2 THR’s and now booked in October for RTKR ...wondering how different it will be ?!

Hoppy Nanny

big-cheese
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone else had two new hips and then move onto TKR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t say I’m looking forward to it [emoji51]

Hello @Hoppy Nanny - and :welome:to the kneesies' side.

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Most people do find that recovery from a knee replacement is harder than recovery from a hip replacement. That's because the knee is a more complicated joint than a hip.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?

However,most people get through it and end up with a much more comfortable knee.

Here's a little bit of pre-op reading for you:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

And this is the approach to recovery that BoneSmart recommends:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks very much @Celle
I’m booked in for RTKR on 14th October..
Will give the reading a go & try to get ready for a October... Im 5 months post my 2nd THR & doing fab... apart from the knee!!![emoji51]

Thank you. I've added your TKR to your signature.

@Hoppy Nanny So sorry you have to go through yet another joint replacement. Yes, they say knees are a more difficult recovery. But no one can predict how you will react to the procedure.

The best advice I can offer is don't push. Never let anyone force your knee. Take is slow and gentle and let that knee recover from the trauma of the procedure just like you did with your hips.

Thanks @Jaycey
I will definitely take your advice & let recovery take its time!

Feeling a bit discouraged as it’s been spinal surgery, 2 THR’s & now this. However, the surgeon was so empathetic so I’ve every confidence in him... half the battle, I think. Will be glad to be free of the knee pain for sure [emoji849]

Thanks again for your continued support hun xxChrissie x[emoji3590]

Me! First hip in 2014; second hip July 2018 & first TKR in August 2018. Happy to answer any questions!

Had my first hip replaced 2008,, 2nd hip replaced 2017. Scheduled for RTKR October 9th. Will be watching this thread closely!

Wow.. thanks @InkedMarie
I will be asking so many questions... you will be fed up with me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]Thanks for taking the time to talk xxx

@pdlinda
We seem to be on same position ...
how do you feel about knee surgery now?
You will be going before me...I’ll keep up with you... we can be knee buddies...
xxxx

@Hoppy Nanny
Yes, we're in the same position so it's a good thing we have support. I'm very happy to be your knee buddy!!'

My last hip in 2017 was after my condition went from minor to acute in a very short time. I had to find an OS who could do the surgery and get the pre-op clinical tests done quickly. I had little to no time to plan for post-op care. I had a housekeeper (that I don't have now) who assisted me; however I didn't think my post-op care was up to par and that was complicated by the fact that my knee started failing the moment they started PT on the operated hip!

I am preparing for post op care and will be taking a pre-op class at the ortho hospital that will be doing the surgery.

Hopefully, things will be easier for me this time with all the planning I'm doing.

Are you doing a lot of planning? My info is that healing from the knee will be a bit more challenging than the hip but I had such a difficult time with the hip (mostly due to the knee failing) I keep telling myself, I'll do fine.

Very grateful we can stay in touch through the process!

@Hoppy Nanny You have been the best hip buddy and transatlantic friend one could hope for. Hoping you find a wonderful knee buddy to share your ride to recovery with. Good luck this week with pre-op. Hope as you move forward you find peace in your decision to get her done! Sending love ❤️ and hugs.

Thanks so much Sarah @Fit4Family
Wouldn’t have got through my THR without your support & friendship ... sharing progress & problems has been so good!
I’m pleased that you are making progress too... I’ll keep in touch for sure... thanks do much..
love Chrissie [emoji8]

Pre op for TKR tomorrow... oh dear... the date is creeping ever nearer...
It’s frustrating as I just feel ‘more normal’ after my THR 6 months ago & here I go again... people keep warning me how painful it is... which I’m trying to ignore...

It is very frustrating to go 'backwards' just as you're feeling good again. I had just gotten really self sufficient and taken back all my usual household tasks the week before I had my second surgery. It is very frustrating to go back to barely managing my own meals again and barely able to sit upright in a chair. sigh. At least all my 'structural' repairs are done now and I can move forward into real health.

Good luck at pre-op tomorrow!

oh thanks so much @luvcats
I was just reading your thread...
Your July & Newbie have been so different ... but my two THR’s were too... 2nd one so much easier!!!

It must have been so difficult to get some independence back & then start all over...I’m following your progress..

At least we can go into next year with our new ‘bits’ without thinking about more surgery...

:wave: My dear Chrissie ... can't believe I have only just found you over here! :doh:

Hope today wet swimmingly .... well, you know what I mean. :heehee:

Sending ...

Hugs & Kisses Ross.jpeg Izzy xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member