2019 March Musketeers - Are you having knee surgery in March?

I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all March Musketeers!

musk-2-jpg.18241
musk-1-jpg.18242

Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 March 2019 Tricialen. Bionic
04 March 2019 kimmer11, coffeemom (partial), possum65 (bilateral)
05 March 2019 StephanneW
06 March 2019 JDinCT, tejubeha (partial), Dkm, GramNina, Kctsh2019, JV15 (partial), Kctsh2019
07 March 2019 julie1968, catkin69 (partial), Jolease (revision PKR to TKR), HelloMako (partial), snoots
08 March 2019 robert johnson, Dodger, Kajon
13 March 2019 Stretchy
18 March 2019 Irish471 (partial)
19 March 2019 Bionic, Needknee
20 March 2019 mature mama
21 March 2019 CorpHippie, emOceans
25 March 2019 Cici65, 45acp (bilateral)

I am cancelled for my March 5 surgery due to my wrist being not fully healed
It would be hard to deal with getting around. Now waiting a new date

@Sunnyo, I have removed you from the March surgery list and removed the March surgery date from your signature. Will be looking out for your post regarding your new date.

Bilateral TNR march 25 I know all the info on this site will be great help thank you

march 33.jpg
@45acp, you have been officially added to the March surgery list! You are now officially a March Musketeer!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!

Hello,
I am scheduled to have a patellofemoral knee replacement on March 18. I'm no stranger to knee surgery, but this is my first replacement, so I am not sure what to expect. My last surgery was done on the other leg about 9 years ago. That was a reconstructive surgery that involved a microfracture and an MPFL replacement. The recovery afterwards was very difficult. I had to be non-weight bearing and also had to use the CPM for 8 hours a day for a full month. It was not what I bargained for at all! The surgery was very successful, but it took me about 3 months to finally say I was glad I did it.
I am anticipating the PKR will go much better in terms of recovery given how the other surgery recovery went. This surgery will be on my right leg, however, so I am not sure how long I will be unable to drive. I've been putting off having surgery for about 3 years now. At this point, I just want to get it over with. The surgeon said this could turn into a TKR if he is surprised by something he didn't detect on the MRI or xrays, so I have to be mentally prepared for both. Thursday is my joint replacement class at the hospital and my pre-op appointment with the surgeon. I am praying for a good outcome!

I’m due for TKR on 7th March. I’m 47.

march 3.jpg
@Irish471, you have been officially added to the March surgery list! You are now officially a March Musketeer!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

march 8.jpg
@snoots, you have been officially added to the March surgery list! You are now officially a March Musketeer!

@Irish471 I just had a PFJ replacement last Wednesday. This was the most intense surgery I have had to date and other than a scope, my first knee surgery. My recovery has gone well so far and I can say that I am glad I had the surgery. The pain is a different kind of pain than before the surgery. I was up and walking the morning after surgery and negotiating steps post-op day 2 before they sent me home. I will say the swelling is more than I expected, however, the surgeon was not surprised at the amount of swelling at all. The best advice I can give you at almost a week post-op is do not over do it. My PT has already told me I am pushing myself a little too hard.

@tejubeha, thank you for your update! I'm so glad to hear things went well for you! Yes, the swelling is something that really took me off guard with my previous surgery that included a microfracture. I think any time they mess with the bones, major swelling occurs. My surgeon said I should use the ice machine pretty much 24/7 for the first 4 days, then go to 3 time per day. I did the same thing years ago because having the joint numb from cold worked so much better than the pain meds.
I am still bouncing back in forth in my mind wondering if I should just go with a total replacement. The surgeon said he would be prepared for either option. I'm just so worried that the PFJ replacement won't last as long as a total would. Did you have any of those same concerns?

@Irish471, I do have concerns but we are both young. My surgeon (a Veteran's Affairs Doc) did a scope before my replacement. He stated other than the patella and trochlea, the rest of my knee looked great and he did not think I would need a revision to a total for several years if at all. My thought process is why replace something if it does not need replacing.

@tejubeha, yes, my age is definitely what causes me to really think hard and long about this. I didn't have a scope but the problem I have is nearly identical to the problem I had with my left knee which has become problemmatic again, too. The cortisone shot he gave me last Thursday has mostly worn off. PFJ pain is the worst. There's no getting away from it, even when you sit down to rest. I know this is early, but can you tell if you knee glides smoothly now? I have a lot of crepitus and it drives me nuts. Also, did you have any patellar alignment issues with the knee? Mine is deviated laterally and I really want that issue to be solved along with the pain issues.

@Irish471 My knee is still very swollen but I am able to bend it and I do not feel the crepitus I felt before surgery. I did not have any patella alignment issues. I was in severe pain before the surgery and although I am in pain right now, it is different from before. I also had a cartilage graft on the medial femoral condyle and there is more pain there than before. I have to tell myself “they just drilled a hole in your knee and refilled it!”

march 96.jpg
@possum65, you have been officially added to the March surgery list! You are now officially a March Musketeer!

@bottomshollow

Thanks for joining me to the March list. Surgery on 4 March, bilateral TKJR. Both hips revised, Oct and Nov 2018
Quite surprised at how much harder knees are than hips!! Feeling very tired, don't feel like doing much at all. Patience in short supply!

Last edited:
Left TKR scheduled for March 19, 2019

march 100.jpg
@Needknee, you have been officially added to the March surgery list! You are now officially a March Musketeer!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom