Hip Infection* 2 stage revision with osteotomy

Aura Gypsy

Country
Australia Australia
Hi everyone. I just found out I have a staph infection in my 3 year old THR. I have had ongoing issues with it since then .... so although I’m bummed with the cause... I’m happy it has been discovered and can be healed ☺️. Surgery is on the 14th feb . Seems like a good day . Unfortunately they have to preform an osteotomy.... but apparently it is a better option than other methods. My surgeon is a lovely man and I trust him with my life ☺️...luckily . He told me it’s going to be a years journey ..... with the 2 surgeries, so here we go ☺️. Sending healing vibes to everyone going through these life changes. Light is at the end of it with a better quality of life..... bring it on

Hi, @Aura Gypsy and welcome to BoneSmart. So sorry to hear of your infection and the need for more surgery. Am I understanding correctly that your surgeon plans to do both a hip joint revision and an osteotomy? Can you explain the need for both surgeries? And maybe provide some x-rays for us?

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. We're glad you joined us!
I'm sorry you're experiencing infection and all that it involves. I'm sure it's comforting to trust and feel you're in good hands with your surgeon.

We'll be here to follow your journey offering support and encouragement along the way, so please stay in touch. Wishing you comfort as you begin the process next Friday.
Hugs :console2:
@Aura Gypsy

I am sorry you have a long path ahead of you but it is so good that they found the source of your problems. Having a good surgeon and trusting his advice is so important. I feel the same about my surgeon. Keep us posted on your journey and we are here to of

@Aura Gypsy - I've moved your thread to the Hip Surgery Recovery Area, since your revision surgery is soon.
I'm sorry you're going through this.

Please will you tell us the full date of your original hip replacement, when the infection was discovered, and which hip it is. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Are you on antibiotics, and is your surgeon going to ask an Infectious Diseases doctor to join the team looking after you? It's a good idea to have an ID doctor on the team as well.

Hi @Jamie. . Good morning from Australia.

I’m a newbe to forums and was just wondering if my earlier responses to your questions were received ? Do I need to repost them here ? Thank you

I don't see your answers here, @Aura Gypsy . Where did you post them?

Please re-post them here, as we need to keep all your information in this one thread.

Hi @Celle ,
The surgeon does the osteotomy because it is faster, safer and with less bone damage. He needs to do it because the stem has a coating all the way down it. Some stems only have it at the top.

The original left THR was done in March 2017. The infection was finally confirmed only a few weeks ago. I know I have had it since the beginning and feel pretty lucky to have found a good surgeon who investigated thoroughly. The infection is from Staph Lugdunensis.

After a big clean out he is going to put in a spacer, the type will be decided on the day. Unfortunately I have an allergy to nickel so I’m a bit nervous, as it seems all the spacers have some sort of nickel in them. Anywhoo, I’m sure he has a few plans up his sleeve.

There will be an Infectous Disease doctor involved as there will be 6 weeks of IV antibiotics, then 6 months of oral antibiotics.

Fingers crossed by that time the infection has gone and the definitive THR can go ahead.....stage 2.

That will be a great day I’m sure.

Attached are some SPECT scans. 18 months after THR they should appear cold in colour. You can clearly see the infection.
The last 2 images you can see the infection has spread out into surrounding tissue or the bursar. This is where they aspirated and the culture grew the staph bacteria.

Attachments

• ED07CD2F-A488-4AE7-9A5F-85E0E9E4030C.jpeg
    ED07CD2F-A488-4AE7-9A5F-85E0E9E4030C.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 413
  • 8A0B95EC-26CA-4C9E-A6AA-2024425DD734.jpeg
    8A0B95EC-26CA-4C9E-A6AA-2024425DD734.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 403
  • D40F85EE-D6E7-4A8D-91AE-C1B033A65FF4.jpeg
    D40F85EE-D6E7-4A8D-91AE-C1B033A65FF4.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 91189B22-6401-4292-9E35-386619E9C1C6.jpeg
    91189B22-6401-4292-9E35-386619E9C1C6.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 407
  • A9ECEBCB-5136-40DD-B375-E44D0E810AC6.jpeg
    A9ECEBCB-5136-40DD-B375-E44D0E810AC6.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 405
  • C6C79DD0-D652-4341-9644-4B23C08AEA17.jpeg
    C6C79DD0-D652-4341-9644-4B23C08AEA17.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 402
Hello @Aura Gypsy

Welcome! Glad you have joined us from Australia. Wishing you lots of luck on Friday! Really glad you trust your surgeon. Knowing you are in good hands is so comforting.

Hoping everything goes very smoothly and that you are on the road to full recovery very soon. :flwrysmile:

@Aura Gypsy Well, I’m sorry you have the infection and agree with you that it’s good to finally have a diagnosis and to be able to take action.
I’m sure you are grappling with a sense of relief mixed with some worries, too. At least now you have some direction and a plan and that’s a good thing!
Wishing you the very best for Friday!!

Welcome.gif to the forum Aura Gypsy.

I am sorry you are joining under the circumstances you are but I can empathise and there are so many good folk here as support.

I did not know of your infection but on investigation it seems very aggressive and it is good to know you have a knowledgeable team looking after you. I had e-Coli in my hip and down through my thigh but I was successfully treated and my Stage 2 was performed after five months with the spacer and antibiotic tablets. Today is my eleven month anniversary.

I shall be keeping you in my thoughts on Friday.

Best Wishes4.jpeg Izzy xx

@Aura Gypsy I'm sending you good luck and very strong GOOD vibes that all goes well. This forum is so golden I can't begin to tell you the knowledge I've gained by joining and reading & posting here. As just one small example, in your post about the spacer, you mentioned that the spacer apparently has some sort of Nickel in it. My OS had asked me a while back, after I was diagnosed with the infection on my left hip replacement, if I had any known allergies to metals? I was thinking to myself, what a strange question to ask, after already installing the titanium implants. Now though, I understand why he was asking. If I end up needing a spacer, (if my current 6 week course of daily IV antibiotic protocol fails) he needed to know about the allergies because of the Nickel. He didn't say that, but I gathered that from your post. I've been playing guitar for 45 + years and the pinky finger on my fretting hand gets all these little water blisters whenever I play strings that have too much Nickel in them. I told my doctor that and he said that's very useful information. Luckily, these days there are strings that have a coating on them that actually prevents the skin from making actual contact with the metal in the strings.
He also told me that most knee implants have a great deal of Nickel in them, whereas the hip implants have none, these days. He was obviously thinking ahead, just in case I do end up with a spacer.
I wish you a great and successful procedure. Have a great day and thanks for sharing the details about that Nickel in the spacer.

Westy

@auragypsy I am wishing you all the best and good luck! Can I ask you what kind of symptoms you experienced before finding out you had an infection?

Hi everyone,

It’s now day 3/4 after my first stage revision. ✨All went really really well and I seem to be on top of the pain. It’s been a little challenge and a big learning process finding the right balance for the pain. I did have an emotional morning day 2 transitioning from one pain med to another but on track now. I’ve had a couple of big cries which energetically has helped me feel really light.

My movement has been little steps. Because the spacer is made of cement and is tightly in the joint, every time I move I sound like an old creaky boat. It was a bit scary to start off with and I’m still getting use to the sound and stiffness and just what is going to be the new normal for the next 6 months until a definitive hip is put in place. The surgeon seems to think it will get a bit smoother.....I hope so too.

I really appreciate the nurses wanting to get me up and going, but I realise I can only go at my pace and it would seem slow from the outside. It’s so important to listen to my own body. Anyway today I progressed to standing with a few steps on the walker before fainting gracefully into a big chair. I hope to get to the shower one day soon. It’s an awesome and uplifting feeling knowing that your moving forward and achieving small goals. It seems like a more graceful and gentle way to approach the healing process as compared to my usual trying to push it all the time.

@Melina a couple of weeks after the THR in March 2017 I had a little side stumble going to the loo. When I got back into bed it felt as though my wound had opened on the inside and was bleeding inside. I had swelling and redness and was in excruciating pain. In hindsight it would have been better if I had gone to emergency and followed up with the surgeon. I just went to the physio thinking I had pulled muscles. After that 3 month set back I always had this niggling pain in one spot that I thought wasn’t normal. It sometimes felt like I had a low grade fever. I just felt like my general well being wasn’t at its peak and nothing I did helped it. It kinda just got put down to the aging process, menopause and I have a thyroid condition. Sometimes the pain would flare up and it was like I had bursitis in the hip. I would often have swollen glands under my arms. I did have blood tests that showed higher inflammation markers but the dots were never joined together. My new surgeon did a lot of testing and found the issue.

So glad to hear from you! :yes:

I hope to get to the shower one day soon
My aide offered me warmed, disposable body wipes for spot cleaning.

The day I went home the aid offered to get to what I could not get to, for a better body cleansing, before clean clothes went on. They also gave me extra to take home. My aid was very particular. She made sure I used the body wipes and not the regular wipes.

I was able to take a shower on day 4 at home, but with no water directly streaming on the incision site. Every surgeon has different recommendations about this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back