TKR 2 weeks post op - RTKR

my first operated knee doesn't bend enough
Yes, that's not uncommon. But remember, you have another month (at least) and your flexion will continue to improve, making bending for the stairs easier.

We have quite a few members who have had their second knee replaced within a few months of the first. Perhaps one of them will stop by and share their experience.

Thank you. I saw my surgeon today and he has discharged me with the left knee now and so had the physio they are happy that my progress will continue naturally. We haven't booked a date for the 2nd operation yet and will play it by ear but looking to have it done at some point this year.

Hi. 12 weeks today and I have to say progress is going well. I only have one concern. I have an appt with my surgeon tomorrow and we are discussing knee number 2 in March 2023. The concern is going up and down stairs following the second operation.

Going upstairs is not too bad but given when coming down stairs you lead with the operated leg I have tried replicating this now and my first operated knee doesn't bend enough to allow my other foot to go onto the step below.

Anyone had this?

Any ideas?
Have you tried reversing the leg you start off with going down? I have been starting off to go down with the non-operative leg. Have to say that going up is easy and good, but I freeze at the top of a stairway and have to give some thought to which leg I want to lead with to go down. I'll bet four weeks from now will make a big difference for you.
Yes I have tried that the operated leg does not bend enough so my other leg can touch the step which is my concern as coming down I will lead with the 'new' operated leg and the 'old' operated leg is not mobile enough. Hopefully it will improve before the next one.

Update - 12 weeks. Surgeon appointment went well. I had Xrays taken and he is happy with my progress and Xrays are showing a straight knee. I was worried as I had been ill and not able to do any physio all week that I would have gone backwards but all was fine.

I was unsure whether I was ready for op 2 at the minute so we are leaving it open for the moment as he said I will know when I am ready. Part of me wants to get it over with and the other part wants to make sure my first knee is in a good place before having the other one done. We will see - watch this space.

was unsure whether I was ready for op 2 at the minute so we are leaving it open for the moment
That sounds very wise. My joint problems are all on one side and my good side is pretty good thankfully.
I hadn't thought about the issue of coming downstairs if you have to use your first operated leg as your new "good" leg. I am 14 weeks post a PKR and I can still only do a couple of steps going down normally. There is no way I could use my operated leg as my good leg for going downstairs. I know some people have bilateral TKRs and I have utmost respect for their decision. I can see the point of minimising the rehab time. I guess part of the decision also depends on whether you have a house/ flat on one level. I have a lot of stairs and I go up and down a lot.

I live in a 3 floor house with lounge and kitchen on the ground and bedroom at the very top so although I could get around going to the top by sleeping in the middle or even on a recliner sofa in the lounge it is still a consideration. I have had no issues going up and downstairs with this first operation so I have been lucky but it did concern me about the second one. I did find a work around as I can come down holding the handrails and coming down sideways. Fingers crossed by the time I decide to go for op 2 the mobility will be better. Hope you continue with your recuperation @EalingGran

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Sounds like you had a great post op visit. I hope your left knee isn't hindering you too much currently.
Best Wishes as you continue healing and in making a decision when to move forward with, Lefty.
Take Care!
@ProgressAtLast

Thank you. Still feeling stiffness in the operated leg and I have had some niggles with the other knee recently so will have to see how it goes.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
It's not too late to ice and elevate if your op knee is feeling stiff.
I hope, Lefty, behaves until your right knee feels better. Give it time!
@ProgressAtLast

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom