2 new hips for my birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob A.

By the time I turn 52 this October I should have 2 new hips. Saw a new surgeon last night and based on the latest xrays we decided to go ahead and schedule surgery. From what I could tell, the higher levels of pain and stiffness I have been having these last few months are due to bone on bone on both sides now as well as growths toward the bottom of the joint. It looked as if my right hip has sunk into the socket a bit which I suppose is not helping my stride too much. For whatever reason it appears that the degradation of the joint has increased some over the last year or two. He told me that he would have guessed I was in my 60's based on the condition of the joints.

This surgeon is going to do both hips together using a minimal invasive technique. He will not be cutting muscle and is using a stryker ceramic prosthesis with a polyester socket liner. He seems to think its the best device to use with his technique. My wife (who is a PT) asked him about the precautions afterward and he said there were none. As long as I didn't do anything stupid (his words) I should be up and about and back to a normal routine between 2 to 4 weeks postop. I don't think my wife would have believed him except that she had one of his patients last year (also a bilat hip) and he was doing great at 2 weeks. It was at her suggestion that I made the appointment with him and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the extra money for the copays wont sink this boat before it leaves the harbor since the hospital is out of network.

Best wishes on you upcoming double. I am a recovering double THR patient, and feel really well at 5 months (this week). I had a MIS posterior approach, with all metal S&N joints. I started back to work off pain meds at 4 weeks, using a cane, but driving and getting around just fine. Lost the cane and started bowling again at 6 weeks...a bit tender, but I was rolling above my average game almost immediately.

As you can tell in the forum posts...the recovery times seem all over the map, but the relief should be pretty immediate...for me the post surgery pain was 0-1...the arthritis pain before surgery was a grindingly solid and daily 8-9. Sounds like you are getting some advanced techniques and joints as well. Again, best wishes and congratulations for setting the date...that was the hardest part for me.

Bruce

Bob-
Sometimes that's the hardest thing to do. (Set the date).Once done you will be glad you had it taken care of. Welcome to the site. You will not "meet" a finer group of people anywhere. I had a LTHR just under 3 months ago and get more of my old life back every day. Again, Welcome.
-Gary

BOB,
Welcome. I had my right hip replaced 6 weeks ago. Good for you doing them both at the same time. My other hip is behaving well so that was not a choice for me.

Good Luck, we are all here for you. Did your post say the date of your surgery?
I am still taking pain meds for a combination of issues, so I could have missed your date!!
Judy in So Cal

Welcome and Good luck on your upcomming surgery on both hips. I think that is wonderful to get them done and over with and you will be back to normal in no time.
Post 10 weeks waiting to have left hip done. This is a good place to post if you have questions or concerns.

BOB,
Welcome. I had my right hip replaced 6 weeks ago. Good for you doing them both at the same time. My other hip is behaving well so that was not a choice for me.

Good Luck, we are all here for you. Did your post say the date of your surgery?
I am still taking pain meds for a combination of issues, so I could have missed your date!!
Judy in So Cal

Surgery is set for October 1st. Looking forward to the relief, not so much the operation. We are first of the day, have to be at the hospital at 530 in the morning for 730 start.

5.30am? Yikes! Still, is worth it to be first on the list. Glad to hear you had such a satisfactory consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie