Hip Infection* 2 stage revision with osteotomy

OP
OP
Aura Gypsy

Aura Gypsy

Country
Australia Australia
Thank you for all your support .

@Westy yes I’m sure nickel allergies effect lots of people. I’m just glad I was aware of it before I had my replacement and was able to do allergy tests on prosthetic parts .....info that was important for the surgeon. Your poor little fingers ......ouch !

Didn’t manage a shower or sponge bath today.....maybe tomorrow. My dressing was changed and is looking pretty good. I’ll attach some photos of the spacer soon. At the beginning of my journey I found it really difficult to find info and pics on cement spacers etc so I hope my journey will help someone else as all yours have helped me.

@Celle yes it is somewhat reduced......I’m definitely taking it gentle. I usually show the nurses a quick photo and let them hear the creaky sounds so they don’t try to overdo me ha ha. I wish I could squirt oil into it.

Thanks @Melina and @Izabel

Lots of love

OP
OP
Aura Gypsy

Aura Gypsy

Country
Australia Australia
Cement spacer with antibiotic beads and osteotomy.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:wave: @Aura Gypsy
I know this is quite the journey you have embarked upon...not one we wish for you or anyone.:unsure:

I hope you are doing well.
Sending healing mojo your way. :loveshwr::loveshwr:

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Thinking of you this morning @Aura Gypsy Hoping each day gets a little easier. Glad you have a caring, compassionate team there. We will be here to encourage you and hold your hand through this process.
Wishing you every comfort as you wait to be completely infection free. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Aura Gypsy

Aura Gypsy

Country
Australia Australia
Thank you for your well wishes and support.... and cute emojis.

It’s now day 13 post op and I’m hoping to leave hospital tomorrow and venture home, which I’m excited about.

I did actually think it would have been a faster process, but for me slow and steady has been key.

In the beginning I had a few issues with low blood pressure and fainting when getting up and moving around. The pain was so intense it seemed inevitable. I attempted to tell the nurses and physios of the pain but was continuously pushed, until my blood pressure become so low that the emergency button was pushed and the rapid response team had to deal with the situation. Hence from that day on things slowed up a bit and I was able to go at my own bodies pace.

I have had a little oozing of my incision. To slow it down the doctors took me off the blood thinners for a few days and I have had the pico 7 vacuum negative pressure dressing on which must help it heal faster. I must admit I did get the pump wet in the shower and it broke....but they attached a new one. I had a look at a photo of the incision between dressings and was really impressed with the surgeons handiwork, using a dissolvable one stitch to sew the entire 40 cms. I pray it heals fast.

The PICC line was put in place on my upper arm and I have been having a IV penicillin family antibiotic every 6 hours. I’m pretty sure the ID Doctors are happy with the results so far. They have been pretty thorough with blood testing checking the liver etc for side effects.

I can say I have been really well looked after in the hospital. I actually ended up in my own air tight, bright and spacious room with floor to ceiling windows and air con. In hospital jargon it is called an infectious isolation room and came about because I tested positive to the ESBL bacteria in pre admission tests. Luckily I enjoy quiet time to myself.

So the next adventure continues.........

Sending lots of healing vibes out there into the post op communities.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @Aura Gypsy
It is so good to see your post and I do hope you will be able to go home tomorrow.
Too bad you had to "fall out" in order for them to step back on the activity, but it sounds like they regrouped and have been good to you.
Hope all the major hiccups are behind you now.:ok:
We are all behind you as you step into the next leg of your journey.

Healing hugs coming your way!:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
Glad to hear all is going well and you will be home soon.

I have had the pico 7 vacuum negative pressure dressing on which must help it heal faster.
I had a pico negative pressure dressing for a week and it healed well. I had read it supposedly helps the incision area stay together, too, for a nice result.

Happy journey home!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for updating @Aura Gypsy
I'll bet after 13 days you're ready to fly the coop in favor of your own nest. You'll rest so much easier at home. Safe travels there! We hope you'll continue to share your journey so we can support and encourage you along the way.
Hugs :loveshwr:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Such a good update! I hope there's heaps of good healing going on and it's easy coasting from this point forward.

I loved that you sent healing vibes out to the post op members.. that is so sweet of you and they will return tenfold to you, too!

I hope you do get to get to your home tomorrow.. it will be such a good feeling, won't it?

Please keep us posted.. :praying: :flwrysmile:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Keeping my fingers crossed that they finally spring you tomorrow! :fingersx: Good update, though it just boggles my mind why it takes a patient literally falling out before the nurses and physios take notice. Glad they finally realized they needed to back off and give you time.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Pretty amazing what can be done to the body and the tools and technology available. Your reference to the isolation room brought back memories I had forgotten. It's a little different today but about 45 years ago I was in an isolation room with no contact. I remember they served my meals on paper plates. hospitals were pretty crude back then.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom