TKR 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

Woke up this morning, my knee I had done 5.5 months ago, was swollen, I think she was a bit shocked when we did the steps. My new knee 9 weeks is fine who can figure this stuff out?? Back to the ice machine all day

There's no reasoning with the knee. I'm preventative icing right now preparatory to a happy hour outing later on today :fingersx:

I went back, I'd missed your step post. Amazing, up and down 18. Congrats!

@Benay happy hour outing sounds great. I can never get comfortable on restaurant chairs

In the This Old House season that just redid a Belmont, MA house that ends up w I think 8 (!) different flights of stairs, Tommy Silva explains how steps should be measured and built.

When I had the meniscus surgery, our house had a steep stairway to the master bedroom, which I came down the first few times, sitting down. LOL. My cat really thought that was funny.

And Gibbs in NCIS always said, “Stairs up. Elevator down. Knees.”

@winemama I have a funny story for you. :) My husband and I are currently in the process of building a new home. The lot is extremely steep though, and initial excavation for the foundation was troublesome. We were called in to an emergency meeting with the builder a couple of weeks ago to discuss options/alternatives. 3 options were presented:

1) Have a 7-8 ft sub-wall built below the basement. Anyone looking at the back of the house will think it's a 2-story. No walk-out basement though, so getting TO the back yard would be interesting to say the least. :whistle:
2) Take down more trees at the back of the lot, then add 5-6 feet of rocky fill to the back half of the lot, thus building UP the entire lot by 5-6 ft. It will cost $$$ upfront, but it would save us building 2-3 costly retaining walls later.
3) Pick a different floor plan-----a 2 story or a story & a half. :yikes::scare:

Let's just say when I heard #3, all I REALLY heard was "stairs, stairs, and more stairs!" Shawn looked at me, and in unison we both said "NO STAIRS!!! :rotfl:

We went with Option #2, as we knew from the beginning the lot might need work. We'd rather pay $20,000 in the beginning than $40,000-50,000 in soil and retaining walls later. If we had had to pick a different floor plan, we were taking it as a sign from above that this house wasn't meant to be. :angel:

@Rockgirl4 we are in the process of looking to move to a ranch house, both of us do not want steps anymore. I could not imagine building a new home after a TKR. Good luck

I agree! @Rockgirl4, your plans sound wonderful. And you get to design your bathrooms!

When we searched for our present home, we knew we wanted one story. No stairs. Room to walk around indoors.

We also wanted a guest room big enough for a king, w an ensuite bath close to the bed that could be used as a second master should one of us be sick/injured and needed to be very close to the bathroom, or the caretaker needed to sleep in another room to stay healthy (and sane).

We also wanted a master bedroom big enough to have a sitting area and to have a view. If you are confined for awhile, you appreciate these.
And it had to have a private, large yard (when we are healthy, we do not want to see or hear other people, and feel that way x 1000 if not feeling well. Make that x1,000,000.)

And a pool. My knee and shoulder incisions are healed, but the shoulder is still quite vulnerable, and the sprained leg ligament needs a bit more time, as I need to be just a bit steadier to start walking in the pool. And practicing stairs in the water. No swimming yet because of the shoulder.

We were going to have the pool resurfaced next winter (LOL I don’t swim much in the dead of our nippy Florida winter). My husband suggested moving it to now since I couldn’t use it for awhile. Great idea actually as watching it was a diversion for me. Huge additional oversight task for him (but not a surgery recovery topic). Started in June. Just finishing up. Also converted it to saltwater, which is better for our muscles, tendons, skin, etc.

Keep us posted on your plans.

@winemama It's a small world, isn't it??!!! :) I've lived in 4 different parts of the state throughout my 46 yrs, but currently live in southern Jefferson County about 30 minutes south of St. Louis. I grew up in Belton though (35 mins south of Kansas City). I've only been north of Kansas City and through Platte County when traveling or going to ball games in high school.

I also spent 6 years in Rolla for Undergrad/Graduate school. That's where I met my husband (the first day!!! :loveshwr:), and got married.

I was born in Springfield, MO though, and that's where all of my extended family and brother live now. I have loads of aunts/uncles/cousins there, so my parents retired & moved back in 2000. I spent most of the Spring helping my brother move out, as he had lived with them a few years when they needed lots of help, but both are now gone. He actually just moved to Republic once we sold mom's house in April.

So I like to say I'm from all over Missouri, though it's mostly south of Interstate 70. :) My husband and I did spend 3 yrs in Houston, Texas though when we finished graduate school. We were never so happy to leave the near-constant Gulf Coast humidity and return to normal Missouri humidity that has occasional breaks in it.

Last edited:
@marieltha Isn't it nice to be able to find exactly what you want and tailor it to your needs? :) We didn't have too big of a wish list, but what we DID want was simple---a house that heats/cools normally (the 11 yrs in our current home has been a HVAC fiasco), a BEAM built-in vacuum cleaning system (I had one in our Wentzville, MO home and loved how light it was---made cleaning on these knees MUCH easier), plus a master bath where you could sit on the commode and still have room to shut the door (I kid you not!!). We're building it for function more than anything! :)

@winemama Luckily we have another 4-5 months before it's finished, so we haven't even started packing yet. We're hiring movers this time, as my husband runs his own TaeKwonDo school and doesn't want to get injured. He's had 3 torn hamstrings in 4 yrs, and we admit neither of us are getting any younger. We can afford it, so we're doing it!! :) Congratulations on your 10 wks post-op, and I'm so glad things are going well for you.

It is music night!!!!! Tonight is blues, my favorite, going to be some serious chair dancing, 1 dance only tonight. We are lucky around here there are free excellent concerts all summer

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom