BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

2 weeks to go

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by OJ2, Jul 27, 2017.

1. OJ2

OJ2 Junior Member

United States United States
    I may be one of the lucky ones. I have had 6 months to prepare for my LTKR. But that has also given me lots of time to worry and be anxious. My emotions have been all over the place. I don't want this surgery. I want it right now. I am going to be in a lot of pain. I am going to rock this thing. I hate hospitals. I hate being waited on. I can do this. I can't do this. This is a big thing. This is very common etc.

Tomorrow I go for my hospital pre-op visit, which will really make this all seem real. I have been working hard to strengthen my whole body. I have my icing ready to go. I bought a little bell to summons my hubby. I got toilet safety rails and hubby has done a dry run installation so he will have no trouble when the real time comes.

My bedroom is on the main floor so I won't have to worry about stairs. My shower has a built-in bench. My OS gave me all the rx I will need and I have picked those up. My OS gave me signed paperwork to get a temporary handicap sticker for our car, but I am not sure I want to get it (maybe it's just pride). I have made a spreadsheet for hubby to keep track of meds. I am going to make bran muffins this weekend and also buy some prunes. I have made my list of what I am taking to the hospital.

I chose my OS very carefully after months of research. He certainly has done everything and more than I expected. After hubby's out patient back surgery, we had to stop at the pharmacy on the way home to get drugs and that was horrible for him. So glad I was able to get mine beforehand.

Glad I found this website. I know it will be good to be able to talk to people who have gone before, and understand what I am going through. From others, I have been learning to adjust my expectations and goals. My first goals now are to use LOTS of ice, get pain under control, and be able to get myself to the bathroom. I will add goals as I go along. I know I will have problems with patience, but I also know the Bonesmarties are there to encourage me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Tags:
  2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Staff Member Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! You appear to have plundered our Library to the limit, good for you.
    Any questions, that's what we're here for!

• Like Like x 2
  3. OJ2

OJ2 Junior Member

I think most of my questions have been answered by what I have read here on BoneSmart. I have started icing my knee after workouts, as "practice". And yes, I am an over achiever, so I have read a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. nensi

nensi Senior

Belgium Belgium
    I AM impressed @OJ2 ! It certainly sounds like you have this covered. You've hit the nail right on the head, patience is probably the most difficult part of this whole process and the sooner you come to some kind of acceptance that you, OJ2, are not in control of the process, the better !
    I also really trained before my bilat, and while I think that my workouts really helped me, the workout mentality does not apply to recovery. And if you are the type to make logbooks and checklists, you're gonna have to find the right thing to log and list - icing hours for example !
    But the members here are "simply the best", right @Pheebs52 ?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Pheebs52

Pheebs52 Supremo

Absolutely right @nensi!

OJ2, welcome to pre-op! Soon, you'll be in the Upgraded Knee Lounge! Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and recovery.:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I know you've read a lot, but I'm going to give you some more - just so that it is all in one place and handy for reference.
    Pre-op information:
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OJ2

OJ2 Junior Member

Well, @nensi ,I did include icing on my spreadsheet, but I thought it was too corny to say. Hubby thinks I am a bit nuts, but he will do what I say. I do like your note on the workout mentality not being the same as the recovery mentality. I will keep telling myself that over and over. And thank you @Pheebs52 for the encouraging words.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

Yes, your "workout" spreadsheet will consist of things like: Ice, elevate, take pain meds, nap... :)

Re: your mention of the handicapped parking permit--go ahead and use it. Particularly early on it is a great help.
    As you recover you may find you just don't need to use it if you don't have to park far away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree about getting the handicap parking permit. One of the most difficult things initially after a knee replacement is getting into and out of the car. You need plenty of room, so you can open the car door as wide as possible and the handicap parking spaces are usually wider, so that you can do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Canada35

Canada35 Member

Canada Canada
    I agree regarding the handicapped sign. You will appreciate it many times over when you need to be closer and need a wide parking spot to open your doors fully. Mine is a temporary one that is good for my use as a driver or passenger. I carry it with me when I am going to be a passenger in someone else's car. ( Makes me a popular friend when going to a busy restaurant lol!)
    Kick your pride to the curb so you can look after you! There are enough other challenges along this journey!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

It sounds like you're prepared!

Just a warning though, over achievers can have a notoriously difficult time during recovery. However, if you regard icing, elevating, resting and following the activity progression chart as your "work" you'll have an easier time. There will be a time for work outs, but not until months after surgery.

The handicap placard comes in handy when getting in/out of a car with a less than bendy knee. A door that opens the WHOLE way is a necessity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. OJ2

OJ2 Junior Member

Thank you all. On your advice, I have sent in the application for the handicap permit. It should arrive well before I am ready to get out of the house. I went to the hospital pre-op meeting today. We found they have a free valet service for those having surgery, so hubby will be able to enter the hospital with me instead of dropping me off and then trying to find me after he parks. I have requested an early am surgery, which could require me to be there as early as 4 am. But I would rather be able to get there before rush hour traffic. Scheduler told me that so far I am the first on the docket, but that could change. Today I am SO ready to get this over with.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

Fingers crossed you get the early time. I think I had to show up around 5AM but that was better than waiting around all day.

• Like Like x 2
  14. KarriB

I was the first surgery of the day and was so happy I didn't have to sit around thinking about things.

• Like Like x 2
  15. OJ2

OJ2 Junior Member

I have added Senecot and stool softener to my post-surgery daily spread sheet. I have all these things in my head, but given that I may not be able to think clearly, I need to have them written down for hubby. It is very hard for me to relinquish control, but I know I will have to depend on him to make sure I do what I am supposed to do. And writing it all down is the best way for him to know what I want. And if I am comfortable that I have it all written down, I will be able to rest better.

• Like Like x 2
  16. KarriB

I took senecot and colace, the addition of Miralax was what did the trick for me. I ate salad, nuts, apples, drank water, no action. But Miralax got things working.

• Like Like x 2
  17. OJ2

OJ2 Junior Member

I have that in mind as a back-up. It seems to have helped a lot of people. Did you use the powder or tablets?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KarriB

My nurse in rehab suggested Miralax when I hadn't gone in a week. He used powder in a glass of water. It was completely tasteless and worked by that evening. When I came home we hbought some to have on hand. I found the iron pills my OS wanted were harder on my stomach than the oxycodone. Once I stopped those things were much better.

• Like Like x 4
  19. OJ2

OJ2 Junior Member

We did have an experience that was interesting. When I was just over two weeks to go, the hospital called to get me pre-registered. Then I received a letter ( actually two duplicate letters arrived on the same day) from our insurance company saying I was only approved for one night, and oh by the way, the orthopedic hospital I was going to was not a preferred provider and I was going to have to pay a large sum. Hubby called the insurance company and asked why they were even interested in the hospital stay because we have Medicare to cover that. The lady at the insurance company said she had no idea why we got the letter. They have confirmation that Medicare will pick up most of the hospital and they will cover the rest, and yes, the orthopedic hospital is indeed a preferred provider, so everything is fine. So, question everything. I was ready to change my surgery, etc, but dh was calm and knew to call.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. kmak81230

kmak81230 Graduate

Just the additional stress you don't need prior to the surgery. Sounds like you have everything ready to go. Will hope that surgery goes well for you and we'll look forward to welcoming you on the other side. I was one of those overachievers that @KarriB warns about so be careful of overdoing it afterwards. Lots of rest, ice, and elevation in your future :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3