TKR 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

When I had my 2 rotators cuff repairs, my wife did all my therapy, she was excellent, but we are arguing about the knee.
I had a rotator cuff repair as well, so much different from my knee. After being immobilized in a brace for the shoulder range of motion exercises didn't cause me any pain or swelling. By comparison my knee reacts very badly to any kind of physical therapy that isn't very gentle. I've been improving very well following the Bonesmart approach.

I've been doing the Bonesmart way before there was even a Bonesmart. My knee surgeries started in the 1980s, with no PT following any of them. I firmly believe my body knows how to rehab itself without any instructions from anyone but God!

I’m going to be 9 weeks tomorrow, my ROM is still only 96. My PT and I both agree, that the calf muscle and tendon in the back of my knee is still swollen, we are going with the hands on massage, gently stretches and kinesio tape. I’m very happy with way PT is going

I’ve tried going down the steps properly, and I still can’t plant my foot without pain, the pain is not in my knee, it is in the calf and ankle muscle. My OS said this may take 3 months to heal. Other then that, I feel like my knee is healing well

My OS said this may take 3 months to heal.
Your OS is being extremely optimistic. We have found that it normally takes up to a year to heal even though you will feel better much sooner than that.

@winemama , I truly feel your pain of trying to figure out the proper approach to this whole recovery thing, and just what is the "perfect level" of rehabbing but not pushing too much. I'm about 5 1/2 weeks out, and I've been struggling with this so much myself.

I've always been a very grey person; I don't think most things are black and white, and I think recovery from knee replacement falls into that grey area. Some people do better because they didn't push; others end up hobbling around for the rest of their lives because they didn't do enough (I know several of them). There isn't necessarily one right way to approach things. But people have very strong opinions, and oftentimes present them as fact. I think everyone's intention is pure, and they genuinely just want to give you the "right way", so that your recovery and end result will be the best it can be. But I truly believe that there is not just one single right way.

What I find so helpful about Bonesmart is that there are so many people who have been through, or are going through what I'm currently enduring. And there are lots of ideas and information on different options that worked or didn't work - and everyone truly wants to help, which is great. But for every problem that might come up, there's probably several different resolutions, that worked for some and not for others. An overall approach that worked for some, might or might not work for you (whether it be not pushing at all or pushing a lot) because their circumstances most likely are very different from yours - their physical issues can be hugely different, their ability or willingness or tolerance to endure pain or discomfort (pushing to pain does work for some people, but for others it's the worst possible option), their drive and motivation and determination, what their desired end result is (do they hope to be able to walk to the mailbox, or run a marathon), their patience level, etc. What I'm doing is to read as much as I can, consider all options, try the things that make the most sense for my physical circumstances and personality, and then I do what I think will work best for me. None of my decisions are made without a tremendous amount of thought and research, and in the end, whatever choices I make, I feel comfortable with them, because I'm making the most informed decisions based on my body, my mind and my spirit. Most likely someone will think I should have done it differently, but as long as I'm making informed well thought out choices, and adjusting as needed, that's the best I can do.

I honestly am pushing more than the "Bonesmart Way", but I'm pushing much less than I thought I would initially because of all the reading that I've done on Bonesmart. This is working really well for me - but this isn't the answer for everyone, and maybe when I have my other knee done, it won't work for me either - each case is different. I've had conversations with both my family and my PT to help them understand the path I'm taking, but ultimately, I need to make the informed choices that I think are best for me. And these are all a work in progress. As I feel better overall, and the pain is decreasing as my strength, flexibility and ROM are increasing, I'm able to re-evaluate and change my approach based on my new current situation.

I know how much this type of thing has dominated my thoughts, and I wish you the best of luck with your choices.

Glad the muscle pain etc. is improving. It is true for some of us that the muscles, ligaments etc. seem to be as much of an issue as the knee itself. It sounds like the PT may be helping "retrain" things.

None of my decisions are made without a tremendous amount of thought and research, and in the end, whatever choices I make, I feel comfortable with them, because I'm making the most informed decisions based on my body, my mind and my spirit. Most likely someone will think I should have done it differently, but as long as I'm making informed well thought out choices, and adjusting as needed, that's the best I can do.
That's a very sensible approach.

Glad the muscle pain etc. is improving. It is true for some of us that the muscles, ligaments etc. seem to be as much of an issue as the knee itself. It sounds like the PT may be helping "retrain" things.
You are right, the muscle and ankle pain has been worse then the knee itself, at 9 weeks it is the weak part of my leg. I know 3 months is only the start of healing, just hoping it is not on my mind 24/7

Well it keeps getting better and better. I was leaving a store, making a right hand turn, and a man rammed into the back of my car. The gentleman was very upset when he saw my handicap plackard, and I had a cane We did the police report, I came home and called my OS office to let them know, they will call me if he wants to see me. I believe my knees are fine, but my muscles ache and hurt. Going to see my Chiropractor Monday for my neck.

I'm so sorry, what terrible luck. So glad your knees are not damaged. Feel better soon, that was shocking.

Took a long nap this afternoon, when I got up, my legs are pretty stiff, but I believe my knees are fine. I’ll let you all know what morning brings.

Well I don’t sleep very well last night, my legs started aching, and my knees swelled up a bit, but today I rested, iced, walked outside and I don’t believe there is any damage from the accident. I’m still having swelling behind my knee, which is affecting my ROM, and my walking down stairs, any idea how long that type of swelling takes to go down??

I have no idea how long the swelling will take to go down, just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you feel better soon.

I have no idea how long the swelling will take to go down, just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you so much for the kind thoughts. It is day 2 after the accident, my knees are swollen a bit more, I know there is no damage, but the babies got jerked a bit , and it is bringing on swelling. I’ve and elevate on my calendar for today

Today was an Over do it day, up and showered, Dr apt , stop for lunch, Costco, Target, bringing in all the stuff to the house, putting it away. I did all the driving. Took a 1 hour nap. My wife is always supportive, but when I told her how my legs were tired, and both knees warm, she is like, it is 9 weeks, you should be able to do this, and your knees not hurt so much. Kind of took me by surprise. Oh did I mention it is raining. Then I doubt myself

You definitely did too much and I bet the rain added to it. At 2 years post op weather really affects my knee. A lovely side affect as that never happened before surgery.

I’m sorry your wife doesn’t understand TKR. At 3 months and many more months, I felt just like you do, as do many of us. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back