• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning 2 hole Dynamic hip screw repair

Brassic

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm so glad I found this forum. I came out of hospital 3 weeks ago after a femural neck fracture due do a rock climbing fall. I was discharged 3 days after having my operation but not really told much. I was sent home on crutches and told to do some bed exercises but I just assumed I'd be in agony for months. The first few days, I had to get out and although my knee swelled up alot and and movement was limited, it seems pretty good now and I was wondering if I'm ok to walk on it or put some weight on it. All the info on line seems to say walk on it as soon as you can, so for the last 3 days I've been using 1 crutch and hobbling about more and more. There's hardly any pain now and I can walk on it but I'm just a bit worried I may damage something. Can anyone please advise me. I don't have a follow up appointment till the 8th of may and I really want to get walking if it's safe to do so. Many thanks, Andy age 57

Hi @Brassic and :welome:to BoneSmart, we’re happy to see you here but sorry it was due to an accident!
So, it sounds like you have your fractured neck of the femur repaired or as you said “pinned”.
Does this mean you didn’t have a hip replacement?
If I have it right, I would heartily recommend you speak to your surgeon’s medical team about your activity levels.
It’s hard to know without more information what was or wasn’t done in your procedure.
What was the actual surgery date and which leg was involved?
We like to give our members a signature, it helps anyone reading your thread to easily see the details involved. Which means better advice!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
The great news is that you aren’t having much pain, isn’t that amazing after what sounds like a significant injury?
We have some great recovery articles and I’m not sure they are fully applicable in your case, but I bet you will still find some good advice in them.
Please check with your Dr. office and if you don’t mind, let us know what they say about activity levels.
The first thing that came to mind was that you want that fracture to knit together correctly.

Hi sorry I neglected to say. It was a closed femural neck fracture to right hip and they were going to replace the hip then the op was delayed a day or two and they decided to pin it due to my age. I also broke 6 ribs which made it very painful and gave me more kip and still are but nothing was done for the ribs apart from they gave me some ibuprofen on release for 10 days. I'm off the meds now but being a very active person I found it hard to stay still. The soreness is almost nill to the hip now and due to having a dog I have to at least get the dog out a few times a day as I don't really have much help. The op was done by Stockport NHS UK but as you are probably aware, they are very under staffed and busy so I wasn't told much and my doctor said I really need to speak to the surgeon as you said but a lot of other hospitals seem to give info online that it's ok to walk on it. The only thing they did say was that there's a chance of odteo necrosis but there's no way to know this for a while. I have an appointment tomorrow with my own doctors physio so maybe they will be able to help me. Thanks for the quick response.

Hi Brassic I also had a femural neck fracture in September 2020 due to a nasty fall and had a dynamic hip screw repair. You sound as if you are doing amazing in your recovery well done. Unfortunately I am still struggling with my recovery, they have said I have nerve damage. I am a lot older than you and also have osteoporosis, but was very active before this accident and finding it very frustrating. I have had physio and they have more or less said there is not much more I can do to improve the situation, so it's a case of just get on with it. Keep up the good work, you are the only other person I have seen in forum that has had a dynamic screw surgery.

Ooof, Adam,, as a person who’s fractured ribs, you have my complete sympathy! For me the muscle spasms with them were the worst.
You sound like you are dealing with it all as best you can..
That’s a shame about the limited information upon discharge.
I was able to add the prefix of ‘neck of femur repair’ to your thread. That will help our members find you with hopefully some advice.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017