TKR #2 done

Second knee is now done. Can someone update my signature to add ",#2 done "

This time my surgery was outpatient. Surgery was at 7:30 and I was home by 3:30. No spinal but did get a nerve block. It is supposed to last 12 to 18 hours so it could wear off any time now. :nah:I don't have "log leg" but it is too painful to lift it without help. Surgery was done under general anesthesia.

I have an ace bandage on my leg and it is insulating my knee from the ice so I don't think I am getting much benefit from it but I am icing anyway. Can't tell how much swelling because of the bandage. Pain level is tolerable, no nausea, just pretty tired.

Hi and Welcome back to recovery! Best wishes for an uneventful recovery! I will change your title for you.

Here’s a refresher course for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Easing into the prescribed exercises. Did ankle pumps right away, have been doing some heal slides and just tried the stationary bike. After rocking a bit, I was able to do some full rotations! It took me about 3 weeks to do it with the other knee. Still can't lift the leg without assistance but I expect that will come.

Just go easy with the stationary bike, you don't want to upset your knee at this early stage, heal slides and ankle pumps are really the only exercises you need at this stage, and if you don't do them it's not a big deal, right now your knee needs to heal internally, plenty of RIME.
Plus take my advice and don't compare the knees.

Glad you are through your surgery and home back on the road to recovery. As you have had a nerve block I would go easy on the exercises as it really does dull most of the pain for quite a few days so very easy to overdo it. Sending positive vibes for a smooth recovery journey and a future with two pain free working knees!

Every knee is different and my second definitely is. Not necessarily in a bad way though. Some swelling from toes to thigh, brusing on calf and back of knee. Walking around the house without aids, haven't gone for a walk outside yet. Weather is stymieing that. Am using the bike for 5 minutes 3 times a day and doing other stretches at random times.

Can't lift my leg above hip level when seated yet. I was able to do that right away with the first knee. Makes it a challenge to elevate. Can sit comfortably in a chair with both feet on the floor which I couldn't with the first. Range of motion is also better.

Been reducing pain meds, no oxycodone for about 2 days and extra strength Tylenol mainly at night. The intestinal logjam has cleared so i have stopped taking the prescribed stool softener. Otherwise still taking the other prescriptions.

Great update. You are doing amazingly well and so good to be off the oxycodone already.
So far so good and encouraging reading for all those who are about to get their own surgeries.

I wouldn't call yours a mundane recovery, I'd call it amazing!! It's pretty rare to be this pain-free and have your kind of ROM this early. It's good for others to see there are both sides of the spectrum in this recovery..... :wow:

Went for a walk today using my cane and it went well. Don't know how far it was but it took me just under 1/2 hour.

Only taking Tylenol at night along with celebrex, Lyrica, a protonic, and a baby asprin. Pain is at a pretty tolerable level.

What great news @Claire56! I'm so glad you're healing smoothly and quickly.

Walking is my jam. Early on, I measured my walks in number of row houses I passed where each row home is about 14 feet wide. Getting down the steps to the street and then walking about 4 houses and back was quite the feat! I gradually walked farther, with and without walking aids, without a limp. Slow and steady.

Removed the bandage this morning as instructed and I think the incision looks great. I posted a picture in the badge of honor section.

I haven't gone for a walk in a few days, the weather has been bad. Today is supposed to be sunny but with a high of only 21° F. May go out anyway. More concerned about footing than the cold. We didn't have as much snow as expected yesterday and it looks pretty good, just a little dusting.

Good luck if you decide to take a walk. The cold really affected my knee joint on a visit to Chicago recently. I found that it literally stopped bending fully and I had a very stiff legged walk back. Stiffness remained until I used a hot pad for 15 minutes. Funnily enough the 5 yr old TKR was just as affected.

@Claire56 sounds like you are doing great. I'm not brave enough to walk in my yard on the snow by myself. I could walk on my deck to get fresh air and when I am in the bedroom doing my exercises now also for the soon to be operated knee too I open the window wide open! Only going to necessary doctor appointment until the surgery. Keep up the great recovery.

@patriciad re. Knee stiffness when cold. Maybe we should revive the 80s leg warmers:heehee:

@jaspa I'm leary about walking through any snow more than an inch at this point. There are no sidewalks in our neighborhood but it is VERY quiet and folks here walk in the street. The streets are generally kept pretty clear unless we get a pretty heavy snowfall.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back