 2010
Direct Anterior Approach LTHR Feb 28, 2011

lisanewmc

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Great news DAn. Bet you regret not taking the make up in with you now LOL ;0) take it easy.
Lisa

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
You folks that post from your hospital bed amaze me!
I remember the very first member that did that and we were all :wow2:

Glad you're doing so well, Dan. You take it easy now, y'hear?

referee54

omega
Country
United States United States
You folks that post from your hospital bed amaze me!
I remember the very first member that did that and we were all :wow2:

Glad you're doing so well, Dan. You take it easy now, y'hear?
I certainly concur! After my surgery, I was in no shape to post anything for quite some time!

Congrats on your choice to reclaim your life. Take it easy and heal up---please keep us posted as to how you are progressing.:yes 4:

Tykey

big-cheese
Okay, Bonesmarties! My day arrived and passed without any surprises so far! In fact, this has been way better than I expected.

Dan
Didn't we tell you so!!:snork:

The recovery road is long(ish), but perversely the more short cuts you take, the longer it is:th_heehee:

With your good realistic attitude, just stand back and wait to be amazed:happy dance:
You'll be out walking in the woods with the dog by mid summer. If you haven't got a dog, get one because they are wonderful therapy:doggieshmooze:

forbesy

post-grad
Country
Great news Dan and mind and take it easy, don't rush things best of luck.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
What great news, Dan!!! I'm thrilled to hear you're doing so well. Hope to hear more from you.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Hey Dan, welcome to the other side! Great to hear from you. Be sure and post anytime - someone is always around it I found it really helped pass the time while I was in hospital.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

OP
OP
DanM

DanM

Day 3: PT had may take once around the surgical floor with the walker and two rounds with the cane. Practiced walking up and down steps in the PT lab.*They even let me take a shower today!

They have me on slow release oxycotin twice a day, and percocet as needed. I took some percocet last night when the pain level got to 3.

Feeling a bit more pain today from all the moving about, and the surgery site is bruised and quite swollen. *All quite normal I am told. They changed the dressing this morning and the incision site is clean, no bleeding and no drain.

All in all, still doing great! And, I am still amazed at my progress. This direct anterior approach must be a big difference maker.

I really appreciate everyone's well-wishes!

Dan
------------

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Feeling a bit more pain today from all the moving about, and the surgery site is bruised and quite swollen. *All quite normal I am told.
Yup - all very normal. But you are doing just great Dan. Keep up the good work! You'll be jogging soon!

OP
OP
DanM

DanM

Day 4: I was released from the hospital today--actually, the doctors were prepared to release me yesterday and the hospital case worker was doing all she could to convince me to leave a day early as well. I was successful in staying for the third night and I feel I made the right call.

I had some nausea for the second day in a row and for which they gave me an IV injection for relief. I'd taken several laps around the floor and found my pain was the worst it had been post-op, and which I am now accounting for the nausea. I also came to understand that I was just not taking enough pain meds. Jo, you and others make the case for this so well...still I was hard-headed. I'm finally a believer.

Anyway, I'm back home now, taking my pain meds, keeping the ice on, and occasionally finding that I forget to grab my cane when I walk! All the healthcare folks around me have expressed their delight in my progress so far. Here was my shock for the day--my OS said he would be okay with me returning to work as soon as next week! Of course, I feel I will require a bit more recuperation (especially due to interrupted sleep cycle) but it is a huge shot in the arm just to hear him say that!

The bruising and swelling are probably even a little worse today than yesterday. No one has found it to be beyond the norm, though. My OS has me on the following meds: hydrocodone as needed for pain, iron supplement, 2X full dose aspirin per day, and stool softener. The PT has provided a nice regimen of exercises until my first office appointments in 2 weeks. I have no restrictions at all (obviously within reason and using common sense). He told me I could use my home elliptical machine in the next 10 days or so.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to share my experience here. I'm certain that your support is an enormous part of my success so far.

Dan

P.S. It's nice to be home and have my dog with me. My family is fantastic and are great support.

------------

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
my OS said he would be okay with me returning to work as soon as next week! Of course, I feel I will require a bit more recuperation (especially due to interrupted sleep cycle) but it is a huge shot in the arm just to hear him say that!
Dan - so glad you are home now! But please tell me you aren't even thinking about going to work! :hate-shocked:

You have just had major surgery and it will take you time to recover. Not only do you need to get control of the pain, but just the shock of the surgery is something you need time to recover from.

You had anterior and I am sure you will heal very quickly. Please be kind to yourself and give your body a chance to heal.

Take care!

referee54

omega
Country
I am very glad to hear that you are home and on the mend. Your recovery is progressing well! Please stay on top of the pain. This is an exciting time for you; WOW---using the elliptical machine in the next ten days---that is awesome.

Those dogs help us heal in a great way, don't they? I believe that the Lord put dogs and cats on earth to take care of us when we need it.

Anyway do not be in a hurry, take your time and heal. Soon you will be fully recovered and enjoying all facets of your life the way it should be lived.

TEXAS JACK

senior
WELCOME TO THE ANTERIOR ALUMNI

Boy, can I relate to your story. Had my Direct Anterior Approch THR on 1/31/11. Your OS and mine must have gone to the same school. Same short hospital stay, walked out of the hospital, no restrictions, no formal PT, etc. I'm 4+ weeks PostOp and basically back to "normal". You might check my " report from the otherside" thread to get a preview of what to expect. ( It's all good)

Be cautious of overdoing it. I painfully discovered that I felt better and stronger than I actually was. Not the fault of the DAA, but my own macho BS. The soft tissue has been shoved around quite a bit and the new bone growth takes awhile. Not particularly uncomfortable, and as you have discovered way better than the PreOp pain.

We are even on the same meds. I got my car back at 10 days, use the tread mill and walk every chance I get. I've got 23 years on you and was never a poster boy for fitness ,but I took my 44' sailboat out last Saturday. No ice in Houston. That's what I call great modern medicine. Follow all the instructions and use common sense. You'll do amazingly well.

Keep posting.......Great to hear a true success story.

Regards

Jack

grateful

senior
Hey Dan, you're doing great! Congratulations. I can't believe your surgeon would okay you to go back to work next week; that's a little ridiculous in my opinion. But it sounds like you have good common sense of your own and won't push things too fast. You still are probably getting rid of the last of the anesthesia in your body! Good luck and stay safe. Kim

OP
OP
DanM

DanM

Thanks to everyone for their continued words of wisdom!

Jack, I've been following you and FishnBob close since your surgeries were so recent. Your posts have been a big encouragement to me--thank you!

Tim, I completely concur with your thoughts on our furry companions. She is well aware that I am recuperating and "helping" me along. I sure wish she had thumbs some days!

I do NOT plan to go to work next week...it was just nice to hear him say that. And when push came to shove, I don't know if he really would have signed off on going back full-time. According to my OS, his average for patients' time off work using the DAA is 2.5 weeks.

Day 5 has been good for me. I need to remember not to limp anymore--more mental than physical for me at this point.

Dan

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Isn't it amazing how limping becomes a habit! I still wake up some mornings and catch myself limping. Guess it's from years of practice! :th_heehee:

Sound like you are doing very well Dan. Please do keep us updated!

forbesy

post-grad
Country
Best to take things easy Dan until you get your stitches / staples removed, In Scotland you aren't aloud to drive for eight weeks so I couldn't return until then.
I have set a target of returning to work at the beginning of May but will wait to see how I feel first.:WINK1:

OP
OP
DanM

DanM

Forbesy, of course, you are right about taking it easy and I am doing my best to heed that advice. Driving here is supposed to be cleared by a doctor, but the guideline they told us for left hips is that we can drive as soon as we are no longer taking narcotic pain meds. We Americans rarely appreciate manual transmissions anymore! If I can return to work in 3-4 weeks after surgery I will be a happy guy.

My real 'calendar' goal at this time is for the last week of April when I hope to take my sweetie on a beach vacation to Key West! We can both use the kind of rest and relaxation that only the sand, sun, and water can bring! The OS said he is okay with my planning for that barring any unforseen complications.

FYI - My OS did not close my incision with stitches or staples which need to be removed. All are dissolvable stitches except the steri-strips along the incision. I've not looked at it myself yet but was told my incision is only 4-4.5 inches in total length. Amazing!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Littlepower602
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom