TKR 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

, I’ve been crying for two days and I’m not a crier.
We have many members tell us this. I think it’s a general reaction to major surgery, or even any surgery.
luckily this is the second go around with my knee so we have an idea of what’s going on but I know how hard it is I’ve never been this miserable in my life
Hang in there, we are all here for you. :console2:

I’m still amazed at the muscle pain in my ankle and calf, I’m ok when I walk, but getting up and down has been hard, I find myself putting all the pressure to stand on the knee I just had done in February. It is holding up well which I’m glad, but now she’s starting to get sore, and I don’t blame her because she’s taking on all the weight. I go to the doctors on Wednesday I know in my heart he’s going to say it’s just gonna take time and I feel OK about that. I have been icing my calf and ankle 2 to 3 hours a day and the rest of the time icing my knee I’m back on the Oxy 2 every six hours and it’s Helping, going to try to sleep

@winemama are you using crutches or a cane? If you aren’t sometimes it is helpful to go back to them for a day or so to truly give everything a rest.

@winemama are you using crutches or a cane? If you aren’t sometimes it is helpful to go back to them for a day or so to truly give everything a rest.
I’m only 17 days post op. Still using the walker, switching to the cane in a few days

Reactions: DLR
Don't switch to the cane until you feel completely ready for it. It's better to keep using the walker than to risk having a fall.

I agree about switching, I’m Only using the cane inside my home, since everything I’m doing is on one floor, and we have a small Bungalo home. I wouldn’t dare go outside without my walker if I was doing anything that was any distance

The doctor was happy today at by three week check up on my left knee, my bend is only at 80, and he was OK with that because of the swelling. He said he had straight to my leg it was bowed and that is what is causing all the muscles down my calf and around my ankle to be hurting they’re just trying to get themselves re-organized. I’m OK with that as long as I know where the pain is coming from . He said give it 3 to 4 more weeks just Ice don’t do anything that hurts, I said I’m treating my knee like a new baby and I’m going to make sure PT does the same thing We talked about pain meds he said keep them up see if I can go to Oxy every eight hours if not go back to what’s good for me he wants me to stay above the pain and with this muscle pain looking at two different things. Overall the exam was good and likes the way my scar is healing and feeling good today

Went to PT today, therapist is figuring out how to work on these painful muscles of the Fibia it’s stopping all other PT which is fine with me. I know it’s gonna take a while, he showed me on the x-rays how much they straighten my leg, so now I know where the pain is coming from. Slow and steady with lots of ice that’s me for the next couple weeks

Reactions: DLR
My wife and I decided with all our research, to be on a schedule for this TKR I believe it has helped. My wife has the meds scheduled like a Swiss train schedule. We are sleeping in separate bedrooms, because we both feel the patient and caregiver need private time. Because we are night owls, we are asleep by 2am, up at 11, brunch, nap 3-7, dinner back to bed. Rinse and repeat. We schedule all appointments around our schedule. It has worked. Lots of rest and icing. We both believe the first 8 weeks are the most important, building a solid foundation.

I’m rounding the bend to my fourth week of my knee replacement the weather is beautiful here in Ohio I have no desire to go outside and get sun, I believe I’m kind of going into my depression I know I am, believe me I don’t want to I’m still having pain because of the straightening of my leg, and all I wanna do is sleep just send me some words to help me get through this week just not feeling well

@winemama i totally understand, I am sitting in the same spot dealing with depression, feeling like hibernating away from everyone. While I don’t have the words to cheer you up, hopefully knowing this too is a normal part of recovery will help. I am pushing myself to take a book and sit outside in the sun. Hang in there we will make it through

:console2:
We’ve all been where you are, we understand. It’s temporary and par for the courses. Hang in there. :console2:

I’m still having pain because of the straightening of my leg, and all I wanna do is sleep just send me some words to help me get through this week just not feeling well
You are going to get through this and things will get better.

I wonder if a short outing would help make you feel a bit brighter? Just a little drive to somewhere quiet, where you can sit and enjoy the sunshine? Or out for a coffee break somewhere you can put your leg up on a seat or a bench?

@winemama I encourage you to get out of the house just for a little bit. My husband drove me around the neighborhood Friday - we were out for maybe 15 minutes - and it was wonderful to feel functional again. The trees are blooming and people were mowing lawns and it perked me up.

Thank you so much, I have a bunch of appointments this week, I’ll be out. I just need to pull my self up, I know this will pass

Tried to go down to 1 oxy every 8 hours, lasted about 24 hours. I don’t want to go back to 2/8, but I’m going to. The pain in my ankles and calf muscle are still at an 8/9. Honestly my bones hurt. I’m only 23 days out. Am I on the right path??

Went to PT today, the pain in my ankle and calf is insane. A 10 all the way. I can stand & walk, no ankle pain, but any gravity pull on the ankle is painful. I honestly can only ride in a car for about 10 minutes He is trying to help, but I am limited. I told him that only time will heal the muscle. My OS showed how much he straightened my leg no wonder it hurt.
I’m trying to cut back on meds right now I’m taking 2 oxy every 8 hours. Any words of encouragement

Question? I am 3.5 weeks Post total knee replacement, what would you say is the amount of walking I should be doing off and on during the day? I walked around Walmart today for about 40 minutes, and at the doctors office, and my knee felt like it was the size of a basketball when I was done, Came home and took a four hour nap

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom