TKR 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

I originally planned to do my second 2 months after my first (this coming Monday, in fact), thinking about it similarly to @winemama. But when I realized how much of a burden my time off was going to be for my co-workers and calculated the increased caregiving load for my husband, I canceled the 2nd and will reschedule for Thanksgiving week so that I can recuperate over the end of the year and into early January. I work at a college, so that is a quiet time for everyone. Interestingly, I realized just last week that I was willing to do the 2nd one. Not that I expect the experience to be the same, but just having gone through it this time has relieved so much anticipatory anxiety.

@Rather doing your knee over the holidays is brilliant, gets you out of so much stuff, you can recoup and watch everyone else run around.

• And I plan to tell my family not to buy me anything - already have too much stuff - but instead to cook and clean and make it a great holiday for me to enjoy - how can they refuse?:heehee:
    Do all your shopping on line, as my mom liked to say, “I’m going to sit and hold court “

This rain in Ohio, is making me crazy, my knees hate it

This rain in Ohio, is making me crazy, my knees hate it
It gets better, I promise! Only if an extreme drop in pressure happens does my knee react, and it's only for a couple minutes. The worst time I can remember was when it was -11 degrees outside and I had to shovel some snow so I could get to my outdoor wood burning stove. Virginia normally doesn't get that cold! The cold seemed to have gone all the way into the implant and it hurt like crazy. This was my first winter after the tkr.

That's something to not look forward to, cold implant who knew.

I suppose it depends on your starting point. My old knee hated and damp cold weather. The new knee might be less of a diva once shes properly moved in and settled.

Hope so for you. I never even gave it a thought, but, like measuring the risers, suddenly of great interest.

I so agree with you, I have no desire to eat, read, or even talk to people ( thank goddess for text). I know it will return
I am glad you posted this, I don't want people to come and visit and talk to me either. My sister was here for a couple of hours yesterday and it exhausted me although I was in bed. I think it might be some sort of animal instinct, when wounded we want to be alone "to lick our wounds" Best to you, you are a warrior for going through this twice in this time frame. I am about 2 weeks out with my LTKR and I can't imagine.

I like to have a plan. I dislike chaos. Life gives us so many surprises, that a plan makes me feel a sense of control. I can always change the plan.
In the case of knees/hips/shoulders , I’d rather plan when to fix them before the joints announce it is an emergency.
I planned the knees for 6 months apart, then delayed the second to 12 due to a foot injury. But then I moved the knee back up to 10 1/2 months, in order to have an unanticipated rotator cuff repair surgery 6 weeks after the second knee.
Having 2 of the same joints done close together isn’t as daunting to me (in hindsight) as mixing different joints as I have done.
Maintaining stamina is a bit more challenging of course.
You sound like you have handled yours well.

Last edited:
Tonight was a beautiful night, went and heard some great music, and I got up and danced with my wife. I took my cane, just in case, but got through one song with no problem. Felt good to dance

Knees did not complain to much about dancing last night, going to try again tonight, one of our favorite bands is playing. I’m limiting myself to 2 dances tonight

Well FYI, one dance 2 nights in a row, is all a 9 week knee can handle. They feel ok, but I can see how thought “if I can do 1, why not two”. Icing tomorrow we’ll i watch USA girls soccer final.

@winemama I haven't been keeping up with the recovery threads too well lately, so it's been enjoyable reading through yours. :)

We're also super psyched to watch the Women's World Cup Final tomorrow morning. My husband has to be at church for awhile to set some things up, but he's keeping his phone muted and telling everyone he runs into to NOT mention soccer at all. He doesn't want someone blowing it for him.

I'm glad things are looking up for you too. Dancing 2 nights in a row definitely sounds like a HUGE accomplishment. :)

Today is going to be a sit around and ice day, it is beautiful outside, I hate to be inside, but I know my knees need some TLC from the dancing I skipped icing yesterday, and even at 9 weeks, I try and ice 1-2 hours everyday while watching TV

I iced for 6 months, until the ice pack actually hurt, probably because there wasn’t as much swelling as it felt like.

I did wonder when you said you were going to dance again a second night in a row.

Is there someplace you can sit outside with your leg up while icing? My last house had a beautiful deck that was high and we had lovely trees in the backyard, so the deck only had intermittent sun. The backyard sloped down to a creek then went right up a hill on the other side into the woods. I thought we had the best spot on the block. We loved that deck.

We moved to another state 4 years ago. We do have a back deck now, but it faces the southwest and there is no shade and it’s just too hot and too bright to spend time out there. :bawl:I so miss my woodsy deck.

Last edited:
@Jockette I wish we had a deck or porch, no such luck. I have finally realized my limitations, as much as my mind still says I’m 30. We have a semi busy week coming up, so we are both ok sitting around. I will say my 2 dance’s made my heart happy

I’d never had a deck before that last house we had. It was lovely.

I’m reminded every day that I’m not 30 anymore. :gaah:

I watched the World Cup, and wondered if I ever had knees like these girls

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back