Bilateral THR 2 shiny new hips for me

My doctor said they don't really recommend Ted hose any more and i was quite happy. I did have to ask my husband to lotion my legs every day when they were so dry in the first month. He was a sweetheart and did it even though he wasn't sure that was in his job description!

I think Ive got on top of the super dry face. Ive been using an intense hydration face mask every other day before my shower. Legs still dry as my other half has been working very long days this week so leaves the house before Im out of bed and back when Im ready for bed. Its the nature of his job (farm contractor that has to get jobs done before weather turns) and I can only reach just beyond my knees on my own.

Ive been struggling a little bit with my right hip the past few days. This was the most painful hip pre op. Not sure if Ive twisted it a little while asleep? When laid flat on my back and legs straight I can lift my left leg easily but struggle with my right. Its almost like my muscles have switched off? Ive been resting lots, icing lots and keeping on top of my pain meds.

Hi, my fine feathered bilateral buddy:chuckmarch:

I know you can purchase lotion applicators from many places, Amazon being one. Basically it's a wooden handle usually about the length of a shower / bath loofah on a stick, or the length of a back brush you'd use in the shower.
My fellow staffer @Layla purchased one but didn't find it very helpful. It consists of a piece of hard foam on a stick. It allows you to apply the lotion but isn't very effective at helping you get it into your skin....only on top of it.
Ive been struggling a little bit with my right hip the past few days. This was the most painful hip pre op. Not sure if Ive twisted it a little while asleep? When laid flat on my back and legs straight I can lift my left leg easily but struggle with my right. Its almost like my muscles have switched off? Ive been resting lots, icing lots and keeping on top of my pain meds.
My right leg also was the more delinquent child... before and after surgery.:shrug: Maybe it was the "more dominant " one and bore the brunt of my OA causing more damage pre-op? Not sure.
It also seemed it was less cooperative (re, the muscles have switched off)...but the trauma caused by hip replacement and our bodies ability to Protect itself while healing doesn't need us stressing it right now.

I do know that straight leg raises (supine position) really are unhelpful - except maybe to reassure us that nothing is wrong.
All these issues improved slowly but surely which is the Best way to heal, in my opinion.

You are doing fabulous... try not to push too much.
I hope your day is sweet!:flwrysmile:

I had a near disaster yesterday. I was outside and turned too quickly and fell like a sack of spuds landing on my left hip on the concrete. On my own and without a phone on me. I managed to bum shuffle to something that I could lift myself onto. Then shuffled onto something that I could pull myself up with my arms. Im not sure how long it took me to get off the floor. In the meantime my partner had arrived home from work so after calling the hospital where Id had the surgery I was told to get to A and E straight away for an xray. I knew I hadnt dislocated the joint as I could weight bear albeit quite painfully. Xray showed a thin black shadow under the prosthetic stem so hairline fracture was suspected. After 5 hours of studying previous xrays it was decided that the shadow was actually something that was present before the surgery so I could be sent home.
I was so soooooo lucky!!!! Note to self I may be feeling much better and healed but I am still a long way from being such! I am NOT superwoman and need to still be very careful with what I am doing. Back to taking it easy for me :sigh:

@Clarice Thank goodness you are alright! That must have been frightening. :console2:

Dry skin here as well, looked like alligator legs!
I just started using Cetaphil and it works a lot better than the store bought cream I was using after my showers.

So glad all came out in the clear!
I hate that you had to go through the stress of thinking there may have been a fracture.
I had a near fall early days that scared me silly...
Crisis averted.... onward...:friends:

I was indeed scared. The thought of coming so far for potentially nothing was soul destroying. I was so very lucky. Im ok just stiff and bruised. My thoughts of possibly getting back on my horse in a couple of weeks has totally gone out of the window now. Just not worth rushing anything. The horses dont care if they have a bit longer off so Im going to wait and see when I feel strong enough and not put myself under any pressure

So today I went swimming! I loved it! I swam breast stroke as im not very good at front crawl. I found it easier than i ever have before my surgery. I enjoyed the exercise and I also enjoyed the social interaction with other people. So not only was it good for for physical health but also excellent for my mental health (which has taken a bit of a bashing lately) I will try to go a couple of times a week to try build my strength up. Feeling much more positive this evening :yes!:

Good for you, Clarice! Getting back to the things you love. Go slow and enjoy! :swim:
@Clarice

Things are going to keep getting better and better....
Give yourself time to see how much may be too much as it can be easy to overdo in the water...
Seems we never feel it til later on.
I loved getting back to the water after my BTHR!
Hope your week is Sweet!

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Clarice!
I hope you have a nice week and a lovely holiday season.
@Clarice

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks