2014 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please add me to your July 2014 Sparklers list. I am having LTKR on July 28th.

I can't figure how to get my date posted.
@bottomshollow will be along to post your date shortly I imagine :) I think we are all a little scared which is only natural. I keep going back and forth between dread and elation. All I know is I'm ready to be pain free after a lot of years of suffering. Good luck!

@SoBlessed When you are logged in, go to the very top of the page. You will see SoBlessed there along with Inbox and Alerts. Click on SoBlessed (or probably you can hover over it if you're using a mouse) and a drop-down menu will appear. Click on Signature, which will bring up a box for you to type your date plus anything else you want to appear automatically in all your messages. When you're done, be sure and click on Save. You can always go back and change things by clicking on Edit. Hope this helps!

Whoops, I was answering a different question! Putting your info in your signature lets everyone reading your messages know what surgeries you have had and what is scheduled.

@gr82cu2 I think it would take a lot more than Klonopin to get me to elation! Can't imagine. Cherish those elated moments! :flwrysmile:

I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all July Sparklers!

july-sparklers-jpg.21676

Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 July 14 @Boxwood (bilateral)
02 July14 @wnygal, @mdyou (her first)
03 July 14 @71Beetle (her second)
07 July 14 @knees (her first)
08 July 14 @Roselover, @mark2667 (bilateral), @dressagequeen, @Bigededdies
09 July 14 @madinana, @bichonmom (her second)
10 July 14 @vma, @Snooz
14 July 14 @Monah, @Betsy-Knees-7-2014, @doingmykneenext, @Gamma LLM, @DCgirl, @2stooges (her first)
15 July 14@ jsm, @kdennis
16 July 14 @Pipt (her second), @Lu.winslow (bilateral), @Reebok, @lumix (revision-partial to total), @Rockstar (bilateral), @2newknees (her second)
17 July 14 @bball78 (her second), @marmora
18 July 14 @CustomTKR, @harleysbud
21 July 14 @DianeJ, @Dosbichons, @Crazy Cats (her first partial), @Epic_Ed (bilateral partials), @Caloparker (her second)
22 July 14 @thequiltermom
23 July 14 @Racey60, @yorkhannah
24 July 14 , @Anothertexan
25 July 14 @scstampin, @abe faxman
28 July 14 @samatney, @meechmom, @Daystar, @Iansmom, @GHealy, @SoBlessed
29 July 14 @gr82cu2, @ConnieJOS, @Foxsea
30 July 14 @dovemck
31 July 14 @Krynn49 (her second), @sjnyc323 (revision)

I think it would take a lot more than Klonopin to get me to elation! Can't imagine. Cherish those elated moments!

Well, elation might have been a bit strong of a word. I should have had this done a year ago to be honest. Last spring/summer I was laid up first with my neck (excruciating pain for 3 months....nerve pain from degenerative disc disease) and then tore my right meniscus and about the time that was feeling a wee bit better my left knew blew up. So, I spent 3 months barely leaving my recliner and never sleeping in my bed. I just needed to get out of pain for the time being so I elected to have cortisone shots and put off surgery. The cortisone shots no longer give me relief so it's time to go. Out with the old, in with the new! I know this will be a painful and long recovery but at least eventually things will get sorted out and with any luck the pain will leave for good. I'm very happy about that.

@gr82cu2 it does sound like you have been through the wringer as far as pain goes. I hope you get a lot of relief from your procedure.

Hi all,
Question…as a result of my bad knee, over time I've gained weight 10-15 lbs probably. How likely is it that I'll be able to lose this weight and how long will it take? Can I expect to lose any weight the first month…or second…or third? I know everyone moves along at their own pace but just wondered what you all might think about this. Thanks so much. What a great forum! Foxsea

Chances are excellent that you will be able to lose the excess weight you have gained. Of course, you'll need to get through recovery (which can be 6 months or more before you're ready to do some serious exercising), but then you will probably naturally be more active because your knee won't be holding you back! You may also have some initial weight loss following surgery because most of us don't resume normal eating habits right away. It's a good time to take stock of your eating pattern and start practice a more healthy lifestyle.

You may want to check out some of Poppet's information on nutrition. There are suggestions for both pre-surgery and recovery in her nutrition forum in the BoneSmart Library.

@Daystar -- I got my marching orders today. I have to be at the hospital at 6:15 am on Tuesday, July 29th. Evidently I'm the first operation my surgeon is doing that day. I've been keeping as busy as my knee allows. Making soups today - turning my living room into a bedroom yesterday and had three grab bars installed in the bathtub area. Still have many more things on my list to do though. It's becoming really REAL!! How are you doing? Foxsea

@Foxsea I got my times yesterday. Surgery is at 12:15. Be at hospital at 10:15. Clear liquids allowed until 8:15. I have a list of things to do today and tomorrow. Nothing as major as you are doing,though! Make some anti-constipation muffins to take to the hospital and some other constipation recipes I copied off BS. I want to make a folder of instructions for my husband so I don't have to try and remember what I want him to do next week. I want him to know what my basic plans are re exercise, rest, etc. He will not be with me when I go in for the surgery on Monday as he is working that day. He has a week off after that. I'll have to drive myself to the hospital and register myself, etc. He works at the same hospital but will be in the lab. He rides his bike to work (5miles), so he'll put his bike in the car when he goes home Monday night. He isn't done with work until 3:30. I don't know if I'll be in my room by then or not. Anyway, yes it is definitely coming! It's gonna be great, right? Hahaha!

I've had a change in my schedule. I will no longer be a July Sparkler and will be going over to the August group. I'll be watching how all the Sparklers are doing and anxious to hear how things are going post-op.
Martha

Thanks, @ATPlus, for the heads up. I'll take you off the July list and put you on the August list.

Thanks to gr8cu2, Daystar, and bottomshollow. Since joining I have been to the eye doctor because of some flashes of light in my upper left eye. I was worried I would not be able to have my surgery Monday, July 28th. These "arcs" are not unusual in older people and unless I have other related symptoms and many more arcs more frequently I should be okay. But being a worrier I am not only worried about having the surgery, but also the possibility of something coming up to prevent my surgery. True worriers don't have to search far to find things to worry about. So if all goes as planned I will start my post-op tomorrow or Tuesday. But I would like all the people with upcoming surgeries to know that I will be praying for them and wishing them great recoveries. And I I will have special thoughts for those having surgery July 28th. I have a wonderful life now but a couple trips to the other side could make it even better. Blessings to all and good luck!

Hi July! I joined the forum a week or two ago and my surgery was scheduled for August 6th but got the call today and it's been moved forward a week, so now I'm a July kinda gal!

@samatney @meechmom @Iansmom @GHealy @SoBlessed Well, the day is finally here for us! Somehow I thought it would never come. I have a few hours to wait before I go to the hospital and I'm thinking about all of you and that we are going through the same thing together. Let's hold hands. :friends:

@gr82cu2 @ConnieJOS @Foxsea One more day to wait for you guys. I'm thinking about you now while I still can. Haha, joke! I hope. Wishing you all the best.

I am having a revision on my 19 year old total knee replacement left knee on July 31, 2014

Suzanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member