Lounge Doctor

TKR 22 months post surgery, Flexion and Mid flexion instability…..now what?

Aplace2rest

Country
United States United States
Almost 11 months post OP...does the stiffness and swelling ever go away? I am so discouraged...I try to go,about my daily routine, my knee is so stiff, everything I do is difficult...walking is still painful and my knee and ankle are swollen at the end of the day. I have PT 1 time a week and do daily stretching. Surgeon says, that surgery was successful..everything (X ray) looks good....he suggests that I take a couple of Advil for the swelling......would really like some input, if this is or is not a common occurance....thanks
Hey bud. How are you doing now? I’d love to know if you’ve progressed any and how you’re feeling. Hope all is well. Take care.

OP
OP
G

grey j

Country
Almost 11 months post OP...does the stiffness and swelling ever go away? I am so discouraged...I try to go,about my daily routine, my knee is so stiff, everything I do is difficult...walking is still painful and my knee and ankle are swollen at the end of the day. I have PT 1 time a week and do daily stretching. Surgeon says, that surgery was successful..everything (X ray) looks good....he suggests that I take a couple of Advil for the swelling......would really like some input, if this is or is not a common occurance....thanks
Hey bud. How are you doing now? I’d love to know if you’ve progressed any and how you’re feeling. Hope all is well. Take care.
Hi....I am now 13 months post op...1 yr check up 1/14/21, showed “surgery was successful”, no apparent problems, However, I can only walk 30 min max, my gait is off, before the pain sends me back home. My knee is very stiff. I continue stretching, use the treadmill and recumbent bike at the gym. I have a second opinion scheduled early February. Any thoughts?

sistersinhim

Country
Some of us take longer than a year to heal. That might be you, too. Since you are in pain I suggest you stop all these activities until the pain goes away, then start back up with only one extra thing at a time and see how your knee reacts.

OP
OP
G

grey j

Country
Hi..I had left TKR 12/19, difficult recovery and now 10/21, I still have pain and stiffness with every step that I take. I have had 2 second opinions, blood tests, many X-rays, bone scans, physical exams and the Dr’s could not determine any problems.
Yesterday I had appointment with (different surgeon) because right knee now is going to need replacement, I have know this for about 2 years and have done PT and gel shots. But the time for surgery is coming.
After a very brief examination of left TKR, the surgeon said pain and stiffness was due to Flexion and Mid flexion instability??. the only answer was a revision…..I don’t know what to do.
Looked up flexion instability on line, not much information regarding cause?? Any Help/Info would be appreciated.

sistersinhim

Country
I've never heard of flexion instability either. It does sound like you do need a revision, but I think even another opinion is warranted. If you get two that say you need a revision then you probably have your answer.

OP
OP
G

grey j

Country
Hi knee replacement members……has anyone been told that they have Flexion and mid Flexion instability? I had left TKR 12/19 and still have pain and stiffness, 3rd opinion Ortho surgeon, said that I need revision surgery to correct this problem. Appreciate any info. Thanks!

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
@grey j .... this type of instability is something that can occur in some knee patients. It's a complex balancing issue that can require a revision to accurately reposition the implant so the knee functions as it should. If you choose to have a revision, I would consult with a couple more surgeons. You want a VERY experienced revision surgeon who can tell you he has had successes with this type of problem. The reason is there are so many factors that can play into the imbalance, you want someone who knows exactly what to look for and how to deal with what he finds.

In the meantime while you are deciding what to do, I suggest you get an order for some physical therapy. Isometric exercises to strengthen your quad muscles may help. Also, use of a brace might provide some better stability for you. Your surgeon or therapist can guide you toward the proper brace to try, if you want to go that route.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dunfudgin
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom