BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

20 Days Out....A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by hoosier78, Aug 4, 2018.

1. hoosier78

hoosier78 new member

United States United States
    Hi all. I am now 20 days from my right THR. Labs have come back fine and next Wednesday I have visit with my primary for my pre-op physical and Thursday I have the pre-op consult with my surgeon.

I am curious - I was diagnosed May 2015. Back then there was little pain and I was sure I had pulled a muscle. Now, 3 years later, the pain is worse than ever. Walking from bus stop to my office is a mess. Walking from my desk to the restroom or break room is a nasty scene as I hobble along. Finally, on Friday I asked my primary if he could prescribe something stronger than Mobic or Ibuprofen. He said he could but preferred I consult my surgeon first since I'm so close to my surgery.

Does anyone think I should pursue this or suck it up for 20 more days?

Also I wonder sometimes, my exercise almost down to zero (except for mowing the lawn if that counts) should I force myself down to the basement to do some TRX? Will that screw my hip up more? Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @hoosier78 Welcome to BoneSmart!
    The problem is that some surgeons require you to get off any pain killers before the op. If you start now you may have to stop them fairly quickly. I would just limit your activity until your op.
    No! I forced myself to be in the gym nearly everyday pre-op. Very controlled exercise but daily. My hip collapsed before the surgery. Believe me, you don't want that pain. Baby that hip for now. Only days until your op! Then let that hip recover and you will be back doing what you love.

3. Bionic

Bionic junior member

I agree with Jaycey. I was in lots of pain before my op, going up and downstairs on my backside, but knowing they don't like you to take much in the way of meds beforehand I held off telling myself it wopulent be for long.

I was doing very gentle exercises beforehand, just buttock squeezing, lying on my back and tightening the thigh muscle etc. Because of the pain I had been i had done very little for a few months pre op so was keen to give my muscles a little boost.

The good news is that as soon as the op was done, all that pain that kept me awake each night has gone. Of course it's major surgery so expect to be in discomfort from it but once it's over you can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck with your op

4. dlp

dlp member

I'll be the opposing voice regarding meds and say that you should absolutely ask and see what your options might be. 3 weeks is a long time. For my first THR, I was getting very little sleep at night, and daytime pain was definitely not fun. My surgeon prescribed a small amount of Norco to help me out in the weeks up to surgery. It didn't kill the pain, but took the edge off and allowed to me at least be a little better rested and less stressed out leading up to the procedure.

Agree on the exercise part though, especially since you are asking about meds to relieve the pain. Working that hip will just make it worse.

Good luck!

5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

If you work on anything...work on your upper body.
    That will help with getting yourself up or repositioning AND with walking aids.
    I would drop the NSAIDS...ibuprofen.
    There are studies that show it can inhibit bone growth.
    I preferred to get it or of my system.
    I found that pain meds of any sort for severe OA pain were, as dlp, only good for maybe taking the edge off...and by the time I was close to surgery...that didn't even help.
    The side effects weren't worth it to me.
    I was sleep deprived, frustrated and hurting.
    All the more ready to get those hips replaced and get true relief.
    Glad it is less than a month away, but get that it can be a long time when you are hurting!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

I'm the suck it up guy, sorry. I would do the exercises that your OS wants for post op. One that is needed is the upper body so you can get in and out of chairs and bed.

7. Alitm

Alitm member

Canada Canada
    Hello @hoosier78, I am six weeks out from bilateral THR surgery. I am doing upper body, and staying with my AM stretches and exercises that keep my back and core sorted. Doing gentle somatic yoga stretches for hip flexors (as long as they don't hurt) and what are known as "windshield" wipers, again if they don't hurt. I have three horses to take care of, muck out, turn out (walking across uneven pasture is brutal), exercise from the ground, and the going is slow. I have stopped going to regular yoga and pilates as it is too painful...but is emotionally hard to give up. Some folks have said, "Oh you should train MORE for your bilat surgery". If I do that and my hips fail, I'm hooped. Listen to @Jaycey, she knows the hip failure pain...I don't think we want to go there! I am taking Tylenol daily, as well as Meloxicam (NSAIDS class), but am seriously thinking about dropping the NSAIDS due to what I'm reading (research based) about how it retards bone growth. I will use a cane, or crutches, to help my right hip (seems to be the more painful at the moment) in particular, if it comes to that pre-surgery. Walking aids are something to consider to help your hip, and are non-invasive I take the elevator now, instead of the stairs, and park closer to the store etc., when I used to do the complete opposite prior to hip pain! I understand the desire to be as fit as possible going into surgery, but you need to get there too. Do whatever it takes to get to surgery with out hip failure, as long as it is cleared by your OS. Good luck and know you are not alone :SUNsmile:

8. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Well to start with, there IS nothing that will deal with arthritis pain. I've often said - whoever manages to develop such a drug will be in line for a Nobel Prize for services to humanity!
    Yep, it will screw your hip up a treat. If you want to know what pain really is, try it!

• Like Like x 1
  9. LuvDisney

LuvDisney junior member

No NSAIDS for 7-10 days before surgery. I was told only Tylenol. I was never told no alcohol prior to surgery so I used some wine in the evenings to help me out. My bleeding was very little and no anesthesia complications. I did not drink anything the day before surgery.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. hoosier78

hoosier78 new member

Thanks everyone for thoughts and advice. I saw my primary today. Before arriving, I called the surgeon who said like LuvDisney said, no NSID but pain med was fine. Doctor gave me a prescription for Norco 5/325 but pharmacy would only fill 14. Says "plan limits" LOL. 14 for now is fine I just need a few days relief and to take the "edge" off (yesterday was killer) but my concern is post-surgery. Do they expect me to use Tylenol or Advil? I have a call into insurance to explain. I will work on upper body strength and stay away from squats. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Tomorrow I meet the surgeon. I'll update you all as this is becoming "more real" every day. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  11. dlp

dlp member

I would imagine you'll get a prescription for more Norco, or perhaps Percoset. But the real problem is that different insurance companies and plans all have their own rules. A lot of the controls put in place to deal with the opioid epidemic actually tend to impact people like us who aren't as mobile, and need to rely on others to get around and help out.

I've been lucky with my insurance plan. I was prescribed percoset initially, but it would have me sweating like I just ran a marathon. They called in another prescription for Norco just a week later, and that's been a lot better. Sometimes feel warm, but nothing like with percoset. The weird thing is that I didn't have that reaction after my first THR, so not sure what about me (or the drug formulation - since it's a different manufacturer than last time) has changed to make this happen this time. The wonders of the human body, I suppose.

Good luck with the surgeon visit, and the surgery. Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. hellysully

hellysully new member

@hoosier78 try celecoxcib and maybe try to just move less? That’s what I’m doing. I have just over a week to go and I’m reduced from an avid hiker to a person who doesn’t really like to walk much right now. Talk to your doctor about options. She/ he will be the best to advise you. And, all the best.

13. hoosier78

hoosier78 new member

Hi @hellysully - is celecoxcib an NSID? If so, I can't take :( and @Josephine , you were correct in "there IS nothing that will deal with arthritis pain". The Norco isn't helping at all - just making me not complain about the pain as much. And @dlp I believe you are spot on. I made mistake a few years ago of watching every episode of "Intervention" and add to the fact I used to work in legal dealing with big pharma, I almost felt guilty even asking for something for the pain yesterday.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  14. dlp

dlp member

It helped me get a few hours of sleep, but nothing much more than that. But it was a tad more effective than Tylenol. Hope you are at least getting a little rest!

As for feeling guilty, it's more than opioids these days. Can't even get pseudoephedrine without an ID and a signature. Feel like a criminal each time I buy it. :sigh:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. hoosier78

hoosier78 new member

Thanks @dlp I understand. I go thru the same when I get my Claritin-D.....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It's unfortunate that those who have abused drugs (and doctors who have knowingly prescribed medicines irresponsibly) have caused folks who need them to jump through so many hoops.
    I needed my pain medication for over 6 weeks.
    My insurance and OS required 7 day prescriptions and they had to be hand written and hand delivered to pharmacy.
    A short form signed by my husband and I allowed him to do this for me.
    Yes, I had to call office and ask for renewed meds, but they readily complied and though a bit unhandy, I got them with no problems. The one time there was a hold up on insurance approval at two weeks out...I paid for it myself. Under 20 dollars.

• Like Like x 1
  17. hoosier78

hoosier78 new member

I had my pre-op meeting last Thursday with the surgeon and staff and I am feeling good about having it done at this particular facility. I am starting to get minor heebie geebies regarding epidurals, IV's and catheters. They say the day of the surgery if I start getting scared they'll give me something to "calm me down". Anyone know what that might be or how much it might calm me down?

18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Take it, it definitely takes the edge off.
    Every medical professional you'll deal that day is aware it's an anxious time and will do everything they can to make you comfortable. The time moves quickly as they prep you, engage in conversation, ask you questions. You will probably see your OS and the anesthesiologist beforehand. You'll have family or a friend with you in the room until they take you to the OR. You'll wake in disbelief it's already over. The time leading up to surgery is the worst.

Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you await the 24th. Stop by often we'll be here if you need us.
    @hoosier78

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. dlp

dlp member

Not sure how it will go for you, but for both surgeries the anesthesiologist called me the night before to confirm things, and discuss what was going to happen. If that isn't part of the plan for you, make sure to reach out to your surgeon's office ahead of time if it helps you feel better getting an answer to your questions.

20. hoosier78

hoosier78 new member

Thanks @Layla and @dlp I'm sitting here drinking my coffee thinking a week from now I will be preparing for discharge with my new hip. Can't wait to begin living the good life again....

• Like Like x 2