TKR #2 done

Saw my OS's PA today and we discussed my random knee pain. She thought that it is due to my extension being at 10° which is stressing the leg muscle and making it spasm. My instructions are to work on my extension. She recommended that I lie on my stomach on the bed and let my lower leg(s) dangle for as long as I can tolerate it.

I admit that I haven't been as diligent about the exercises on knee 2 and haven't been walking as much as I did with knee 1. I am going to try and get back on track focusing on my extension. Keeping the BoneSmart philosophy in mind of course.

Went to the gym today and added the leg machines back in - at very low weight. Some I believe I can do higher weight but I am going to take it slow. One machine that is for the lateral obliques requires being able to kneel and I was able to use that one too. My newest knee protested slightly but it was pretty tolerable.

It still feels a little weird kneeling but I'm trying to build up a tolerance to it. I bought a gardening bench and I'm hoping it will help. Trying to weed while standing is a real back killer.

We'll see tomorrow if I joined the ODIC club!

Some I believe I can do higher weight but I am going to take it slow.
You are wise :yes:.
Trying to weed while standing is a real back killer.
This is true and I still do it, unfortunately. I need to get some sort of gardening bench too but I'm hopeful that when I need to do some serious weeding, that my new knee will be tolerant of being kneeled on with a thick foam pad. Now if the weather would just cooperate!

@Susie-Q here's the bench I got. It flips over for kneeling. I opted for the heavy duty one. I'm a little concerned that it may be a little unstable for sitting on so I will need to keep that in mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220419-114105_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-114105_Chrome.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 58
@Susie-Q and @Claire56 i have one of those and they are not stable at all if you’re using it to sit on. Also, depending on your height, it is pretty low. I’m 5’10” and it’s hard to stand up from for me. Just be careful!

I’m 5’10” and it’s hard to stand up from for me
This would be my problem as well. I'm also 5'10". I inherited a garden seat from my mother in law that you can pivot around on but even on it's highest setting when I sit on it my knees are above my hips. Very difficult for me to get up when I'm sitting that low. They need to make a garden seat for tall people!!!

What I would like is a grabber that I can use to pull weeds without it disrupting the stones around them!

I am going to try and get back on track focusing on my extension.
My extension was slower coming, too. The easiest, less painful way I was able better my extension was to walk with a longer than normal stride for me. I made sure my heel went down first and that rolled up to the toes. (This longer stride can throw you off balance, so make sure you have something you can grab on to if you start to stumble. This worked well for me, but it took a few weeks to see a marked improvement, but it did improve without any stretching exercises!

It has been a week and a half since my last leg spasms so hopefully working on leg extension is helping.

Right knee is still a little swollen but is getting less stiff and uncomfortable. I have been able to walk farther without any negative effects. Still not walking very fast. Still carrying my cane.

I am trying to add another gym day to my week. I have been doing 2 days and want to be doing 3. Went Saturday afternoon but don't think that is going to work very well for me. I'm going to try Friday next week. I also volunteer on Fridays so we'll see how tired it makes me. I was doing both on the same day before my first knee surgery.

Be sure to listen to your knee in regards to adding more gym time.

@FourCats I am trying to be real cautious about what I do regarding my legs. At this point I'm almost embarrassed about how low the settings are. I'm going to try and "sneak up" on my old settings.

I have been getting more concerned about my general stamina. I've noticed that I tire more quickly. Weather has not been very good here so I haven't been walking as much as I usually do.

FINALLY the weather has been cooperative and I've been able to get some gardening done. Mostly weeding but it is pretty satisfying to see things cleaned up. One good thing about all the rain we have had is it makes t he weeding easier. I haven't done anything since last August. All next week is supposed to be sunny and warm so I may go to my favorite garden store and see what tickles my fancy :flwrysmile:

I have brought my bike out of storage but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. Shouldn't be long though!

Yay! There really is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Went to my favorite greenhouse and picked up some flowers. Husband asked what I got but he gave me a blank look when I told him. He is definitely not a gardener! :rotfl: I haven't planted them yet. Some are going in planters and the rest in my front garden. Went for a walk without my cane instead. Still feel I need to ration my energy.

I haven't had any more muscle spasms in 3 weeks so it looks like improving my extension has helped. Right knee is still pretty stiff when I get up in the morning and after sitting for a while but eases after a few steps.

I noticed a few weeks ago that my left kneecap is pretty well defined and am curious to see how much longer it will be until the right one makes it's "appearance". Figure it is a good gage of the swelling.

I'm glad I had my knees replaced. I already feel more comfortable than before surgery and I'm sure it will continue to get better.

A fellow knee replacement "club member" noticed me using the leg extension and leg curl machines at the gym and told me that his doctor had told him not to use them. I followed up with my doctor's PA and she told me they don't like them even for healthy knees because they feel they are hard on the knees. Decided to stop using those to be on the safe side.

It is so nice to be able to enjoy activities that involve walking again.

A fellow knee replacement "club member" noticed me using the leg extension and leg curl machines at the gym and told me that his doctor had told him not to use them. I followed up with my doctor's PA and she told me they don't like them even for healthy knees because they feel they are hard on the knees. Decided to stop using those to be on the safe side.
Oh yes, I completely agree with the tip you got from your club member buddy. Those machines put an awful lot of stress on the implants. You want it to last a long time!

A fellow knee replacement "club member" noticed me using the leg extension and leg curl machines at the gym and told me that his doctor had told him not to use them.

Got on my road bike for the first time since surgery. A little awkward getting on. My older knee/leg is easier to get over the bike at this point. Last year I wasn't able to bend one knee enough to get my foot on the pedal. No problem now ☺. I was a little wobbly at first but it will get better. I can tell that my knees/quads are a little weak.

I hope to ride some on a regular basis and work up the distance gradually like I did with the walking.

Walking continues to feel better and better. Extension is still not quite where I'd like it to be but ok.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom