THR 2-weeks into recovery THR

areaj

Country
United States United States
I had my right hip replaced December 20th anterior approach. I had my left one replaced 6 years ago lateral approach.
I was in the hospital 24 hrs and left with stiffness but very little pain. I have had 3 sessions of PT and have my post op appointment with my surgeon tomorrow. Took pain meds for the 1st week but only Tylenol now usually at bed time.

Walking with a cane and started driving already. So far so good:loll:

:welome: Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us.
Do you remember the date of your first THR so it can be added to your signature along with your most recent surgery date?
Please leave the info below.

It sounds as though you're doing really well at a little over two weeks post op.
Following you will find the Recovery Guidelines which contain a lot of information you may find useful as you continue your healing journey.

All the best at your post op appt tomorrow.
Stay in touch, we'd love to follow your progress.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
Hello! I also had my right hip replaced on December 20th (posterior approach) as well as a revision to my left THR (which was 21 years old). I'm shuffling around the house with a cane, and have very little pain. So far so good too!

:wave: @areaj and welcome! Hope your follow up with your OS goes well today. Please stop back and let us know.

You sound to be doing well, please take it slow and easy. I realize this isn't your first rodeo but sometimes selective memory from previous surgery/recovery kicks in. :heehee:

Everything went well with my 1st follow up visit today. :egypdance:
Nurses were impressed on how well I was moving around and walking already. My surgeon says everything looked good and should continue to improve. I will continue to post my progress

Thank you all for the words of encouragement . I plan to stay positive and I realize that recovery is a marathon and not a sprint. I understand that it's important to listen to your body

1 month post op and feeling good. No pain medication at all no more ice. Walking without a cane or any assistance still a slight limp but getting better everyday. Even used the snow blower and shoveled some snow and felt good after. Hopefully continue to feel better everyday:banana-santa:

You shoveled snow one month post op??
You're a beast!
That's incredible!
We only had a few inches last week (which is a lot for NYC) and I made my son do it, I was 4 weeks post of and not interested in snow.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wow...you're an ambitious one. Snow blowing and shoveling already! Please be careful, slipping and falling not allowed. :no-fin:
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Have a great rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@areaj

:snow plough:
I hope it was either a very automatic snowblower, or a light weight one.
Glad to hear you feel better everyday!

I had my last PT yesterday.:banana-santa:. I work in the construction industry where I do a lot of physical labor so my therapist put me through a lot of different related movements , like lifting weighted crates, pushing weighted carts, climbing a ladder etc and I did all these with no problems at all. He was really try to find things I couldn't do. I have my 6 week follow up with my surgeon in a few days, and I think he's going to be very happy with my progress:yahoo: So far so good

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. How was your Six Week follow up a few weeks ago? We'd love to read how you're progressing. Please share if you have time.
Best Wishes for a great weekend!
@areaj

Follow up went great. I am pretty much back to regular activities. I have been shoveling and blowing snow regularly, hiking in the woods in the snow, cutting wood and pretty much anything else I need to do physically. The only thing I noticed which I brought up to my surgeon is that the area around the incision is still a little numb. He says the full feeling should come back in time. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same around their incision and how long before full feeling came back.

Great update @areaj , you really are progressing very well, wow!
I am at almost 8 months post op amd most of my numbness is gone. I still feel itchy, like the nerves are still regenerating but don't really notice numbness.

If I ponder on it, I think it felt more normal to touch at around 6 months.. my other hip- 4 years post op remained numb for a longer period of time, so it is definitely varies from hip to hip.

Great update! Thank you for sharing your progress. :)
Same here in regard to the numbness so you're in good company. It took months before it was completely gone. I felt like up to 9 months, if I recall. Mine was continually shrinking areas of numbness. Numb here, but not there type of sensation in my experience. Try to ignore it and one day you'll most likely realize it's back to normal.
@areaj

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the numbness. I just didn't recall quite the same on my left hip 6 years ago. It could be the location of the incision this time being the anterior approach

Wonderful update....
:snow plough: and
:hiking: at only 2 months out?
Wow!
I had anterior and numbness that at 4 months out felt like might be collateral damage as it was still rather prominent.
Like Layla, the area of numbness got smaller and smaller.
All normal by a year.

Be careful friend...still possible to overdo at this point.
Lots of healing still happening....
Hope your weekend is sweet.:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom