Bilateral THR 2 steps forward, 1 back

Gusteenie

Country
Canada Canada
Hello All: I am 5 weeks post-op, bi-lateral, anterior. At week 3 I was walking unaided, on regular, albeit light pain meds. This week has been difficult. Started physio, weak 4. light exercise on recumbent bike, with low resistance. My knee now is screaming. I have read threads about this apparently common problem post-op, but do I stop physio?
(starting today to do water physio - as scars where not sealed enough for water).

How long does this knee pain last. Yes, I have been practicing the RICE protocol, with some relief. I am back on a walker, and greatly discouraged. Yes, I have read the advise of Jo about "let it heal, hips don't need exercise". This depressing part if how weak I am in the legs!!!

Is anyone else still on meds other than tylenol at week 5-6???

Is anyone else still on meds other than tylenol at week 5-6???
Plenty of members are still using walking aids and on meds at only 5 weeks out. Please remember you had 2 major surgeries at once. Five weeks out from a single THR is early days. Five weeks out of BTHR - well you know what I am going to say.

I would stop all that PT and please don't attempt water physio. You are not training for an event. Your hips have been injured - please let them heal. Plenty of time for exercise when the healing is farther along.

Sounds like you have already read our recovery articles but I'll leave them here for you to refer to. I'll also tag my colleague @Mojo333 who also had BTHR anterior to come and chat.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there :wave:
Welcome! Congrats on two new hips. You're a brave one!
I agree with, Jaycey, cut yourself some slack for now. Your body has been through a lot of trauma
and is healing. Help it along, don't hinder it. The pay off will be better in the end.
Read the Activity Progression - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
and use it as a rough gauge for activity. Have faith, you'll get there. This is still the very early days of your recovery in the whole scheme of things.
I hope you have a peaceful day and a lovely weekend!
@Gusteenie

Knee pain is very common and lasts for quite a while. Look at a breakdown of the muscles in the leg. The IT band ends at the knee and will cause a lot of pain. If the PT hurts cut back on it. You will be weak in the legs for some time yet, give it time.

This week has been difficult. Started physio, weak 4. light exercise on recumbent bike, with low resistance. My knee now is screaming. I have read threads about this apparently common problem post-op, but do I stop physio?

Yes.
I dropped PT after two different sessions prior to 4 month mark were obviously not helping and causing setbacks.
Even when I went back...it was for gait training, core strengthening and stretching.
Even then, I refused exercises involving resistance bands or weights. Not helpful.
I also took pain meds well into second month...perhaps less frequently but definitely at night.
I understand you are concerned about your strength...but too much too soon in my opinion. Lots of TLC will get you back on track.
Plenty of time to regain what is lost..I am certainly back to work and life in a big way!
Four month mark was my biggest turnaround...up until then I had to manage my activity carefully and as I was back to work way too early...when home.. I just Had to rest, ice, and elevate in order to counteract the effects.
Keep the faith friend...still Super Early and lots of healing going on!

Hi @Gusteenie ......I could almost have written your post myself! I'm a week ahead (and only one hip) but I am also having knee problems. My first hip was 5 and a bit months previous, so, although that was doing well, it wasn't completely there. My second one seemed to be doing really well initially (the nurse who took my stitches out at 2 wks was really pleased and said I could drive, and the only meds I needed with this one was paracetamol) and felt as if it was progressing faster than the first one did. I don't do physio, only gentle walking (makes me feel very lazy tho!) in line with BS advice.....then around 3 weeks ago it all seemed to get much stiffer and achier, including the knee and the first hip. Don't know if I've inadvertently done something, or I'm being too inactive? Who knows.....assuming it's the old 'soft tissue takes forever to heal' and will have to be patient....have my 7wk check with surgeon on Monday so will run it by him but not expecting much as I don't think it's a bone/prosthetc problem. Hang in there, keep up the icing, and it's reassuring to know that other people have the same problem.......impatience :wink::heehee:

PS still taking regular paracetamol but considering trying the tramadol I used for the first one, and may have to ask son for my crutches back....he borrowed them for a dislocated knee, maybe we can share :rotfl:

All comments do help the mind set. Many thanks.
In hindsight, my post was largely in part to a depressing day overall. (teary really - so unlike me) Family members and friends seem to have scaled back on concern and helpfulness. Hubby is overwhelmed with work project and has not been as attentive. (Already discussed with him). Dreary rainy cold days, housebound takes its toll on keeping positive attitude. busting to get back to my own bed, as I'm still in available hospital bed that allows for hand rails and mechanical repositioning which helps a lot.
I came quickly out of the surgery "gate" and impressed everyone. Doing too much has always been my nemesis. Even before surgery, one never knows that you over-did things until the next day, when you are hobbling.
I have cancelled all appts for physio for next 2 weeks, and am curious about Jaycey"s comment to avoid water therapy. There is such a conflict out there from the "professionals" about encouraging ROM, bringing blood flow, preventing scar tissue, etc. etc. "DO your physio!!!" is the very loud message!
One big concern is that after I plateau'd on week 4, and then started downhill, what can I expect for Month 4? Need MOJO333 on this one. I am expected to pay full payment next week for holiday cruise taking place early february.
Mentioned this to surgeon weeks before operation, and he guaranteed "no problem".. book it. I don't have a follow up with him until MARCH, if you can believe it.
The past 48 hours have been better. The ice and rest helped knee, and at the slightest sign of discomfort, I run to the ice. Long winded... sorry

Hi @Gusteenie
At only six weeks post op, you're still in the early weeks of recovery. I think you're suffering some
Post Op Blues, which is very common.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

I think our loved ones see us making progress and falling into a routine, making it easier for them to give us less attention. You're capable of a lot at this point and shouldn't need that much help from others. People realize this and feel confident in backing off. We long for a return to our routines and normalcy. Our loved ones want the same for us, and themselves. If hubby is overwhelmed with a work project, the more independent you can be, the less stressed you'll all be. Being a caregiver gets tiring for even the best of us.

I'm tagging @Mojo333 to address your question. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to book a cruise as you'll be five months post op by the time you sail. Recovery does take a full year and for some even longer but you should be seeing gradual improvement all along the way. Mojo could best advise on that though, being a bilateral herself.

As far as your bed goes, practice getting in and out of it several times daily. I don't see it as being a challenge at six weeks post op.

In regard to PT, it's a personal choice. Here is the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -

BIG TIP:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

If you have a question for someone in particular, you mentioned Mojo333 and Jaycey, you'll need to tag them to guarantee they see your inquiry. Here's an article on how to tag someone -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...er-how-to-answer-when-someone-tags-you.15223/

I hope some of this info helps. I'm wishing you comfort as you continue to heal. Stop by often. We'll be here to support you in any way we can. You're never alone here.

:wave:Hi. If you lay off the PT , concentrate on slow and easy recovery...I think you will be fine for getting out and having a great trip.
Month four was my biggest turnaround!!:ok:
I know it is confusing about the different views on PT...but I dropped all formal PT as it was putting undo stress on still recovering legs until about 3 months...then I did mostly gait training, stretches, and low key exercises.
This is prime time for cabin fever and post op blues so don't think that these feelings of anxiousness are reserved exclusively for you.:) :-) (:it will keep getting better!
I had a good case of the "is this normal?" around this time.:umm:
You are finally listening to your body, and already seeing some improvement...so try not to worry.
This too shall pass.
:loveshwr:

Last edited:
I've just seen my surgeon (knee prob could be oa 'awakened' by surgery in hip, may settle) and I asked him about exercise, he is in the 'just walk' camp, nothing that can be called 'exercise'. I think the possible problem with anything aquatic is that the water supports you, makes everything feel easier and less painful, therefore more riskof you joining the ODIC (OverDoneItClub.....we all go there at least once, trick is to remember our mistakes :wink:) You're really not very far out from the op....seems like years ago, but recovery is longwinded, and a good start is deceptive....you expect to carry on like that (even second time round.....so much for remembering mistakes :whistle:). Most of these problems clear up given time and TLC.....and it can be a lonely place sometimes when the fussing and concern has died down after the first few days....good job we've got a captive forum to whinge at! Hope you get past this blip soon :yes:

:wave: Please don't fall into the trap of comparing recoveries.
It can be counterproductive to giving ourselves the proper time to heal!
We don't have to have the fastest recovery to have a great outcome!
I went back to work part-time very early on, and I'm certain that it was not the best thing...so I had to work hard to balance out that activity with alot of boooring chilling out.:ice:
Wishing you a good day today!:tada:

am curious about Jaycey"s comment to avoid water therapy
As anny says, it is very easy to over do in water. You are weightless and won't feel the effect right away. Best to stick to walking and then not to excess. Still early days.

:hi: Happy Monday!
Wishing you a great day and wonderful week :SUNsmile:
@Gusteenie

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing? I hope all is well.
Next time you stop by leave an update, we'd love to read about your progress.
Best wishes for a great week!
@Gusteenie

Yes @Gusteenie
Would love to hear how you're doing!

Happy two month Hipversary!:flwrysmile:

Hi to all who are in bi-lateral hip recovery. It has been a journey. I would have a different ache/pain or complaint every week. One issue would resolve itself, another would raise it's head. I am almost 3 months and here's the skinny.....
Im gonna be OKAY!!!! I remember my son broke is leg a few years back and was on crutches for 3.5 months. Here I was after major bi-lateral surgery, wondering why i wasn't skipping by week 10!!!
I went through bursitis of greater trochanter, major re-adjustment of the IT band,causing severe knee pain, adhesion of the scar tissue to the TFL, among others. Your body needs to adjust to the "new normal" of posture, gait and strength.
If i could pass along some tips from my experience:
1. Stretch those hip flexors as much as possible. Sitting will only shorten them and cause trouble. Lie on your tummy, when you are eventually able to, as much as possible.
2. Anything you do... hold your core and perform any task carefully.
3. practice SMALL weight bearing exercises. Transfer weight from one leg to the other, GENTLY, and gradually. Do this many times a day. (stabilize your core)!!!!
3. Find a really good massage therapist. I think is was my saving grace. My therapist was dumbfounded at all the different areas around the hip that were annoyed, inflamed, angry, sensitive.
4. Don't be discourage by friends/family that say "oh, I thought you'd be better by now". You ARE better. Just teenie steps maybe, but look back and there IS a difference. "Speedy recovery is NOT in our vocabulary".
5. Massage your scar tissue as tolerated.

Here endeth the lecture. I am still working slowly at recovery, but my outlook has changed dramatically in the past 5 days alone!!! Cheers to all!

:yes!:And it will keep getting better too.
Great tips and all well worth a slow patient recovery.
What a great holiday season, double hippy pal!:reindeer:

Hi @Gusteenie ......glad to hear you're doing well......there seems to be no way of estimating progress when it goes in fits and starts, I'm impressed with how your doing after the 'both at once' thing. Have a great Christmas and hope it continues to get better and better :thumb:

Find a really good massage therapist. I think is was my saving grace. My therapist was dumbfounded at all the different areas around the hip that were annoyed, inflamed, angry, sensitive.
. I just came back from mine. She is also a Somatic practitioner. It was so great to get the relief for my poor hip flexors and abductor muscles that before surgeries were absolutely ridged from guarding my poor ailing hips! She massaged them and also gave me some very very gentle somatic movements, which will help with relaxing them until our next session. Best investment post op thus far!! Thanks for the encouragement!

Hope you are having a comfortable day . :reindeer:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojo8826
Recent bookmarks
Back