2 Weeks to go

susie2f

Country
United States United States
I’m excited and a bit nervous about surgery in two weeks. But, I’m so limited, and in so much pain after little exercise that I know I’ve made the right decision.

I’m still getting my house ready, cleaned, organized. I’ve prepared lots of meals ahead of time so that will help. My husband barely cooks, though a grandson or two will be over some days to help too.

I’ve been reading posts on the other side and am encouraged that I can get through all of this too. Part of me wants to just get it over with, this waiting is hard to.

Finally appointments this week, yesterday blood work, tomorrow checkup with orthopedic surgeons office, and Thursday I’m meeting the anesthesiologist. It makes it all feel so real now. Hopefully my doctor will agree to do my other knee in 4-6 weeks. As bad as my left knee is, my right knee has been really bothering me too. So I really don’t have a good leg to stand on....

I’m doing my exercises on both knees daily so hopefully that’ll help me in the long run.

Now to get my puppy used to my walker and all, she’s still right next to me checking it out. I told hubby that she will need to be in her kennel when I’m home alone. The last thing I need is another fall.

Soon to be on the other side, Susie

Hi Susie.
I found my boisterous and much loved Springer Spaniel was a pain post op. She wanted to help! Shutting her away was the only sensible thing to do because she is intent on loving us.
Re surgery for your other knee in 4-6weeks. Thats a tough one. People will have differing opinions. Ive had 2 replacements but not a BTKR. I dont think my new knee would have been happy with increased pressure at 4 weeks post op even though it was fabulous. Its a couple of years since my first replacement. As it healed it had to handle my dodgy second knee. I think, in hindsight a BTKR would have been better for me. I am 4 months post op with knee no 2 and both knees are happy and pain free. I needed knee no 1 to be healed well before my second surgery but left it longer than planned due to a medical problem and work pressures. Good luck with your decisions.

I found staying busy in the weeks and days leading up to surgery was good for me, so I worked right up until the day before. TKR was my very first surgery so I was petrified!

Hey @susie2f! We have a lot in common. I was so wired before surgery that my pre-surgery thread was titled "bad at waiting" lol. You'll get there and everything you're doing now while you fidget and wait will pay off after.

I also have 2 bad knees. My surgeon didn't consider a bi-lateral for me, but after discussion I'm on the books to have the other knee replaced on Sept 4. I asked him about when most patients feel that they can do whatever they need to do and he said about 6 weeks, so we went 8. The more I learn here at bonesmart the more I think I'm pushing it even then, but there are other reasons, like getting both knees done in this calendar year when I've already reached maximum insurance out of pocket for the year. You'll definitely want to discuss logistics with your surgeon first before you sent the second surgery.

Another thing to work on as you prepare is your Netflix/Prime/Hulu watchlists. lol. Many of us find we can't focus very well the first few weeks after surgery and we need a lot of distraction. I'm normally a reader, but not right now. I just found a show titled "Corner Gas" on Prime. It's Canadian and won a ton of awards. It's funny, but light and it's been the perfect thing for me.

So last night I dreamt that I was turned into a robot along with my family. It was scary trying to get away from the bad guys who were programming us. Wow, I guess I’m a little more concerned than I thought.

Thanks for the replies and support. I’m definitely ready now, but have to wait 12 1/2 more days, ugh! Maybe I’ll get a little more weight off.

Like luvcats I have an insurance concern too, trying to get expenses in this calendar year. I have a max out of pocket per year and it will save me quite a bit of money, even though I’m still paying a bunch.

I am trying to stay busy as much as possible to get my mind off it all, easier said than done. I read up on TKR everyday, just rechecking all of what’s ahead of me. For me, knowing as much as I can helps me move forward.

Thanks for the posts, I told the ortho assistant today that I don’t plan on having any PT at home. I’ll do the exercises myself and do outpatient PT a few weeks later. She said she’ll still keep it in the plan, but I can cancel if I decide I don’t need in home PT after surgery. It’s harder to get if I cancel it now.

Susie - Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions
Hope everyone is still doing well

Looks like we have the same surgery date, mine is Monday July 22. I'll keep you in my thoughts

So last night I dreamt that I was turned into a robot along with my family. It was scary trying to get away from the bad guys who were programming us. Wow, I guess I’m a little more concerned than I thought.
It is interesting the forms our worries take. Some people worry that their knees will feel artificial but I have to say I don't feel like mine are.

What a very scary dream. Our subconscious is very creative at finding ways to creep us out.

I'm 10 days out and I already know I love the new knee. Or as I think about it, Upgrades! Not so much replacing as refurbishing! I think we even get a new warranty. lol

Hi Susie. I'm getting my right knee replaced in 48 hours! :) I also have to have my left knee done (it isn't as bad as my right knee, but has alignment issues, too). My surgeon is waiting 3 months between knees, so my left knee will be done in October/November time frame. I'm glad to have that amount of time to make sure my right knee can handle the load - especially going up and down stairs. For almost 10 years, now, I've been going down stairs one at a time on my left knee, b/c the right one is so bad. I'm going to have to take a deep breath after my surgery and initial rehab period to trust my right knee to go down stairs normally - that will be a big day and victory!

take care

I had my knees done 12 weeks apart, and I thought it was perfect. By week 10-11 you should be doing well. My first knee felt strong enough to handle the extra weight, and it did.
Good luck it is a long road, but so worth it.

Thanks everyone for all your encouraging words.

Hopefully this old girl will get through all this with a smile on my face after some time. Just the thought of one day walking up and down stairs normally sounds wonderful. I’ve missed out on lots of family reunion activities through the years with these beat up knees. I’ve put it off long enough, and once I get my second knee done this fall I’ll be on the road to recovery.

Less than a week to go, last minute cleaning and prepping the house. Just a few more things to cook and freeze. I’m ready to face my future...

Last edited:
Hi @susie2f! We’re apparently new knee buddies, i had mine done on the 22nd too. I hope your surgery was nice and smooth. I was doing great until i realized the anesthesia had worn off and now I’m feeling more pain. I’m trying to take it easy. I took a shower today and that helped (but was exhausting). Sending good vibes to you and hopefully you’re feeling ok!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom