TKR 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

winemama

senior
Country
United States United States
I have been following this thread for months, right after I had my first total knee replacement. I am so glad I found this site, as it helped me with a lot of my fears, and anxieties.

I had my first right knee done February 6 2019, it was rough, but I got through it. I was just starting to feel like my old self turning a corner at 11 weeks, when the doctor decided to do my left today. I had that need done April 26, 2019. What a difference, I forgot how much it hurt. I definitely learned a lot about physical therapy what to do and not to do, and I am doing things differently with thisLeft knee I am taking it slower. Thank you for all the support even though you Didn’t know you were doing it

You’re brave. I’m nearly 4 months in and can’t imagine going through it again so soon! Hang in there!,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@winemama welcome to the site. Sounds like you have already benefited from the information here but don't downplay how much it can help you mentally to come here to vent, cry, whine, or whatever you need to do to people who truly understand what you are going through. We will be here to support you.:flwrysmile:

Welcome to Recovery!

I read posts on here for 4 months before I finally had the nerve to join. I felt like I already knew most of the advisors!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thank you all, what is starting to get to me is the pain, I had three years of shots gel’s PT and then I had my first knee replacement so it’s been a long haul. Also in 16 and 17 I had both my rotator cuff’s done, so I am so over pain I read about the depression and I understand it, but this last new replacement feels like the straw that is going to break the camels back. I’m trying, but it’s hard not to find yourself going down the rabbit hole.

I wrote before, I discovered the weighted blanket, for me, it helped immensely. I bought the 20 lb one, and I sleep great. The weight does not bother by surgical leg at all in fact it feels good I feel like I’m not going to move around much so I sleep better

I'm glad you're sleeping well now. That's a bonus.

Until your pain decreases, go easy on the exercises. Your newest knee only needs a little, gentle exercise such as you get walking around the house. Otherwise, rest, ice, elevate, and take you pain medications on schedule.

Thanks, that is what I am doing. My first TKR is did everything PT said, and felt at times it was way to much. This knee is 9 days out, and I’m still feeling a bit guilty about gentle exercises, but Know it will be much better for me. I know it’s only nine days out, and I feel terrible, actually kind of sad, I knew everything is healing right, but again I’m just tired of the pain

@winemama I am just 9 weeks post bilateral knee replacement surgery, which was done 4 months after both my hips were replaced for the second time. I was OK after the hip surgery, but for 2-3 weeks after the knees I felt really flat and miserable. Just couldn't lift my mood at all, couldn't sleep and felt like I was being sucked under. This improved gradually, to be replaced with frustration at being so tired. At 9 weeks now, and I feel I have turned the corner - still tired, but no pain or swelling - just stiffness. I took a gentle approach to exercise, focusing on heel slides, extension and after a couple of weeks, started with the exercycle daily. No strengthening exercises, I found the stairs inside and outside our house enough. I think that sadness you are feeling is very normal, your body and mind have been through a lot. Just go with it for now, and love yourself.

I know I will start feeling better, I was just starting to feel good when I had to have this second knee replacement. One of the things that’s getting me down also is the fatigue I have the strength of a newborn baby, sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night up for a few hours, and back in for a nap. I am also going to take it very easy with exercise right now I’m just doing floor slides little bit of movement stretching my leg as easy as I can, nothing that is causing me any pain. I’m icing 3 to 4 hours with the ice machine every day keeping my leg elevated I believe I’m doing all the right things and I know I can make it just feeling sad

You’re experiencing the energy drain times 2, with 2 major surgeries so close together.

This is just my personal opinion, but I believe that even though we are given anesthesia so that we don’t feel or remember the surgery, I think somewhere our brain does remember it and it’s sad to have been so traumatized. I cried buckets the first several months of my recovery. Sometimes I would just wake up crying. Try to keep in mind it’s temporary. :console2:

You’re experiencing the energy drain times 2, with 2 major surgeries so close together.

This is just my personal opinion, but I believe that even though we are given anesthesia so that we don’t feel or remember the surgery, I think somewhere our brain does remember it and it’s sad to have been so traumatized. I cried buckets the first several months of my recovery. Sometimes I would just wake up crying. Try to keep in mind it’s temporary. :console2:
I so agree with you, I have no desire to eat, read, or even talk to people ( thank goddess for text). I know it will return

I know it’s hard to keep in mind that it’s temporary when we’re right in the middle of it.

I had no clue what I was in for when I agreed to my surgery. My recovery was a shock! And not only was I sad and crying a lot, but I was also angry that no one told me what to expect.

Thankfully I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op and learned all the things I should have been told.

Sending you warm thoughts through cyberspace from New Zealand. Keep talking to us here, we do understand and feel for you @winemama
Thank you so much. Warm thoughts back at you from Ohio USA you are right, I wish I had a little more information on how bad it hurts, then I guess no one would ever had it done

I think I am glad I didn't fully understand how difficult this surgery is in the early stages of recovery - I may not have done it! Seriously, I am so glad now that I have my new knees, it's now just time and patience

I had my second TKR the same day as you, but my first was last July - I can't even imagine how tough it must be going through the second one so soon! I completely understand about the depression; its a real thing - the last two nights have been very rough for me as well. Glad you've found the weighted blanket to be helpful; it's very hard to get better without good rest. I'll be sending supportive thoughts your way tonight.

I have spent most of the evening reading this blog, I’m very impressed with how supportive everyone is. Somehow the pain lessons when I’m reading about what everybody else is going through, takes my mind off of it, made me kind of happy thank you everyone for the great thoughts.

I had my second TKR the same day as you, but my first was last July - I can't even imagine how tough it must be going through the second one so soon! I completely understand about the depression; its a real thing - the last two nights have been very rough for me as well. Glad you've found the weighted blanket to be helpful; it's very hard to get better without good rest. I'll be sending supportive thoughts your way tonight.
Maybe we can spend some time texting back-and-forth complaining about what’s going on since we had our surgery on the same day.

I’m finding with this knee surgery, that the muscles running down my shin and side of my shin are really really sore I actually hurt more there when I try to do heel slides laying down is this normal?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom