Bilateral TKR 2 TKRs in 2020, problems with 1"+ heels.

Misqueeine1953

Country
United States United States
I had 2 knee replacements in 2020. Each time I went to rehab but developed sepsis. Large blisters it was awful. I still can't wear anything bigger than a 1 inch heel and can't wait to get them off when I get home. Any suggestions?

Taoquest

Country
I had Bilateral TKR almost 7 months ago. I found that my center of gravity had changed. I felt uncomfortable and a little unbalanced with my old shoes or anything with a heel.
Due to my now straight legs, the biggest surprise was my body’s re-alignment.
As part of my re-alignment, the podiatrist recommended I get Altra shoes (0 drop) and Hoka with only a 4% drop. They are comfortable and work for me. I am retired so I live in sneakers. Everything seems interconnected, and I will probably still be seeing new things for many more months.

FCBayern

Staff member since December 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Honduras Honduras
@Misqueeine1953 are you wearing old shoes? Our shoes develop a wear pattern based on the bad gait we had before joint replacement which can cause issues once we're walking correctly again. New shoes may help.

Schaargi

graduate
Country
Hi @Misqueeine1953

Darn, I feel your pain! I'm on my second hip replacement and. Hoping I can get back to wearing cute shoes.

As with everything else in the joint replacement world, I think working up to what you want to do slowly is the key. I agree with FCBayern in that your old shoes probably won't work if you wore them for any length of time.

I'm bracing myself for the possible reality that 2 or 3 inch heels might not be possible, but I'm not willing to let go of that yet...

Freya34

Country
First time I wore boots with a small heel was around month 7 post op... I felt like my legs are going to bend forward and I'm going to fall any minute lol.

Sara61

Staff member since March 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
Sadly I think heels are now a thing of my past, In my twenties, the higher the better, now I live in combat boots in the winter and sneakers in the spring and mostly flip Flops in the summer. My hubby is relieved as at one stage I was a bit like Imelda Marcos :heehee:

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi and Welcome!

Since my partial replacement I have trouble wearing even a “flat”shoe that has even the slightest higher heel than totally flat. Like @Freya34 said, I feel like I’m going to fall forward!

Please tell us your surgery dates, and which knee goes with which date, and we’ll make a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• kneeper
    Staff member since January 2014
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member