TKR 2 years on

Paul d b

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi this is my first time on the forum,
I had a tkr left leg ,2 and a half years ago
And been brilliant up to now ,the last 3 weekends I've been standing on a ladder for quite a long periods of time painting my windows ,and now been suffering with aches around the back of my knee and clicking and clunking noices while I walk,just worried that my replacement may have moved,hope someone can help.
Paul d b

:welome: to BoneSmart. You won't have moved it, 99.99%. It's soft tissue reacting to extended use. Just relax, wait 2 weeks, you'll be fine :) :-) (:

Last edited:
Hello @Paul d b - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement, so we can make a signature for you? That way we'll be able to see when you had your surgery, without having to keep flicking back to your first post.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Roy Gardiner is right. It's probably all soft tissue tiredness, caused by an unusual and somewhat stressful activity for your knees. Those knee replacements are pretty tough and you're not likely to have caused any damage to yours.

Some knee replacements do make noises from time to time. This should settle down as well.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Without realising it, you've been protective of your knee, then whenever you do something new, it complains.
No problem, no stress.
I think if your prosthesis had moved, you would be rolling around on the floor in a state of distress.

Many thanks for all your input,its actually feeling a bit better to day,it helps to talk,
Hi celle ,my OP was February 2017,again many thanks.

Hi ,me again ,knee now has a dull ache which is waking me up the last two nights and when I turn in bed it clunks and cracks seems better
When I move on it ,could be tendinitis, should i keep icing it? Many thanks Paul.

Yes, you should keep icing your knee. Have you tried taking paracetamol for your knee discomfort at night.

Hi pumpkin, thanks for the reply,I've been taking ibuprofen and I will continue to ice,
And another thing I forgot to mention in my earlier posts I've been getting bad cramps on inside of thigh just above the knee.
Again many thank ,and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Paul d b

Hi what could be causing the dull ache
Right behind the knee ,I would not have thought that there could be anything to hurt,
Sorry for keep posting starting to worry me now .

Probably over use or doing something in a position that you haven't done in a long while, knees can be very temperamental, I would follow Pumpkin advice, rest, elevate and plenty of ice. Take Iberbrufen if really painful and if all else fails just for extra reassurance contact your doctor.
My knee clicks and clunks frequently, I mainly try to ignore it, I think its her way of saying hello lol.

Right behind the knee ,I would not have thought that there could be anything to hurt,
The back of the knee is known as Tiger Country, most of our nerves, blood vessels, lymph run behind your knee. You also have a bursa the bakers cyst for overflow synovial fluid from the knee. if it becomes swollen, you will have some discomfort behind your knee.
Be sure to ice the back of your knee.

Thanks again for all your advise, it does help to put your mind at rest, last night I was laying in bed thinking, that's it, knee's given up on me, got to have another OP more time off work, but now thinking about it, I feel a bit selfish, there are a lot of people worse off than me at this time.

It’s not selfish to worry about a knee replacement when you have an issue come up. Just because there are people with worse issues doesn’t make yours any less painful.

Try to take it easy for a bit and give it time and see if it settles down.

hi everyone ,after taking your all your advice ,knee pain has gone ,no pain during the day ,just a dull ache in the morning and still clicking , which isnt a problem ,is there any leg strengthening exercises
i can do to protect knee, its been 3 yrs since op. .many thanks to all

hi, hope you all keeping well, its been 3 weeks since i last posted, my knee is still clicking when i walk and when i turn in bed ,and feels a bit tight
ive heard it can do from time to time , but its been 4 wks now ,and ive started to get a ache under my knee cap ,many thanks .paul d b

,is there any leg strengthening exercises
i can do to protect knee, its been 3 yrs since op. .many thanks to all
I'm going to ask @Pumpkln if she can suggest some exercises that won't make your knee start hurting again.

Paul d b,
You seem to be having a lot of new symptoms, have you seen your surgeon?

You can do a few exercises in bed such as gluteal sets (squeeze your rear), ankle pump, and ankle circles 5-10x, start slow and see how your knee reacts.
You can also do a few standing exercises, once you are comfortable with exercises in bed.
At a counter, hip abduction (leg to the side), hip flexion (leg forward), hip extension (leg back), and heel raises. 5-10x again start slow.

No I haven't seen surgeon yet ,but if this Carries on i will have to ,just hard to get a doctor's appointment at the moment, I will
Try the exercises you mentioned thank you for your time much appreciated. Paul

Hi all, I've been doing the exercises pumpkin
Suggested even doing the ankle pumps and ankle circles straight legged in bed ,makes a click clunk around back of knee ,could that be tendons or new joint making noise?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom