THR 22 years old and THR

Littlepower602

Country
United States United States
I used to think my life was over, when I first got diagnosed with Lupus at age 14.
I always knew from then on I’d have to live differently than all my healthy friends. This DIDNT affect me until I became worse around 20 years old, I had major Lupus flare ups that ended me in the hospital for a month.

Months later I find myself limping and losing strength in my legs, to the point where I am not able to open my legs or even walk.

The doctor said I had Osteoporosis and a fracture in my hip. AT ONLY 21 years old!!! He said I’d need immediate surgery. My whole life stopped and still stops to this day when I think of how it will affect my life when I’m older. Will I be able to have children, move like I used to, have sex like I used to. Just love life how I wanted.

It put me through severe depression and anxiety because I just wanted to be like everyone else. And why has this happened to me?

Now I am exactly 1 month post THR and I am feeling better, my flexibility is getting better. I am still in pain and feel tight but I hope to be able to go back to my normal self who loved to work out, and dance, and run.
Sometimes I lose courage and want everything to end. But I keep pushing forward through the days. Any advice?

:welome: @Littlepower602

So very glad you have found our forum. We are a very supportive group here.
You said you are exactly one month post op.. but can you please give us the exact date and which hip was replaced? We place that information in your signature and it will show at the bottom of any of your posts. It helps members when replying to you. If you look at the bottom of my post you will see my information in regards to my surgeries.

I will leave you our Hip Guidelines to help you along your recovery.. any questions or concerns? Just ask away, and we are so glad you have joined us!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I'm so glad you are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and you see your hopes of laughing, loving and dancing, etc. coming true again. Our THR's can give us our lives back.
You have had some tough times, but you also sound like a strong person. The important thing is to not give up, don't you agree?
I think you are very brave and appreciate your honesty in your first post. :flwrysmile:

Best wishes for your recovery! I’m from the knee side of Bonesmart, but I saw your post as our newest member and just wanted to say hi.

Hang out here with us.
Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

:wave:and welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting that hip fixed.
Life certainly isn't fair sometimes, and I hate that you have had to deal with so much but...oh my stars...you sound like a determined young lady.
I know you aren't a teenager but check this out...
And some more inspirational stories
Particularly this amazing young lady.

One month out is prime time for the post op blues and cabin fever so feel free to hang out here with us some...:friends:

Hello @Littlepower602 - and :welome: to recovery.

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing this will help us to advise you more appropriately. Thank you.:flwrysmile:

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: @Littlepower602 and welcome, you've come to the right place. You've already been given a lot of reading info but there's usually someone always here if you have questions or want to talk.
:banana-santa:

I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must feel, having lived with lupus, and now dealing with the hip replacement and concerns about what your future holds. I am hopeful that as young as you are, there will be medical advancements in the treatment of lupus, and in other issues that may arise for you related to osteoporosis that will address your concerns with less trauma and uncertainty than you have already dealt with. You are wise to share your feelings and questions....it is much healthier to do that and be able to receive support than to stay in your head and sink deeper into worry. I hope that as you move along in your hip recovery things will continue to get better and better for you. :flwrysmile:

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. I'm sorry you're dealing with the challenges of Lupus and it was heartbreaking to read of your reaction to the OA diagnosis and resulting anxiety and depression. It's good to know you're feeling more hopeful and encouraged by your progress. At only one month post op there is still much healing to happen and good things to come. I think you'll soon be singing the praises of THR giving you your life back. Hang in there, brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
@Littlepower602

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom