THR 23 days post op THR

Peachestoo

Country
United States United States
Good morning, I just had a a hip replacement 23 days ago and wow still hurt a lot. Within the last year I have had 2 knee replacements and this hip replacement. Ten years ago I had the oth hip replacement. I am doing my daily exercises and walking a bit. I start outside rehab next week and I am kinda scared. I hurt now what is PT gonna do to me. My legs, hip and feet are swollen also. Help.
Thank you all Peachestoo

Following, you'll find the BoneSmart Recovery Guidelines. I'll comment further in a post below this one.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Peachestoo

Hello and welcome to recovery!
First, please provide exact surgery dates for all four joint replacements. With this info, we will create a signature for you which will be helpful for those stopping by to read and comment on your thread.

You've had three major surgeries in the past year. It is no wonder you're hurting. I hope you're icing and elevating in an effort to ease the pain and swelling, if not, please read the articles on each above under # 2 and hopefully by following this practice you'll find more relief.

I would suggest you refrain from PT, especially while you're hurting and this is why -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Give this some serious consideration and let us know what you think.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.
@Peachestoo

@Peachestoo At only 23 days out, it's pretty normal for you to still be hurting. Our expectations and reality often don't line up. I remember distinctly that I had the impression I would be up and back to everything at 6 weeks like nothing happened! Well, it was 14 weeks before I went back to work but I was still continuing to heal and I kept my ice pack handy, even had one at work in the freezer. Icing and elevating my leg were my best friends for quite a while. There is a wide continuum on the recovery spectrum and there's little you can do to change where your hip has decided to settle in on it.

It's your decision about PT but you may want to hold off a bit, give that hip some extra TLC and see how you feel. When things are hurting then your body is telling you it's still healing and not ready to take on anything else right now. Some gentle exercises and easy walking with an assistive device (like a cane) especially if you're still limping, are good for right now. You're in healing mode not training mode. PT is always there if you decide you need it. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

I am as far as one can get from being any type of health professional. That said from experience I'd say that the best thing to do is sit and ice and skip the exercises for a few days. There's no harm in being lazy for a few days and I didn't find much to be gained from most exercises in the months right after surgery. Once you heal there will be plenty of time for exercising.

I’m about 4 weeks out and likewise, still hurting, particularly around my groin and always when walking. Seems to be the way things go for many of us. I guess we just need to give ourselves time.

I saw the PA for my OS today for my 6 weeks. She said that the pain infront of thigh and groin were to be expected at this time. If low and manageable to continue walking and activity as I am and gradually increase. If alot of pain decrease activity for a few days until iget back to low and managed. She said that about 20min of activity at one time e was what was expected at this time so that I am able to get to 1 hour up and active in the house is great. I hope this perspective hopes. I am anxious now to get back to more normal things.

Also I am not doing pt. Just increasing normal activity as I can.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Eehamm
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom