TKR 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

I'm off to Theatre in London on Monday and feeling excited and nervous in similar quantities.

Ok, not too bad from the other nights outing, felt good enough to drive myself to an appointment, and do some grocery shopping yesterday, and PT today. I’m a bit stiff, and my knees are sore, but not hot. I feel like I’m turning a corner. Taking this weekend to ice and elevate

Well being busy for 3 days straight, my knee was stiff when I went to PT. I told him, he was disappointed because my ROM was still at 95 at 8 weeks. Bummer, but I am not worried

I definitely wouldn't worry, I was only at 100 after 12 weeks but I'm at least 120-125 now. Haven't had it officially measured, but basing it on Josephine's diagrams.

I ended up at 115 at the end of 12 weeks with my RTKR, I know it will come I’m at 8 weeks today My knees have been so stiff lately, we have had so much rain

Weather really bothers my knee, and it didn’t before the surgery.

Yesterday was my first big day out. Drove 3 hours round trip, attended a family/Father’s Day party Stayed about 5 hours talking and eating, was a good time. Well Well Well, by the time I got home everything hurt, both knees screaming and hot, hips complaining. I sat and iced, and had to take an Oxy. Thought I was ready. Oy vey

:nah:The overdid it club big time. Hope it's settled down, but glad it was fun while it lasted.

:nah:The overdid it club big time. Hope it's settled down, but glad it was fun while it lasted.
I’m very tired today. We had 2 Dr. appointments, I had to get new brakes on my car. My knees are not happy, they are hot. I see a pain pill and early bedtime tonight

You did a lot on your baby knees. No wonder they are fussing at you. You are doing the right thing resting. Be sure and ice, too.

All I can say this week sucks. Appointments I had to go to, a family party and to top it off my wife somehow got a painful pinched nerve in her foot. So after an extra Dr visit, she is now the proud owner of a boot, and unable to drive. I’m driving all over, and my knees are not happy. Thank goodness we have no where to go for the next 3 days

How dare she get injured at a time like this! Just kidding, I hope her foot settles down and I’m glad you can both stay home for a few days. You’ve been coming along well, you’ll get through this.

I, too, find Bonesmart helpful. I have always been sensitive to weather changes, especially drops in barometric pressure (hereditary osteoarthritis and bursitis). Last year (April 2018), I had a right Partial Knee Replacement. Planned to do the left PKR this May, but then tore a rotator cuff tendon, and had to move the knee up to late March. Had the RCR in late May. So I agree about the cumulative fatigue after surgeries. I also am ultra sensitive now to the drops in pressure, so much so that I started researching online, which is how I found BoneSmart. At my next appt, I asked my ortho surgeon and he said about 40% of people are sensitive to weather changes, but virtually all people who have bone surgery are very sensitive afterwards. Thankfully, he said it decreases over time, but it takes about 2 years. So I have a barometer app as well as weather apps, and when the drops are due/occur, I take pain meds before/as it drops, and I eat non-inflammatory food until the pressure goes back up. Salmon or tuna, but not shellfish or tilapia. (I don’t eat meat or pork ever; might rarely have turkey but only if I need it to increase serotonin. ) Whole grain pasta, but no white pastas. No dairy (a bit of cooked cheese say in pesto sauce is okay). No refined sugar. No nightshade vegetables. I don’t ever eat these either because of my osteoarthritis. White potatoes are the worst for me.
So I believe you are right that the weather affects your knees. Thanks to you and everyone for sharing your experiences.

Also, someone on BoneSmart recommended this for the knee pain in low pressure weather, and it works for me: Simultaneously use Ice on top of the knee ( I use Aircast gravity feed Cryo Cuff ) and a moist heating pad under the knee.
20 minutes on 20 off. I just move the moist heat to the hamstrings or my hips for the 20 off. Thanks to whoever suggested that. Sorry. I didn’t bookmark your entry.

My wife and I got into a tiff, she is an OT, and believes I read too much into BS. She is the work up to the pain, therapist She feels I’m speaking disrespectful about how I want my therapy to my PT. I have been very kind expressing my concerns, and I’m sure his years of training he would understand. He has become very hands on. Thoughts??

There are lots of opinions about this recovery, which means no one right way.

It is your knee, your choice how to do your recovery.

@winemama I don't get into many discussions (if any) with doctors in my family, friends and even with my husband. Just seems so much easier that way. I can read my knee somewhat and I always have the sanity check of this forum and all the others who have gone before me. It's a difficult time and I can only see it would be made worse if I get defensive with those close to me - and can easily see I would, and fast.

When I had my 2 rotators cuff repairs, my wife did all my therapy, she was excellent, but we are arguing about the knee. Oh well I have PT tomorrow, he and I will talk

From what I understand a knee replacement is a whole different ball game from other surgeries.

Many members have done their recovery following the Bonesmart guidelines with excellent results.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back